No announcement yet.

Checking In

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking In

I spent lots of time on here a few years ago when Basecamp became mandatory and I needed a new device with current European maps. I got what I needed and went away. Since then the "smartphone" revolution with built-in routing has become nearly universal. My questions are: 1) I've heard rumours that Basecamp is being discontinued/unsupported. True?, 2) What current devices support the notion of uploading and downloading data to/from the device from a computer? 3) Where will I need to go in the future to find software that reads all my files?
    Steve W.
    Forest Lakes, AZ

II+, V, Quest, 2455LT, 1490LMT

1) As far as I know that's correct
    2) All current devices do so
    3) MapSource still works even though it hasn't been updated or supported for years, there's nothing to indicate BaseCamp won't continue to do so.
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Well, I'm back again with a similar question to one of the ones I asked a year or so ago when I opened this thread: What current devices work well with BC (apparently all do -- that wasn't my understanding a few years ago) and which ones work more like my trusty 1490 and less like my 2455 (which wants me to go directly through a waypoint before it will show the way to the next one, as opposed to showing the whole route and not going ballistic if I miss an intermediate waypoint). I was prepared to use these two devices forever (the 2455 has my European mapset), but the 1490 seems to have an issue with its USB connector and has become almost unusable -- I doubt seriously that it can be repaired at this point. Anyway, is there something currently available that acts like a 1490? I'll plow through the current items on offer at the Garmin website, but it used to be quite difficult to determine which of them played nicely with a PC.

Thanks.
      Steve W.
      Forest Lakes, AZ

Comment

All the current ones do. Your 2455 had the original version of trip planner, the newer version introduced in 2013 works far more like the older route planner you have on your 1490. You see the whole route and can set shaping points which don't have to be directly visited.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Thanks much. Since I posted earlier today I see that there are only a handful of automotive devices similar to the ones I have, and the 61 LM appears to meet my needs. Looks to me like the "Drive Smart" and "Drive Assist" models don't add anything to the actual mapping and routing capability, which is all I'm looking for. The dozens of models that were available 5-8 years ago seem to have been pruned significantly. Anyway, I appreciate your prompt response and would welcome any comments on my choice from yourself or anyone else who reads this.
          Steve W.
          Forest Lakes, AZ

Comment

I'm sure that'll work for you but note that if you want traffic you need a model ending in T-S, which indicates you get traffic via your smartphone, or T-D, where traffic is digital and over air.

Comment

Well, I now have a 61 LM and, sure enough, it does everything my older devices do but with a larger screen and a somewhat different display format. It took me a half-hour or so yesterday to sort through the various menus to get things set up the way I want them. All is well, except for one thing -- the recorded track doesn't show on the active screen as a dotted line. It's available when I go to the dedicated "where I've been" screen and uploads properly to my laptop, but I miss the ability to see where I've been on the active screen -- I find knowing where I've been is quite helpful, particularly when I've screwed up. I realize these forums generally aren't hardware-oriented, but perhaps someone can tell me if there's a way to turn this feature on or if I just need to suck it up and "embrace change."
              Steve W.
              Forest Lakes, AZ

Comment

Working...
              X