This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapInstall FAQ

What does MapInstall do?

MapInstall allows you to install maps to your Garmin GPS device. You can use MapInstall to add additional maps to a device that came with maps on it, or you can install maps to a device that never had maps to begin with.

How is MapInstall different from MapManager?

MapManager helps install maps on your Mac. MapInstall installs maps to your Garmin GPS device.

Where can I download MapInstall?

Here

When I select map regions they are highlighted in red, what does that mean?

Regions highlighted in red are locked. Go to the Unlock menu to enter an unlock code or unlock your maps online.

I've deselected all of the map regions but the gauge still shows that space is being used, what do I do?

Try pressing Cmd-D to clear all regions. You may have a region selected in a different map or offscreen.

I have maps on my PC, can I use them on my Mac with MapInstall?

Yes, please read http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3897.
    Last edited by azbithead; 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM.

PDF is not available?!

Comment

Can these softwares be used to install third party Garmin compatible maps also? I mean installing them into Basecamp.

Comment

No. MapInstall takes maps already on your PC and installs them to Garmin devices. Third party maps that can be installed may come with an installer package, which particular map or maps are you interested in?
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
          No. MapInstall takes maps already on your PC and installs them to Garmin devices. Third party maps that can be installed may come with an installer package, which particular map or maps are you interested in?
          Sorry if I was not clear. I referred to MapManager.

MapManager helps install maps on your Mac
          The above quote triggered my query. I have valid licensed third party map (IMG and unlock code). Can that be directly used to install on Basecamp on MAC?
          Last edited by galoi; 11-26-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Sorry but I know nothing about MapManager ... although the current details and download are here http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3825
            Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
            Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
            (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Sorry if its not the right thread. I had gone to the download page. There I noticed both these softwares were bundled under the same package. Hence thought this would be the right thread to ask my question. Also as a member posted earlier, since there is no user manual attached, I wanted to check.

Will try this tonight and will update.

Comment

I tried the above. It does not work.

My Aim: I have third party Garmin maps for 2455. I want to install them in Basecamp in MAC and also install the same on the device internal memory and NOT on the SD card.

Question:

Where in the device should the img and the unl be copied? I dont want to operate from the SD Card.
                - I copied both the files into ".System" folder. Still get the "cannot unlock maps" error
                - I copied them into "Garmin" folder. Still no luck. Can you please help?

Meanwhile another curious observation:
                When I copy the map to either the .system folder or the Garmin folder of the device and I connect to MAC and then turn on Basecasmp, I am able to browse the maps.
                Then how come we need different approach to install it?

I was also going through this post:
                https://forums.garmin.com/archive/in...p/t-13862.html

How is mapinstall different from just copying the img and unl to the correct location in the internal memory?

In case this is not the right thread to post, please move it to the relevant thread.
                Last edited by galoi; 11-26-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X