No announcement yet.

Is there a way to stop 4.7.0 upgrade popup message in BaseCamp 4.6.2

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to stop 4.7.0 upgrade popup message in BaseCamp 4.6.2

The nag message to upgrade 4.7.0 has popped up on several occasions on my desktop and laptop computer and I would like to find a way to kill this message. One concern being I may inadvertently finger check and upgrade to 4.7.0 which would kill off the Google Earth Pro linkage which to me is unacceptable.

There's no "check for upgrade" option I can see in 4.6.2 and I've looked in the task scheduler and also the registry in my Windows 7 Pro OS and the triggering of the pop up is not there.. so must be in the BaseCamp 4.6.2 code itself. Guess if I could find the IP address it's checking could kill that with a local hosts entry..

Anybody got other ideas how to do this?
    Last edited by dandemandan; 06-30-2018, 05:48 AM.
    Longtime Blue Highway Traveler, Garmin III+, 2610, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, MapSource, now BaseCamp for travel plans, Garmin Express, on Windows 7 Pro 64bit Dandeman's Travel Page

Install Wireshark on your computer and filter for DNS, then start BaseCamp.
    Extract the dns names from Wireshark and add these domain names to your local hosts file with the ip address 0.0.0.0

I found:
    BaseCamp 4.6.2:
    maptech.garmin.com
    www.garmin.cdn.garmingtm.com
    www.garmincom.edgekey.net (probably skip this one, is used in express also).
    e16353.dsca.akamaiedge.net

Express:
    omt.garmin.com
    wildcard.garmincom.edgekey.net
    static.garmincdn.com
    static.cdn.garmingtm.com
    connectapi.garmin.com
    securemanifest.garmin.com
    geolocation.garmin.com
    e3664.a.akamaiedge.net

Add them on separate lines in your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension and better start notepad as administrator:
    On linux or Mac in de /etc/hosts file.

0.0.0.0 maptech.garmin.com
    0.0.0.0 www.garmin.cdn.garmingtm.com
    0.0.0.0 e16353.dsca.akamaiedge.net

Don't blame me if you get problems with express or connect. But remember for the future you have added these (if you do).
    Kind regards,

Marco
    GPS Expert

JaVaWa Device Manager inventer, co-designer and sponsor. JaVaWa GMTK co-designer and sponsor.

Comment

thanks! hosts file updated, testing...

Learned long time ago to documnent changes anywhere in the OS .
      Longtime Blue Highway Traveler, Garmin III+, 2610, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, MapSource, now BaseCamp for travel plans, Garmin Express, on Windows 7 Pro 64bit Dandeman's Travel Page

Comment

Have been bringing up BaseCamp daily to see if 4.7.0 nag messages stopped... none seen with the following entries in the local hosts file.

# Stop Basecamp 4.6.2 nag message to update to 4.7.0
        0.0.0.0 maptech.garmin.com
        0.0.0.0 www.garmin.cdn.garmingtm.com
        0.0.0.0 e16353.dsca.akamaiedge.net

Comment

This didn't work for me.
          Windows 10.0.17134 Build 17134
          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-10-2018, 01:19 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Neither for me. (Win 7 Pro)
            I guess this hack prevents downloading the new version, but it doesn't prevent Basecamp to inform the user of installing an already downloaded program waiting to be installed.
            So, how can we remove the lurking file?

Comment

F.A.O. Admin.

I was unable to subscribe to this topic, seeing:-

"Invalid user permissions for page requested"

Other topics were OK.

I attempted to add a posting but that was also rejected.

I had to log out and back in again. Then both worked.

Comment

I'm also getting the update nags when Basecamp is started. I've found that the folder "%TEMP%\Garmin Software Updates" contains the update files basecamp.exe and basecamp.udr. If I delete that folder, then the next time I start Basecamp, I don't get the update nag, but the "%TEMP%\Garmin Software Updates" folder is immediately recreated and repopulated with the same two files, and the next time I start Basecamp I get the update nag again. I haven't managed to find from where the update files are being copied to this folder under temp, as it happens much more quickly than would be possible if the files were being downloaded again, but I can't find those files anywhere under either ProgramData or my Users\<username> folder.

Comment

AuldNik - read your post and took a look at my WIN 10 installation and found the same as you. I tried this, and so far it is working for me - Set the permissions for the folder that contains those files - "Garmin Software Updates" to deny for all users on the system but one (not related to the Basecamp install). So far, all is good. Even in the Help Menu of Basecamp the option for install update is gone. I am watching closley, but it's been 2 days and typically I get the "nag" a couple times a day when I'm using Basecamp.

Comment

I don't find the nag a big deal, but I thought that I would try AuldNik's solution anyway. It worked only until I restarted my PC. I am running windows 7. I set the permissions for "garmin software updates" to "deny" for all users but me. So, I denied access to administrator and to system. The solution did not prevent the nag.

I wrote to Garmin to ask if there was a way to turn this off, and they replied that this was done to comply with new rules and that they could not provide a way to turn it off.

Comment

gwilki - add a new user and deny yoursdelf- you are a basemap user, therefore basecamp is getting access to the files. My setup is WIN10 though. Still no nag and still no option in the help menu to update.

Comment

Thanks Phil, update messages are completely gone now for two weeks already.

Comment

Or just do this
                          https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-...camp-aa/64748-

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
                            Except that Garmin have changed the keyname. You now need to set HavePromptedForUpdate to zero.

Comment

Working...
                            X