No announcement yet.

VIRB X/XE and Feiyu Tech gimbals?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRB X/XE and Feiyu Tech gimbals?

Has someone tested the new VIRB with a G4 or WG-3 gimbal? I'm not so concerned about fit, but I wonder if the weight difference between a GoPro and a VIRB renders the gimbal useless.
    Fenix 3 (manual) + VIRB XE (manual) + VIRB Ultra 30 (manual)
    RFTM

Based on the max camera weight on the Amazon page (150g) and Garmin's specs for the VIRB (151.7g - they don't say whether that includes the battery), it seems like the gimbal would have a hard time moving the VIRB X around.

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I guess I'll have to keep my older GoPro in case I decide to get a gimbal...

Edit:
      I found this gimbal. Notice the description:

This gimbal was used to film Garmin's new promo video for their new VIRB XE, the virb is quite a bit heavier that then GoPro yet with a small counter weight, the EVO gimbal handled it perfectly.
      I'll what I can find about those counterweights.
      Last edited by vic_06; 09-15-2015, 01:08 PM.
      RFTM

Comment

I got an answer:

Hi,

Thanks for your email. The gimbal actually works with the VIRB XE without the counterweights, but it is best to have some counterbalancing weights so the motors dont work as hard to keep the gimbal level. The counter weights that we used were simply 1" steel round rods cut to 1/2" lengths. We then painted them and used a double sided 3M VHB adhesive to stick them to the pitch motor of the gimbal - this counter balances the roll axis enough to pretty much balance it out.

Another technique is to use peel and stick rim weights that you can get at your local automotive store.

If you would like we can set you up with the counter weight on the gimbal pre installed for you.

Thanks,
        Peter
        RFTM

Comment

Originally posted by vic_06 View Post
          I got an answer:
          Wow, so elaborate, and offered to set it up for you... that's awesome! Nice find!

Comment

Slick - Crowdfunded Stabilizer

I saw this and would think that this might work with the Garmin Virb X/XE as well. I'm looking to see if I can contact the folks to verify. I like the fact that is supposed to be water proof as well!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...eadycam#/story
            Edge 1000 | Virb Ultra 30 | Varia Vision & Radar

Comment

subscribing to this thread to learn more, very keen to get a gimbal for Virb XE

Comment

Gimbal for virbe xe

Originally posted by vic_06 View Post
                I got an answer:
                Peter,

Can you include a link and point of contact for me to pick up the gimbal with the counter balance pre-installed?

Thank you,
                Kenneth

Comment

here you go: http://xproheli.com/products/steadyg...mbal-for-gopro
                  I emailed [email protected] and I got an answer from Peter
                  RFTM

Comment

I ran into a guy at Youtube that makes camera accessories. He shows a purpose built VIRB XE mount for a Zhiyun Zi Pro gimbal. Interestingly, the gimbal does not require modification.

RFTM

Comment

Stupid limits of ONE video per post and 120 seconds between posts....

RFTM

Comment

After purchasing a 3 axis gimbal, primary for my smartphone, I bought a 1 axis stabilizer for my Virb X & XE.
                        3 axis is great for walking around or creating timelaps videos with moving from point to point. To attach the Virb to my motorbike, I needed a solution with one axis and which is capable of high wind speeds.
                        And I found the "Wewow Sport Pro" which is exactly identical to the "Soocoo PS2". Some guys at a racetrack got it and it worked great.

Package:

Front mounted:

The clamps can be used for a smartphone. But there is a mount at the bottom, to attach a GoPro or Virb connector. The Clamp is only for fixture, then.

Quite close to the power-button, but still usable:

I´m looking forward to my next trackday in august. Then I´ll show it in action
                        Devices: Forerunner 405, Vivoactive & Virb X & XE
                        GitHub: Read diagnostic system via Bluetooth
                        YouTube: My channel
                        App: Stretch

Comment

Working...
                        X