No announcement yet.

Suggestion. NMEA GPS support via Bluetooth

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion. NMEA GPS support via Bluetooth

The Earthmate (android) app works, but it's very limited and the maps are too poor.

I do trekking for many years.

I've been using the OziExplorer app since 2008, with my maps (very detailed).

The Android smartpone is paired with an external Bluetooth GPS (Qstarz BT-Q1000X) that attaches to the backpack, in the best position in view of the sky.

This is a great configuration for me. Tested over the years.

Now I bought inReach Mini, thinking of being able to use it as an external GPS.

But it does not work.

When I connect inReach Mini to Android, I get the error:

Connection error. Read failed. Sock might closed or timeout. RET: -1

I suggest to Garmin to implement in InReach Mini, the GPS NMEA function, via bluetooth.

Thank you

Maybe you should try an iPhone. With iOS the inReach is treated as an external GPS by location services and is therefore available as a GPS source to any app on the iPhone. This is not true on Android devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob.Shelley View Post
      Maybe you should try an iPhone. With iOS the inReach is treated as an external GPS by location services and is therefore available as a GPS source to any app on the iPhone. This is not true on Android devices.
      Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a full function stand alone GPS than to downgrade the phone to an iPhone?

Comment

Originally posted by jpferguson View Post

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a full function stand alone GPS than to downgrade the phone to an iPhone?
        I think what he's trying to say is that it actually works on iOS.

Comment

Working...
        X