Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

NEW VIRB Ultra ??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW VIRB Ultra ??

Hello VIRB Ultra 30 is release in August 2016, do you have news about the futur VIRB (not the 360) ?? thanks

Currently, there are none. But it can be expected, that garmin will release something against the brand new GoPro 6.
    Which totally copied the GPS & Sensor functionality from Garmin

Last year, Garmin was a bit earlier with their release and GoPro was convenient and waterproof without a case. Probably Garmin doesnt want to make the same little mistake again and release their device later.
    From my point of view, there is only space for improvements, right now. Faster WiFi, more battery, better mobile-app connection, different/better/waterproof-case, better image quality and so on.
    It already got everything, which is needed and more or less possible

By the way, the best indicator for a replacement device, is a price drop. Which currently didn?t happen
    Devices: Forerunner 405, Vivoactive & Virb X & XE
    GitHub: Read diagnostic system via Bluetooth
    YouTube: My channel
    App: Stretch

Comment

Yes i hope too they propose new action cam this year ! i d like to have cam waterproof without any additional housing, lighter, stabilization better in 4K, big life battery and better image 4K !
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 10-01-2017, 04:54 PM. Reason: Please try not to quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HerrRiebmann View Post
        Which totally copied the GPS & Sensor functionality from Garmin
        Say what? I don't remember seeing that in DC Rainmaker's review, and it says in the comparison table "ANT+ sensors: NO". Or are you being sarcastic?

The big difference between VIRBs and GoPro is the sensor data. Don't need it, then GoPro is said to have a little better image quality. Otherwise, the VIRB (I own an Elite and a 360) makes it very easy to add sensor data to your video. You can do that with VIRB Edit and GoPro video, but it takes longer. As for the question see September 29, 2017 at 5:06 am and the followup comment by Ray. (That's not the way that link looks on the clipboard. Hope it looks and works ok elsewhere. Horrible new feature of the forums or of High Sierra?)

Comment

Nope, I am not sarcastic.
          They added GPS on GoPro 5, but it does nothing more, then sending the last location to you phone if you loose it.
          The 6 also got (built in) gyroscopic sensors, but there is no further information what you can to with it. Maybe it is also for internal use only, as a stabilizer or something. But it could even be, that they enhance their cutting software. Who knows...
          To be competitive, they have to do something to keep up.

Comment

Well no, the hero 5 black can use it for telemetry like the Garmin. Just not as good. I feel that it is a bit early for 4K 60 and the waterproof case doesn't bother me, I actually like it more that way, just a little bit more protection. Only thing they need to do is make it more power efficient so we have better battery life.

Comment

I'm in no rush for a new model, Ultra 30 was expensive enough...

Things they NEED to improve:

Battery life - limited though
              GPS lock
              Smart recording switch in and out of the case (Mine doesn't work unless I turn the unit on)
              Better stabilisation - GP 6 looks very good at it.
              Better connectivity to other devices -BT mics, WiFi to mobiles - including better, quicker mobile apps. It's rubbish on my Xperia XA1 but fantastic on an iPhone 6
              I'm sure there are many more flaws people want ironing out too,.

Comment

They'll probably solve battery life the same way they've done it on the 360. The (removable) internal battery on a 360 lasts about an hour, but the camera has power contacts on the outside of the case, and Garmin sells a "powered mount". (I thought the Ultra had similar contacts? I guess they never actually used them for anything.) Since getting this mount and a USB battery, I've recorded many 3 hour videos with my 360, with the camera on the entire time. Stabilization on the 360 is very good, although I carry it on top of my helmet rather than on the handlebars as I did my Elite (where stabilization was lousy) so it's better protected from road shock. So Garmin already sells a camera where these particular problems are mostly solved.

Comment

Battery-Life is state of the art. All Action-Cam's last at least max. 1,5 hours (most without GPS, Gyro, Bluetooth, ANT+, etc).
                  The outside-connector and/or changeable batteries are mandatory, to workaround that!

The stabilizer is quite good on virb30 (from my personal experience). GP 6 is brand new, not deep tested from real users and I don't think, that you can compare it (yet).
                  But off course, everything can be optimized. As I suggested on my own: WiFi - App connection, performance, ect.

The most important thing would be, and I prefer that overall: Make the devices and software work! That is enough and more important then some percentage points after the comma in image quality

Comment

Any news regarding an update of the virb ultra 30 model?
                    Wish they announce something soon.

Comment

It can be expected to see a new GoPro, soon. The price for Hero 6 (Black) just drops about 100 bucks (€ and $).
                      In the past, Garmin and GoPro announced their flagships in between a short period of time, to stay competitive.

Off course just a guess, but I think there will be something new in the next month.
                      GoPro included GPS in their Hero 5 and some Gyro in 6. But it wasn´t possible to do much with that. Since they bought DashWare, it will be quite interesting, which ideas from garmins G-Metrix they copied.
                      And what Garmin will announce against that

Comment

There was just a firmware update for the Ultra 30 a few days ago. HDR was implemented! So I doubt they will release anythin soon and I wish they focus more on the virb edit app (i.e. I miss color grading). The hardware is fine, I don't need anything else but image quality can be substantially increased by post processing and this is where Virb Edit is behind Gopro studio except for the gmetrics.

Comment

I hope that the new Virb will use the same waterproof body as old Virb XE. The separate case is uncomfortable to use. For me the action camera means, that I can use it in every situation. In rainy, sunny, underwater etc conditions, without extra silly cases...

Comment

There are + and - of an external case. The + is that you have a choice, plus if it is damaged you replace it. The - is that is is kind of bulky but worst of all no external loading, although partially solved with a second battery.

Comment

I have both of those cameras and found that old Virb XE is more protective in main conditions for me. If I ride on bike, boat, fishing or smthng else, I dont have to be worry about waterproofing.
                              Otherwise If I use the Ultra 30 I have to take extra the external case with me and yes, changing the battery and charging is not comfortable at all. Also using with power bank is not possible.
                              The cost of Virb XE body kit with same price compared with Ultra 30 waterproof case... So no big difference here...
                              Last edited by Illithealmighty; 04-27-2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X