No announcement yet.

Nuvi 2597 not connecting to PC

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuvi 2597 not connecting to PC

I have a Surfacepro 2 64 bit PC running Windows 10, all fully updated. I have been having increasing trouble in getting my PC to recognise my nuvi. When I connect them in the recommended sequence, using the Garmin supplied lead directly to the USB socket on the PC, the nuvi switches to the computer mode but it doesn't appear in File Manager. I have tried rebooting the PC with the nuvi connected and various other sequences, all to no avail. I last succeeded in connecting and updating maps and software in September or December 2018. The software is v 5.50, if that helps. I have previously experimented with changing the file transfer protocol, but it didn't help in the past and now I can't find out how to do this. Can anyone help?
    Currently use Nuvi 2597. Previously used Nuvi 1490. Use Basecamp for planning routes in Europe

Have you tried a new cable? It may just be that that is the issue, but you could try first switching it to mass storage instead of mtp mode. To do so

1. Try this
    2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have tried another cable, but still no joy. Thanks for the guide to the menu for the transfer protocols - I couldn't remembrer how to get to it. I have now tried switching to Mass Storage, but it still doesn't work, so I have switched back to auto detect. Have you any other ideas. The nuvi recognises when it is connected to the PC. I don't have any trouble with any other device which connects via the USB socket.
      Currently use Nuvi 2597. Previously used Nuvi 1490. Use Basecamp for planning routes in Europe

Comment

Try the steps in this FAQ, which starts off talking about Express but scroll down https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Type=noProduct
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

I have tried all the steps in the link but it still won't connect. The nuvi recognises that it is connected to a computer, but the computer doesn't find the nuvi, either in file manager or in Garmin Express or in POI Loader.

Comment

I'm out of ideas then, try calling Product Support

Comment

Ok, and thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X