No announcement yet.

BaseCamp 4.0.2 - Lost Access To MapSource Maps

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BaseCamp 4.0.2 - Lost Access To MapSource Maps

I have just updated from BaseCamp 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 and lost all access to my original MapSource maps. The maps worked correctly up to and including v4.0.1 od BaseCamp. All I can see now is the Global Map.

In the Map Product Manager Unlock Regions tab both City Navigator 4 and 5 are listed as "Map Product Not Installed" even though they are installed on the machine.

Selecting the Add button and entering the unlock code makes no difference. These map products were previously unlocked and worked perfectly OK in both MapSource and BaseCamp. Now the maps are not even accessible through the original MapSource software either!!!!!! What are you playing at Garmin??? Another broken application.

What is the JaVaWa GMTK program telling you? Are the maps still there or does it show errors?

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
    Kind regards,

Marco
    GPS Expert

JaVaWa Device Manager inventer, co-designer and sponsor. JaVaWa GMTK co-designer and sponsor.

Comment

I had this problem and tried to warn others in the BC thread. Thankfully I have the maps on 2 PCs, so was able to use GMTK to get them back onto the one I'd updated BC on. Can't help with the OPs problem though, and no, not even GMTK could find them
      Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
      Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
      (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by MARCOPIETERSMA View Post
        What is the JaVaWa GMTK program telling you? Are the maps still there or does it show errors?

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
        Thanks. I bit of a mixed result. This is on a Windows XP SP3 machine by the way.

Before seeing your reply I decided to try installing the MapSource components again (I had managed to find the original installation disks). MapSource European City Navigator v4 gave me the option to Repair the installation which I tried. This resulted in European CityNavigator Maps v4 becoming readable in BaseCamp (Hoorah). The original MapSource appplication also recognised the maps as well.

I tried the same with MapSource V5 but the software keeps failing when searching for Disk 1 (even though Disk 1 is the installation Disk), so I need to look at that issue as well as it has previously installed OK.

Download JaVaWa and installed it and it also reports that European City Navigator v4.0 is active and does not show any errors. However it doesn not list European City Navigator v5 even though the application and software is still in place.

Looking at the registry there is no reference to v5 entries so it looks like the upgrade to BaseCamp 4.0.2 shafts the Registry entries of previous versions of MapSource.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMAUBRIT View Post
          Looking at the registry there is no reference to v5 entries so it looks like the upgrade to BaseCamp 4.0.2 shafts the Registry entries of previous versions of MapSource.
          Hmmm, that didn't happen to me on either my WinXP SP3 or Win7-x64 boxes.
          nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.40) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

Fortunately I have a laptop with the same MapSource software installed. I have checked the registry on that machine and it has entries for both MapSource V4 and V5 whereas the machine with updated BaseCamp 4.0.2 only has the V4 registry entries, so something clearly gets changed during the BaseCamp upgrade.

I am currently running the JaVaWa GMTK tool as recomended by MARCOPIETERSMA to extract a backup of the V5 maps off the good machine to try a restore on the defunct machine.

Comment

Well as I said in another thread I backup my map registry entries in .reg files. That is the equivalent of what JaVaWa GMTK does.

I too have my maps on multiple (3) machines.
              nuvi 1490T (6.30) + 32GB microSDHC card & ecoRoute HD, Oregon 600 (5.40) + 32GB microSDHC card & tempe, GPSmap 76CSx (4.00) + 32GB microSDHC card, GPS V (2.60), GPS 12XL (2.02)

This is a user-to-user forum. I am not, and never have been, a Garmin employee. My opinions are my own.

Comment

The JaVaWa GMTK tool did the trick and MapSource 5 now has registry entries and shows up in BaseCamp 4.0.2

And so just to prove a point I did the following:

De-installed BaseCamp and rebooted.
                Installed BaseCamp 4.0.1 and ensured that the MapSource registry entries were all present and correct.
                Upgraded to 4.0.2 and guess what? No MapSource registry entries for either V4 or V5, so the upgrade to 4.0.2 removes the MapSource Registry entries. Thanks Garmin!

Fortunately with the JaVaWa GMTK tool I can now put things back safely and quickly.

Thanks MARCOPIETERSMA, I'll stand you a few beers the next time I'm in Rotterdam (or even Amsterdam)!
                Last edited by JAMAUBRIT; 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by JAMAUBRIT View Post
                  Upgraded to 4.0.2...
                  Did you do that by updating from within 4.0.1 or downloading/running 4.0.2 directly? Just curious.

Comment

I let the auto-update process run from within 4.0.1

Comment

That may be the issue. SUSSAMB reported, in another thread, that one machine updated that way lost it's registry based maps but another updated via the 4.0.2 download did not.
                      Last edited by STUARTMW; 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Well, I can confirm that allowing BaseCamp to auto-update itself doesn't do you any favours!

For the time being I have disabled BaseCamp auto-updating, I'll read the postings in this forum before I next update!

Comment

This sounds like a BaseCamp installer issue to me (and not BaseCamp itself) . Not sure why that'd be checking/changing map registry entries in the first place.

Either way we know the problem and solution That's 95% of the way towards a fix.

Comment

You're right, it must be the Installer as BaseCamp is quite happy once the registry entries are all present and correct.

Backing up the MapSource registry keys is probably a good place to start but for users who allow the BC update process to commence automatically its probably too late by then

Comment

I apologize for all the trouble. That does indeed sound like an installer issue to me. We will investigate.
                              Garmin Product Support (for questions regarding device issues, and map update questions)

Comment

Working...
                              X