Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virb Elite takes a very long time to turn off.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virb Elite takes a very long time to turn off.

Most of the time my old Virb Elite (latest firmware) works just fine. But sometimes, when I try to turn the camera off by sliding the rec slider, the camera stops recording, displays the on/off symbol, and takes a very long time to turn off completely. And by "very long" I mean 5-10 minutes. When the camera is in the powering off state, it does not react to anything. It cannot be turned on again, it does not start recording on sliding the rec slider. The immediate remedy is to take out the battery, but this works only to the next on/off cycle. The situation repeats until I erase the SD card. Then the camera operates normally for some time, but sooner or later the problem reappears.

Has anyone encountered this? Does anyone know a solution?
    Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe
    Retired: eTrex Legend, Swim

Sorry so late on the reply. Mine was doing the same thing recently. Reposition your SD card further 'in' to the slot after you lock it down.

This worked immediately for me, please let me know here if you experience success.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I remember that some time ago I had this problem with the SD card as it got loose when the cam was subject to vibration, and I had to reposition it to make it work again. It is quite possible that my problem comes from badly aligned SD card. Thanks for the advice. Will try it out shortly and I will let you know if it helped.
      Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite, tempe

Comment

I would also advise trying a different SD card. I've had a few cards crap out on me, and the camera starts doing things like this.

Comment

Now my camera not only takes a long time to switch off, but also started to produce movie clips, which are corrupt. Some of them exhibit artifacts when playing back, others do not play back at all. This is new, because all previous clips were perfectly fine, even when the camera would not switch off. So either my camera is dying or indeed the SD card is broken. Now I've put another card into the cam (the one that came in a bundle with the camera) and will be doing further tests, and as soon as I have some conclusive results, I will post here.

Anyway, thanks again for your support.

Comment

Dying batteries with whacko voltages/spikes can do weird things like that too. Maybe connect to an external power source and test it that way, as well...

Comment

I have 3 batteries. All of them exhibit the same symptoms, so I guess it's not a battery problem.

Comment

Ok, guys, I replaced the SD card with another one (the one that came in a bundle with the camera). The problem is still there, but now I have some more interesting observations.

1. The camera still takes a long time to turn off, but now it is roughly half the time (2-3 minutes) than with the previous card. The old card was 32 GB, the current is 16 GB. Maybe just a coincidence, but it looks like the camera is trying to do something to the card that is dependent on the size of the card.
                2. The problem appears only when I turn the camera off by sliding the rec slider. When I switch it off with the on/off button, the camera turns off immediately.
                3. The problem is now 100% repeatable (except when point 2 applies). Some time ago it wasn't, i.e. sometimes the camera turned off as expected most of the time, and only sometimes took more time. So things got worse.
                4. The recordings are fine. Those corruptions I wrote about earlier were apparently due to SD card damage, but this had nothing to do with the on/off problem and was just a coincidence, since the new card records just fine, but the on/off problem is still there.
                5. There is nothing suspicious in the logs.

Given all the points above I'm starting to think if there is something wrong with rec slider, mechanically or electrically.

Comment

Interesting the time got cut in half. Seems like its card-related, but I'm running a 64 GB and getting 'instant-off' when I click the slider back. Have you tried going into the Virb settings and 'erase' the sd card? (maybe that's a format) Then film something and see if the shutdown time is faster. setup > card > erase

Comment

This is exactly what I tried many times. Indeed, it seems to format the card, and it does help for some time, but sooner or later the problem returns.

Comment

Oh, boy. I did some extensive tests with a stopwatch and NOW I have some interesting observations:

The camera takes roughly 4 minutes to turn off, but counting not from pulling the rec slider to turn off, but from the START OF RECORDING!!!
                      Examples:
                      1. Recording time: 0:15, camera turns off 4:30 minutes after start, i.e. 4:15 from slider off switch.
                      2. Recording time: 1:00, camera turns off 4:00 minutes after start, i.e. 3:00 from slider off switch.
                      3. Recording time: 3:00, camera turns off 3:42 minutes after start, i.e. 0:42 from slider off switch.
                      4. Recording time: 4:00, camera turns off 4:15 minutes after start, i.e. 0:15 from slider off switch.
                      5. Recording time: 5:00 or longer, camera turns off almost immediately.

So my conclusion is that when a recording is initiated by the rec slider, the camera won't turn off sooner than about 4:00 minutes have passed since rec start. With the old SD card (which was twice as large) the time was roughly double (i.e. 8:00-10:00), but I haven't measured it with a stopwatch.
                      To summarize: The problem manifests itself for short recordings, the longer the recording, the less pronounced the problem is, and for recordings longer than 4:30-5:00 there is no problem at all.

Just let me remind you, that this only happens when I turn the camera on by the rec slider. When I turn it on with the on/off switch, and then start recording with the rec slider, the camera turns off immediately no matter how long it records.

Comment

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...won-t-shutdown

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...ng-lasts-2mins

Apparently Master Reset won't do anything. Just checked my Virb Elite (system > about ) and I'm running Software 4.00, WLAN Version 1.20...I had the same shutdown problems you describe, I only formatted the card in my computer (full format, then quick format, just to be sure) and made sure the card was fully seated towards the front of the camera and now I don't have the shutdown problem. When I only use the slider to record on/off, and I turn it off, it flashes an sd card image and the power symbol and then shuts off immediately, all within about a second.

Try resetting all camera settings. (setup > system > reset settings) Keep WIFI turned off.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas at this point.
                        Last edited by TEAM_360; 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

For some reason I missed those forum topics when I did a search. Thanks for pointing me at them. Anyway, I'll definitely try a master reset, although I think that I tried it already at some point. Not sure, though. I'll also try the other tips as well. Whatever the result will be, I appreciate your help.

Comment

Any update? Just wondering if anything worked...

Comment

Sorry, I was out of town for a couple of days because of a race and I had no time to do further tests, but now I'm back and should be able to provide some feedback soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X