Garmin USB Drivers and Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin USB Drivers and Windows 7

Folks, just want to post a heads up. Windows 7 has built in drivers for recognizing Garmin Devices. DO NOT INSTALL THE OLD USB DRIVERS COMPATIBLE IN PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS. These older drivers will crash win 7, and will cause the 'blue screen of death'. Note, if you download the MB agent or a newer version of TC, this most likely will download the old driver in the background, and create driver conflicts. After doing a software update from Garmin, I highly suggest to check your programs in control panel and remove any Garmin drivers you see there. This will prevent mega problems on your pc.

Maybe for you. But for me it worked ok and still works ok.

Originally posted by PICCIRILLI View Post
    Folks, just want to post a heads up. Windows 7 has built in drivers for recognizing Garmin Devices. DO NOT INSTALL THE OLD USB DRIVERS COMPATIBLE IN PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS. These older drivers will crash win 7, and will cause the 'blue screen of death'. Note, if you download the MB agent or a newer version of TC, this most likely will download the old driver in the background, and create driver conflicts. After doing a software update from Garmin, I highly suggest to check your programs in control panel and remove any Garmin drivers you see there. This will prevent mega problems on your pc.

Comment

Thanks to the original poster. My system was occasionally crashing but stopped after removing the Garmin USB drivers from "My Programs". Much appreciated.

Comment

Any feedback with Win Seven 64 bit and Garmin driver?

I'll switch to 64bit this week

Comment

Blue Screen Hang Without Old USB Driver?

I use a Forerunner 305. On a fresh/clean Win7 install, one of the first updates Windows queued up was an update called: "Garmin - Bus Controllers and Ports - Garmin USB GPS." Here are the details of the install in my update history --
          Installation date: ‎10/‎23/‎2009 2:45 PM
          Installation status: Successful
          Update type: Recommended
          Garmin Bus Controllers and Ports software update released in June, 2009
          More information:
          http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20290489
          Help and Support:
          http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

I didn't install ANY other Garmin software or Garmin drivers. (Though I did install SportTracks 2.1, which, I think (?) does not use the Garmin USB drivers...) The windows update, I assume, placed a directory called \Garmin\USB_Drivers on my OS drive that contains a driver. I don't know how to reinstall the update or determine whether it's the correct version. Does anyone know if there are version numbers of the correct driver available?

The actual driver file my system appears to be using is \Windows\system32\grmnusb.sys -- its version number is 2.3.0.0.

SportTracks has a Garmin DLL in its install directory, but nothing that looks like a .sys driver for Garmin.

I appreciate any help you all might be able to offer. Primarily, I'm interested in verifying version numbers and reinstalling the supposedly-good MS driver.

Thanks very much.

Comment

BSOD garminusb.sys Windows 7 v. 2.3.0.0

I have the same problem. Windows 7, blue screen of death, garminusb.sys; driver intalled from windows update, version 2.3.0.0 from 6.3.2009.

Same update history as posted above. Anybody has a solution for that?

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I soved the BSOD issue by changing the USB port (this is so stupid), but now I loose connectivity after hibernating. I have to restart to get it back running again.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDRE77AB View Post
                Any feedback with Win Seven 64 bit and Garmin driver?

I'll switch to 64bit this week

I am running windows 7 64bit pro.

Garmin ant agent and garmin communicator plugin installed perfectly and I've had no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PICCIRILLI View Post
                  I had installed old drivers today because my Parallel5 / Win 7 X64 / Mac Snow Leopard machine stopped seeing my Oregon - but nothing I did worked anyway, though I didn't get any BSD crashes.

I removed all occurences of the Garmin USB drivers through the Control Panel and plugged the USB cable into a different spot on the cpmputer and all is well now.

Don't know why I forgot that old Windows trick to force WIndows/USB into finding the device again...

But thanks for the warning!

Garmin could be a little more explicit in warning people not to install drivers in Win7, I think. I searched the support site high and low and found nothing but old drivers so I used those...
                  Not a Garmin employee. Never have been. But I have a Montana, a Monterra, an Etrex Touch35, a Nuvi 2597, two Virb Elites, and too many other older Garmin devices to mention.

Comment

I've got two computers :
                    1) Sony VAIO with Win 7 32 bits
                    2) Asus MB based with Win 7 64 bits

On both, I installed TC.
                    1) Everything's fine
                    2) Worked one time, then I often have to deal with BSOD

I will try all the stuff you describe an post the result of my experimentations.

Comment

Garmin 305

My Windows 7 Pro 64 bit still get BSOD on occasions upon plug in the Garmin 305 to USB port.
                      Is there a way to contact Garmin software writers to have then write new drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by FREDJM31 View Post
                        I've got two computers :
                        1) Sony VAIO with Win 7 32 bits
                        2) Asus MB based with Win 7 64 bits

On both, I installed TC.
                        1) Everything's fine
                        2) Worked one time, then I often have to deal with BSOD

I will try all the stuff you describe an post the result of my experimentations.
                        On my Win7 64 bits computer,
                        I removed any Garmin stuff :
                        - Training Center
                        - Garmin drivers (I asked Windows to remove the drivers)
                        I configured Windows Update in manual install mode (so I can check what is installed)
                        I re-installed Garmin Training center

It is OK sometimes, but I often have a blue screen when connecting my ForeRunner 305.

I did not notice that Windows Update installed any Garmin drivers.
                        As STVBUI says, how can we ask Garmin to look into the problem ?
                        I can send the following files :
                        - 010810-28407-01.dmp
                        - WER-33103-0.sysdata.xml
                        - MEMORY.DMP (by FTP)

I hope a moderator will read this post and help us. I will also try to contact the US support (the french support asked me to deal this by phone at hours I can't phone : I'm working).

Comment

Contacted the french support, told me that a new version should be realeased soon ...

Comment

A workaround :
                            - turn off the computer
                            - plug in the Gps Device
                            - turn on the computer

Seems to work everytime for me.

Not very convenient ...

Comment

call garmin support

I had the same problem, I have a new computer,core i7 920 with windows 7 64 bit. I installed training center and everytime I connected my edge 305 I would get the blue screen. So I uninstalled TC, and then my computer wouldn't recognize the device. I tried everything suggested here with no luck. I finally called Garmin this morning and a guy named Luke helped me. I gave him access to my computer and I watched him find the drivers which were always there, but not being found. He got my computer to find them and all is well.

I'd recommend calling support. I had to wait maybe 25 minutes, but it was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X