Sample Data from Virb Ultra 30

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample Data from Virb Ultra 30

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a Virb Ultra 30 for work but require the G-Metrix Distance to be in 1m increments.
    I know that the Virb Edit software will not allow this, but I was hoping someone might be able to post me a sample .FIT file with the distance data for me to test in a 3rd Party Overlay Program.

Regards.
    Ross.

Hello Ross,

All GPS data recording is limited to one data point per second period.
    1m/sec = 3.6km/h = 2.2mph
    As moving speeds rise above these minimums the distance between data points increases.
    10m/sec = 36km/h = 22mph
    Any/All FIT files you get will have data points more than 1 meter apart unless the device is moving at a slow walk.
    Don Huston
    San Diego, CA.
    United States

Comment

Originally posted by DATEZZ View Post
      Hello Ross,

As moving speeds rise above these minimums the distance between data points increases.
      10m/sec = 36km/h = 22mph
      Any/All FIT files you get will have data points more than 1 meter apart unless the device is moving at a slow walk.

Hi DATEZZ

Why is the GPS data recording limited to 1Hz when on the VIRB Ultra 30 specs its says 10Hz?

Is this just BS marketing?

Comment

Originally posted by DATEZZ View Post
        Hello Ross,

10m/sec = 36km/h = 22mph

Hi DATEZZ

Why is the GPS data recording limited to 1Hz when on the VIRB Ultra 30 specs its says 10Hz?

Is this just BS marketing?

Ross I cant post the .Fit here because of size.

Send me a pm and we can find a way to send.

Comment

Ross, Sent.

Let me know how it ... FITs

What about the VIRB Ultra 30 specs that says 10Hz GPS?

Comment

10hz GPS but only records at 1hz to .Fit file

Even with the new firmware(4.3) from April 2017 the GPS is still only recording (One time per second) 1hz to the (.Fit) g-metrix file.
            Whats the point having a 10hz GPS receiver if Virb Ultra 30 can only record 1hz
            I'm starting to wonder if it even has a 10hz receiver ?

Comment

Can anyone from garmin reply to this ?

Why is the GPS 10Hz but only records at 1Hz?

Comment

I tried their online support and they confirmed it only records at 1 but couldn't explain why...
                I used the chat in their webpage, I'll try also by email...

Comment

GPS data is transmitted from satellites at 1 data point per second. Even my $10,000 survey grade gps unit only records data at 1 per second. The fact that we get 1 per second is pretty amazing when you consider that between 9 to 16 satellites are processing data all at the same time to give the receiving gps unit its position. 1 data point per second (for us civilians) is all we can get.
                  Don Huston
                  San Diego, CA.
                  United States

Comment

Hi Datezz, are you affiliated with Garmin?

If so, and given the information that we get one data-point per second, I guess you would then agree that the specs of the VIRB Ultra 30 as disclosed by Garmin are simply false advertising?

I must also say that I do not understand your comment about 1 Hz being all you can get.
                    From a quick google (might be crap, but first result just to illustrate)
                    https://www.amazon.com/Qstarz-BT-Q81.../dp/B003YCZINA

And also this
                    https://did-it-myself.com/diy-10hz-b...-gps-receiver/

And this which, some of you who are smarter than me might even be able to adapt for us?
                    https://did-it-myself.com/setting-bl...eiver-to-10hz/

Comment

Hello Speedster,
                      No, I do not work for Garmin but I have been using their devices since 1999.
                      Those links were interesting and those homemade devices were really cool but I noticed that there was no mention by the developers that they were actually getting and recording 10 different data points per second. Different being the key word. I have seen recorded data with 3-10 data points per second but they would all be the same data point until the next whole second came around. It could be that the US has limited civilian use of the satellites to 1HZ but I am just guessing.
                      Don Huston
                      San Diego, CA.
                      United States

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to gravedig this thread, but The Ultra 30 and VIRB 360 do record 10Hz GPS data into the FIT file. However, it is in a new message type called 'gps_metadata' since the old 'record' message are only set up for 1Hz updates. So they record GPS at 1Hz to the 'record' message and 10Hz to the 'gps_metadata' message, so that it is backward compatible with existing tools and also compatible with VIRB Edit/Mobile.

The issue here is that the existing third-party tools (and even some Garmin tools like Basecamp) haven't been updated to use the new message type. If you want to get 10Hz data into your tools, I recommend talking to the developers of your tools and ask for support for the gps_metadata message type.

Comment

I am not an expert at all with GPS or cameras, but a mapper for OSM, I brought a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 to be used mainly to feed Mapillary and OpenStreetCam applications, but I do have the problem that it seems to have all the time lapse pictures in the exact same position, I live in Bolivia and this issue is very frustrating. Any advise?

Comment

Working...
                          X