This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill Garmin update's "sc.exe"?

After a recent update to Garmin Express, I am now blessed with a pop-up every time I boot into Windows, notifying me that "A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT" needs permission to run. This wants to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service."

I do not want to have to click on the damned window every time I reboot.

I do not need to have the "update service" running constantly. I update two or three times a year and that's enough for me.

How the bloody hell do I get rid of this? I can't even fiddle with "sc.exe" since I'm informed by Windows that I "require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file."

I am not happy.

I did change the permission on the Garmin Core Update Service to manual and it's not running now, but I still get the pop-up.

I changed the update schedule in Garmin Express to "never" but I still get the pop-up.

Unsat.

Never seen this so all I can suggest is to uninstall Express to see if that resolves it
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

SC is a Windows program and has nothing specific to do with Garmin. SC is used for installing, from a command line, Windows services (programs that run whether anyone is logged on o not).

Garmin Express uses the "Garmin Core Update Service" in order to download stuff in the background.

Did you try and install GE using a standard user account? Pretty sure you need to have Administrator privileges to install the application.
      nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.00) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Yes, after some poking around I did find that sc.exe is the (or "a"?) Windows service control manager. Fortunately, Win7 prevented me from shooting myself in the figurative foot WRT deleting/renaming it.

The update to Garmin Express was handled in the same way as always (and from an admin-privilaged account): launch, plug in GPSs (old 765, newer 2457), sit back and grind trough the updates.

I got rid of the annoying pop-up by changing the status of the Garmin Core Update Service from manual/stopped to disabled. Un-checking the Garmin Core Update Service entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services using the AutoRuns utility did nothing to stop the permission pop-up, nor did changing the service from the default "started" to "manual" and then stopping it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dous8ahk0a...ateService.jpg is a DropBox link to a photo of the offending pup-up. Tried to do a normal PrtScr capture but it was either too early in the startup sequence and the clipboard wasn't instantiated yet, or Win7 prevented PrtScr from "seeing" that. Camera worked, tho...

I could have lived with it, I guess, but one more friggin' thing to poke at on startup was too many.

Comment

I have been seeing the above issue for a while now as well, as per the description WEBBRA gave.

Unfortunately I don't want to Disabled the "Garmin Core Update Service" as I don't want to have to remember to turn it back on occasionally to check for updates and apply them. Nor do I want to set this to run with an Administrator Account. It is supposed to run using the "Local System Account", and that is what it should do, without asking for UAC permission every time the PC is rebooted.

It shouldn't require UAC permission to run, as no Windows components are being updated. Usually only map data is being updated in the ProgramData directory. I guess sometimes the Garmin software itself is being updated, but if UAC permission is required for that it should ask then, and not at every reboot. If I don't see an answer soon I may uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express. That may fix the issue. But until then . . .

This is a problem caused by Garmin, and Garmin should fix it. I was hoping that they would issue an update to Garmin Express that would fix it, but I just updated to version 2.3.14.0, rebooted and the problem persists.

How about a fix Garmin? Soon!
          Last edited by RoderickGI; 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM.
          Microsoft Lumia 650, Firmware 01078.00042.16352.50003, Hardware Revision 3.0.5.0, Radio software 10c56.00030.0001, Chip SoC 8909
          Windows 10 Mobile, Version 1703, OS Build 10.0.15063.483
          Vivoactive HR, SW Version 3.90, GPS Ver 3.00, Display Ver 2.30, TSC Ver 2.20, BLE/ANT 2.40, Sensor Ver 2.80, WHR Vers 10.02.74, Connect IQ 2.3.1
          Windows 10 Pro PC, Garmin Express 5.5.0.0

Note: Lumia 650 not on the supported list, but exceeds capabilities of phones on the list. Bluetooth 4.1 LE.

Comment

Same here on Windows 7 after update to 2.3.14.0 on September 26 and the Windows 7 updates on October 9. I get 2 of these popups at Windows startup. By the way, inspecting the certificate linked to in the popup shows that it expired 3 1/2 years ago.
            Last edited by SMITH@ALUM.MIT.EDU; 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I am seeing the popup(s) for sc.exe, but not every time. Come on, Garmin, get your act together.

Comment

I've never seen the pop ups, so can only suggest you look closer to home, ie an issue with your PC
                Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
                (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

SUSSAMB - this is NOT a problem with my PC since this popup did not start happening until the most recent updates were installed from Garmin.

Comment

That doesn't mean it's not an issue with your PC ... I have the latest updates also

Comment

Try in Garmin Express the following (as I have to translate the terms may not be accurate)
                      First go to Settings
                      There you'll find a box for having GE start whenever a GPS is connected, un-tick it.
                      Than go to Settings - Planning - Never
                      To disable GE to check for updates.
                      You also can go to Settings - Planning - Advanced
                      There you can set the time on a day of the week GE is allowed to check for updates.
                      Zumo 550, NT2008-NT2015.20, MS 6.16.3, BC 4.3.5
                      VIRB Elite (firmware 3.80)+ VIRB Remote
                      Just a Garmin user that makes a living out of solving (industrial) puzzles.

Comment

Here is one option

Originally posted by WEBBRA View Post
                        After a recent update to Garmin Express, I am now blessed with a pop-up every time I boot into Windows, notifying me that "A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT" needs permission to run. This wants to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service."

I do not want to have to click on the damned window every time I reboot.

I do not need to have the "update service" running constantly. I update two or three times a year and that's enough for me.

How the bloody hell do I get rid of this? I can't even fiddle with "sc.exe" since I'm informed by Windows that I "require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file."

I am not happy.

I did change the permission on the Garmin Core Update Service to manual and it's not running now, but I still get the pop-up.

I changed the update schedule in Garmin Express to "never" but I still get the pop-up.

Unsat.

If you don't want the dawn thing to pop up again a quick and easy way is to inactivate the "GarminExpressTrayApp" to start with Windows. Here is a quick solution in three steps:
                        1) Install CCleaner program from Piriform. The "C"rap Cleaner does many usefull things including inactivation of annoying programs starting with Windows...
                        2) Click on "Tools" vertical menu on the left, click on "Startup" submenu then a right click on "GarminExpressTrayApp" and just inactivate the process...
                        3) That's it, you're done. I'm sorry there isn't any third step! ;-)
                        Reboot you should be fine. Don't forget to start manually the Garmin Express program when you want to update maps (before you connect the device).

Titou.

Comment

You don't need "C"rap Cleaner to disable startup program. System tool for this action is:
                          Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Configuration -> uncheck box in Startup Tab

To disable Garmin service use:
                          Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Garmin Core Update Service -> Stop and set Startup type: Disabled

Express will restore both settings whenever you start it.
                          popej
                          Dakota 20, 60CSx, nuvi 200, 1440t, 2340t, 3460t, 3540T, PL Topo, OSM, CN EU

Comment

Garmin it is past time to fix this.

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
                            I've never seen the pop ups, so can only suggest you look closer to home, ie an issue with your PC
                            As the error specifically refers to Garmin Express, it doesn't matter whether it is caused by something on our PCs, such as recent Windows Updates, or not. The error occurs in one of the Garmin Express components, and Garmin should be at least telling us what the problem is, and that have informed the organisation that caused it. At best they should be fixing the problem.

Instead they have not responded here, or to my support email sent on October 7th. That isn't very good form.
                            Microsoft Lumia 650, Firmware 01078.00042.16352.50003, Hardware Revision 3.0.5.0, Radio software 10c56.00030.0001, Chip SoC 8909
                            Windows 10 Mobile, Version 1703, OS Build 10.0.15063.483
                            Vivoactive HR, SW Version 3.90, GPS Ver 3.00, Display Ver 2.30, TSC Ver 2.20, BLE/ANT 2.40, Sensor Ver 2.80, WHR Vers 10.02.74, Connect IQ 2.3.1
                            Windows 10 Pro PC, Garmin Express 5.5.0.0

Note: Lumia 650 not on the supported list, but exceeds capabilities of phones on the list. Bluetooth 4.1 LE.

Comment

Having same problem since latest Garmin update

I have been getting the same popup "A tool to aid in developing services for Windows NT." It refers to a Garmin location in my hard drive. I am running Windows 7 Home edition.

Does Garmin monitor this board and can they supply a solution for this problem. The popup will come up again after being accepted, at least once and sometimes twice, after each restart.

Is there an alternate way to contact Garmin about this problem, if they do not reply here?

Comment

Working...
                              X