No announcement yet.

VIRB Basic and G-metrix?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRB Basic and G-metrix?

Hello all, I have a regular Garmin VIRB Basic. No ultra or elite or X or anything like that. Just a VIRB Basic. What I'm trying to determine is if my VIRB Basic has G-metrix capabilities. I have taken video from the VIRB and imported it into VIRB Edit but G-metrix never show up on the video even when I select overlays. And edit (for Windows) tells me there is no GPS connected nor is there any option to connect a GPS (even when the VIRB Basic is still connected to the laptop). Also, when I'm importing a clip there are three horizontal columns on my screen. G-metrix imported, Clips successfully imported, and Optimizing. As soon as a clip starts importing the G-metrix column reads: 0% in the bar with a check mark after it. The clip imports and optimizes...but no G-metrix.

So am I missing a step or doing something incorrectly...or are there no G-metrix with the VIRB Basic?

Thanks in advance!

Also, in VIRB edit when I click on G-metrix I get a message stating there is no G-metrix for this video, and there is a button labeled "Import G-metrix"...when I click on that the next screen displays "devices" but when I click on it I get the message there are no GPS devices connected. And there's no way to add one. Bear in mind, the VIRB Basic is still connected to the laptop as I'm doing this.

Comment

The VIRB basic does not have any g-metrix sensors. No GPS, no compass, no altimeter, no accelerometers.
      Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe
      Retired: eTrex Legend, Swim

Comment

Originally posted by tmk2 View Post
        The VIRB basic does not have any g-metrix sensors. No GPS, no compass, no altimeter, no accelerometers.
        Thank you! I couldn't find this info anywhere. Hopefully this thread will come up in search results if someone else ever has this question.

Comment

The Garmin website still holds the specs for this model, in the "Previous models" section: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/119592#specs
          Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe
          Retired: eTrex Legend, Swim

Comment

I've always wondered if Garmin used the same physical motherboard for both the Virb and Virb Elite, but just disabled all the sensors and gps in the programming.

Why pay for manufacturing two different boards when simply changing the programming would make two different models?

Comment

Changes in manufacturing are not that expensive, especially when you're just talking about leaving sensor components out. Make a run with all components for $$$, then make a run without the sensors for $$. Money saved, cheaper model available, no changes needed in tooling.

Comment

Working...
              X