Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

MapSource 6.16.0.3 Beta released

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapSource 6.16.0.3 Beta released

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4879

We released a new Beta version of 6.16 today. It addresses some of the most common crashes and even adds a few new features. There are still issues from 6.16.0.2 that have not been addressed yet, but we believe that 6.16.0.3 will be a lot more stable.

As always, please report issues to [email protected], report crashes with as much information as you can, or just reply to this thread. We greatly appreciate any feedback.

This is the change list:
    • Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash when changing the detail level after opening the settings dialog.
    • Fixed various crashes related to the map tool.
    • Fixed an issue where GPX files written by MapSource were not valid.
    • Waypoints, routes and tracks will again be sorted correctly.
    • Improved projection for Canadian map products.
    • Fixed an issue where routes would not be displayed continuously.
    • Fixed an issue with using the ENTER key in the 6-level address search (for Asian map products).
    • Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash when viewing bridge properties.
    • The unlock code list can now be sorted.
    • POI address and phone number information for waypoints is now displayed by MapSource and can be edited.

A few remarks about the projection issue: our ultimate goal is to fix the projection for all regions (just like 6.13.7). We are not quite there yet, so we use band-aids trying to fix the projection for the majority of our users.

For small map products we now (as of 6.16.0.2) use the center of the map as a reference point. So there will be no distortion at the center. The further North or South from the center you go the worse the distortion will get. This works fairly well for most of our products.

For larger products this is not ideal. For Canada especially this did not work so we put in a special fix that should make Canada-only maps less distorted where it matters (in the South).

We still allow users to change the projection angle in the registry. We decided not to openly provide a user interface for this, but made it a bit easier to change the angle without having to meddle directly in the registry. You now can hit Ctrl-Alt-A in MapSource to set the projection angle for the current map product. You will need to restart MapSource for this to have any effect.

Changes to the projection angle that you made in 6.16.0.2 will not be used (the registry location for the angle has changed). You will have to set the angle again. This was done so that the projection angle adjustment can be shared amongst Garmin applications (BaseCamp 3.0.x & MapSource 6.16.x will now both use the angle you set).
    Garmin Product Support (for questions regarding device issues, and map update questions)

this still links to 6.16.0.2 doesn't it?

edit: this is solved already.
    Last edited by MZEIST; 03-26-2010, 03:00 AM. Reason: problem solved

Comment

It links to 6.16.0.3 for me. Maybe you can try refreshing or clearing your browser cache?

In any case, this is the direct link to the installer: http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_61603Beta.exe
      Last edited by FALAGAR; 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: added direct link to installer
      Garmin Product Support (for questions regarding device issues, and map update questions)

Comment

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_61603Beta.exe

Comment

Any luck on the printing issues?

Comment

I am still looking into the printing issues. I don't think 6.16.0.3 will have fixed any of those.

Comment

So far so good. The link on the Mapsource download page got me .03beta.

I uninstalled the .02beta and cleaned the Registry before installing the .03beta. I like things clean when I'm testing ... don't need surprises.

I just downloaded some new locked maps today so I used the .03beta to unlock them and it is now cheerfully munching away to create the mapset and transfer it.

I noted one thing that was unusual. When I ran Mapsource it immediately informed me about the fact that I had a locked map product that needed to be unlocked so I followed along with it to do the unlock. I had the 25 character code so I entered that at the appropriate place in the process and the status in the product list changed to "Unlocked", as it should.

When I exited the map management dialog and returned to the map page, the product in question was displayed. That's fine because I want to select it all and transfer it to my Nuvi (the device I unlocked it for).

I selected the map selector tool from the toolbar and .... ooooops ..... there were no map tile outlines on the map display (there are 88 tiles in this product) and I was unable to select anything on the map display.

I switched to a different map product (cnna nt2010.4). The map tile outlines appeared and I was able to select tiles. So I switched back to the newly unlocked product. The tile outlines appeared properly and I was able to select as usual. All is good now.

I don't have any more unlocked products to see if this is repeatable. I could uninstall the product I just installed and start over but I don't have time. I'm trying to get my Nuvi set up for a vacation trip starting Saturday. I assume the devs can test this easily.

By the way, anybody from British Columbia, Canada, or anyone who likes to travel in BC and likes to hike, camp or take the backroads, this is a really interesting new product. It's called Backroads Mapbook. Anyone who is familiar with their printed mapbooks will be completely familiar with the electronic Garmin-compatible version. It looks wonderful ... very tasty for those of us who live for travelling the roads less travelled. It comes in a Mapsource DVD version or an SD card version.

Here's the kicker ... (GARMIN, ARE YOU LISTENING???) If you buy the SD card version and also want to be able to see the maps on your PC in Mapsource or Basecamp you can get a free download of the DVD version when you register your SD card. This is a hugely enlightened practice and makes Garmin's approach to their SD card version seem downright Stone Age.

I'll know more about how well its routing and nav features work after my vacation. Until I get out to BC I can only look at it in Mapsource and drool (it only covers the province of British Columbia .. or you can just get segments of the province if you prefer).

Sorry for the commercial, Falagar, but this could sell some more Garmin devices to folks who want to go paperless for their outback trip planning.

...ken...

Comment

New Waypoint Properties features ....

YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Exactly what I wanted!! Good job!!!

...ken...
                Attached Files

Comment

Track lines ... ugly and annoying

The track lines are just so wide and now they're charcoal instead of white .. bad to worse. The fat lines and big circles that show the track points obscure everything near them unless you are zoomed too tight to be useful.

Are the developers worried about their jobs and practicing for a job doing animation at Disney or going into the cartoon business? Sheesh!

But I do love the arrows showing the direction of travel on the track. And I especially like the way they skitter along the track as you grab and pan the map. Too cute!!!

...ken...

Comment

Waypoint sorting fixed.

Yep. So if nothing crashes in the next 24 hours the .03beta gets installed on the laptop and comes on the trip with me.

...ken...

Comment

There is a bug in the setting of manual projection angle in 6.16.0.3 beta
                      If you set it to a fixed value, using Ctrl-Alt-A, you cannot change it without setting it first to "Let MapSource chose the projection angle".
                      So you cannot change from one fixed value to another.

When "Let MapSource chose the projection angle" is selected, it should show the projection that is used.

Ctrl-Alt-A do not work if you have "KeePass" installed.
                      This is a commonly used free password handling program.
                      sigpic Do not feed the Troll

Moderator www.gps.no

Comment

Projection angle

Ctrl-Alt-A works fine for me. I can change it using the manual drop-down selection as often as I want without having to select "Let Mapsource select....".

I did the following:

Ctrl-Alt-A, changed the projection angle to 50 degreees in the dropdown, restarted Mapsource.

Ctrl-Alt-A, changed the projection angle to 35 degrees, restarted Mapsource.

Ctrl-Alt-A, changed the projection angle to 50 degrees, restarted Mapsource.

I did not have to use the other radio button at all.

Then I did a test where I changed the selection three times in a row without restarting Mapsource and I still did not have to ever select the other radio button in order to use the manual selector dropdown list. (No, it won't change the projection without restarting. I just wanted to see if I could find a scenario where I was forced to use the "Let Mapsource select...." radio button first. I could not find one.). So it appears to work for me just fine. I can choose either option any time I want. I can change the manual setting as often as I want without ever having to let Mapsource do it first.

Falagar, when the setting is to let Mapsource select, is the greyed out number in the manual selector box the currently used default that Mapsource is using?

Nice touch to give us a keyboard shortcut to change the projection angle but how will a user find it? It was a surprise when Jotne mentioned it, so I went looking to see if I could find some other reference to it and could not. So now I'm curious how Jotne found it. What did I miss?

...ken...

Comment

I should have mentioned in the previous post about the projection angle changes that the test is in Windows XP Pro SP3. The new beta is looking good enough that I'll probably put it on my Win7 laptop later today.

...ken...

Comment

Crash editing Waypoint Properties

I created a waypoint and started to add items to the Waypoint Properties.

I was able to edit the name, streetaddress, city and province, change the symbol and click a category. All works and all can be saved.

But as soon as I try to type in the phone number, it crashes. It pops the Microsoft window that says, "Gee we're sorry, your program just said hasta la vista baby. Can we send an error report to Microsort." or whatever.

The most I can do is type in the first two digits and Boom, it's gone. It makes no difference when I start typing in the field. I can do it before I enter any other data. I can do it after all other editing is done. I can do it when I first create the waypoint or after I've entered other stuff and clicked Okay, then open the waypoint properties again and try to add the phone number. No go. It crashes consistently every time.

I've attached a screen shot so you can use the data if necessary to reproduce. Don't ask for more cuz we're outa the driveway and pointed west at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

...ken...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Originally posted by KGANSHIRT View Post
                              I noted one thing that was unusual. When I ran Mapsource it immediately informed me about the fact that I had a locked map product that needed to be unlocked so I followed along with it to do the unlock. I had the 25 character code so I entered that at the appropriate place in the process and the status in the product list changed to "Unlocked", as it should.

When I exited the map management dialog and returned to the map page, the product in question was displayed. That's fine because I want to select it all and transfer it to my Nuvi (the device I unlocked it for).

I selected the map selector tool from the toolbar and .... ooooops ..... there were no map tile outlines on the map display (there are 88 tiles in this product) and I was unable to select anything on the map display.

I switched to a different map product (cnna nt2010.4). The map tile outlines appeared and I was able to select tiles. So I switched back to the newly unlocked product. The tile outlines appeared properly and I was able to select as usual. All is good now.
                              Apparently we've had this issue in 6.15 as well. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Originally posted by JOTNE View Post
                              There is a bug in the setting of manual projection angle in 6.16.0.3 beta
                              If you set it to a fixed value, using Ctrl-Alt-A, you cannot change it without setting it first to "Let MapSource chose the projection angle".
                              So you cannot change from one fixed value to another.

When "Let MapSource chose the projection angle" is selected, it should show the projection that is used.

Ctrl-Alt-A do not work if you have "KeePass" installed.
                              This is a commonly used free password handling program.
                              I cannot reproduce what you are describing there...

I was planning on displaying the currently by MapSource selected angle, but didn't get around to it yet.

Falagar, when the setting is to let Mapsource select, is the greyed out number in the manual selector box the currently used default that Mapsource is using?

Nice touch to give us a keyboard shortcut to change the projection angle but how will a user find it? It was a surprise when Jotne mentioned it, so I went looking to see if I could find some other reference to it and could not. So now I'm curious how Jotne found it. What did I miss?

...ken...
                              I believe we always use the standard projection angle (35 degrees) when it is grayed out and the user hasn't set an angle before.

The projection angle setting and the dialog is kind of an Easter Egg and not really an official feature. I did mention the key short-cut it in my post.

But as soon as I try to type in the phone number, it crashes. It pops the Microsoft window that says, "Gee we're sorry, your program just said hasta la vista baby. Can we send an error report to Microsort." or whatever.

I've attached a screen shot so you can use the data if necessary to reproduce. Don't ask for more cuz we're outa the driveway and pointed west at the crack of dawn tomorrow.
                              I can reproduce it and will see that I find a fix. Enjoy your trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X