No announcement yet.

Viewing TOPO US 24K Maps in BaseCamp

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing TOPO US 24K Maps in BaseCamp

How do I transfer my TOPO US 24K maps to BC?

Here is what I want to do. I have TOPO US 24K maps for Northeast, Southeast and Northcentral on my Montana 600. I can view these maps in BC when my gps is plugged into my laptop. If I unplug the gps the map data goes away.

Is there a way to copy these maps into BC for permanent access without the gps being plugged in??

Copy them to a physical or virtual removable drive, BaseCamp will read the maps from that
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Thanks, Which files other than the img files need to be copied?

Comment

None, just the main .img map files, but they must be placed in a folder named Garmin.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

I built a virtual drive and copied the files but still cannot see them in BC. Should the VD be NTFS or FAT32? What could I be doing wrong?

Comment

Probably you haven't installed it as a removable virtual drive ...

Comment

Thanks, I got it to work after using imdisk to make the removable VHD

Comment

I use GMap Tool to create mapsource or basecamp maps from mapsupp.img or mapprom.img files. It will create install.bat and uninstall.bat files for direct install on C: drive. The address search will not work on road maps,but for topo maps is the way to go. Just copy the .img file from GPS and run it in the free GMap Tool program.

Comment

Working...
                X