WARNING: nuvi 1490 & not enough space for latest map update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING: nuvi 1490 & not enough space for latest map update

I just bought a nuvi 1490T, and when I tried to update the maps (US) with the free map update, it failed. After spending a lot of time with support, it turned out the nuvi didn't have enough available space to install the update. The tech had me delete some language files, and then it installed OK.

I'm posting this just to document it, and hopefully help keep someone else from the trouble I had.

Dan

PS: I'm going to cross-post this in both forums, because it's relevant to both Windows and Mac users. Please don't shoot me for cross-posting!

I've had the same issue and figures out myself you need to delete some localized content to be able to install the updates.
    The price of flash memory droppped significantly in the past few years. I find it sad that they ship these units with a far too limited available space :-\

Corentin

Comment

Originally posted by DAGWARE View Post
      I just bought a nuvi 1490T, and when I tried to update the maps (US) with the free map update, it failed. After spending a lot of time with support, it turned out the nuvi didn't have enough available space to install the update. The tech had me delete some language files, and then it installed OK.

I'm posting this just to document it, and hopefully help keep someone else from the trouble I had.

Dan

PS: I'm going to cross-post this in both forums, because it's relevant to both Windows and Mac users. Please don't shoot me for cross-posting!
      Hello,

Ok I had this problem and delete some languages. I bought a 16GB card that lives in the sat nav now.

Can somebody please tell me how I can make my sat nav use this space. I have tried moving everything onto it but on restart the sat nav makes a new folder "Garmin" and "GPX" (on the sat nav hard drive.)

How can i utilize the now 16GB space to make the sat nav run from this?

Comment

Hi APHMITCHELL,

This should work for you

Mac OSX
        Insert the SD card into your nuvi
        Connect the nuvi to your Mac
        Open Finder
        Click Applications
        Double-click Garmin MapInstall
        Click Continue
        Click Find Device
        Click on the Drop Down Arrow
        Select the blank microSD/SD card
        Click Continue
        Highlight the maps you do not yet have on the nuvi
        Click Send Maps
        Follow the onscreen instructions.
        The maps will now be sent to the microSD/SD card.
        Done.

Comment

Originally posted by D.CHIN View Post
          Hi APHMITCHELL,

This should work for you

Mac OSX
          Insert the SD card into your nuvi
          Connect the nuvi to your Mac
          Open Finder
          Click Applications
          Double-click Garmin MapInstall
          Click Continue
          Click Find Device
          Click on the Drop Down Arrow
          Select the blank microSD/SD card
          Click Continue
          Highlight the maps you do not yet have on the nuvi
          Click Send Maps
          Follow the onscreen instructions.
          The maps will now be sent to the microSD/SD card.
          Done.
          Thanks for the input I'll give that a go

Comment

can a map be installed on a sd card that already has a map on it

I have a Nuvi 1490T.

I have a North America preloaded on the device.

I have an Australia map loaded on a 8GB card.

When I try to download a map I just bought from Garmin to my SD card it says that a file with that name already exists, over write?

So can more than one map be loaded on a SD card or does it have to be blank?

Will MapInstall help? If so, how do you get the download to the computer so that MapInstall can transfer to the SD card?

Thanks.

Comment

Try downloading the maps to your computer only first. Then use mapinstall to select and install whatever maps you want on the SD card. When Mapinstall recognizes your unit there should be drop down box that lets you select the SD card instead of the unit.

Comment

Dan

Newbie here - can you tell me how I go about deleting voices, vehicles and other non-essential stuff so I can create enough room on my nuvi 1490T to update my maps. Thanks

Comment

Not enough space to loade maps on 1490

I have a 1490t which would not update due to space using the lifetime updater. It updated fine using the Garmin servers. I did clean up all of the non-english flotsam from the GPS as well as misc archives to make space but updating from Garmin's servers rather than using lifetime updater worked fine.

It was interesting that using the lifetime updater I was given the option to load a different zone yet none of the zones presented had enough space either. This fact led me to the fix.

It appears that the lifetime updater needs to see the total available space before it overwrites the maps that are already on the GPS. The on-line servers takes the overwrite size into account duing its calculation process. This may be something that Garmin should look at to make the lifetime updater useful. Just a suggestion

Comment

What is the process for deleting the non essential voice languages, please? I have a NUVI 1350. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by GLEWIS1943 View Post
                      What is the process for deleting the non essential voice languages, please? I have a NUVI 1350. Thank you.
                      I have the 1490 and once you connect it to a PC it shows up as an extra hard drive and there is a folder called voices. I removed every language except for English by just deleting the language files and that worked for my device.

Comment

there is also a bunch of extra files in the help folder that could go!!

Comment

BTDT, no SD card maps showing on 1490LMT.

Loaded 2012.40 and some old converted Topo 3.0 maps, about 3.5 GB worth. GPS still says only 2012.20 is installed but does recognize the Topo maps (which I had previously installed with 2012.20).

BTW, Garmin sure could rethink the Mac Garmin Mapinstall app. Two hours on a 2.6 GHz Mac Pro for a mere couple of GB of map data? One CPU is pegged at 100% the whole time but only about 100 kB/sec of data being read from HD. OTOH Base Camp is very multi-CPU aware as it pegs all 4 at 100% for many seconds when the app launches.

Comment

Win 7 platform connected to 1390 : I also deleted some voices and update was able to proceed. ( did save the other voices and may copy them back). I also had to pull down most recent version of updater - the older version went merrily along indicating it was updating, but doing nothing. Thanks for the prior posts - helped me.
                            Last edited by LWILKINSON; 03-28-2012, 04:23 AM. Reason: incomplete initial post

Comment

sd chip

Dan

Just get a micro sd card. Garmin supports up to 8 gig. I got an 8 gig sdhc micro card and it worked perfectly. Just put the card in your nuvi and download whatever maps you want. Simple

Comment

Working...
                              X