Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragging a start to finish route

On inspection after creating a start to finish route is it possible to modify only small sections of it without the whole route recalculating. When a route is made with simply a start and end point, and then one tries to drag it, with Alt+click, the elastic band snaps in between start and end and the whole route recalculates. Is it not possible to insert a shaping or waypoint before and after a small section and then drag only that section to a new route. At the moment as soon as a new point is inserted between start and end, in the route box, the whole route recalculates and then it is necessary to go over the whole route to ensure it is going the desired way. As often as not it isn't and it is necessary to go to somewhere soon after the start and begin dragging bit by bit. Tedious

Perhaps but that's the way most folks like it to work. You could create viapoints either side of a particular part you want to alter I suppose so then only the part between the viapoints would change.
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

That does not work. As soon as you introduce another point on the route, the whole thing recalculates. To expand a little, I like curvy/v curvy routes so use kurviger.de to suggest them avoiding unpaved roads. Then export them to Basecamp to check before transferring to BMW NAV V. Sometimes it is not clear if BC has followed the avoidances because the maroon route line is covering the nature of the road. The easiest way to check is to open the BC route in one window and OSM, on which kurviger.de is based, in another side by side. Then you can quickly scroll over the route in both and OSM will confirm that the route is paved.
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 10-12-2018, 02:48 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Well it does so maybe you misunderstood what I meant. Create a waypoint either side of the part you want to alter. Add those waypoints to the existing route, that shouldn't change anything if they are on your original route. Now between those two points you can rubber band as much as you want, the route before the first point and after the second won't change.
        Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
        (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Try setting calculation to Shortest method, not Fastest.

Comment

My mistake. When I created two new waypoints on the existing route and added them to the route between start and end in the route box, the band immediately snapped between start and end. I thought it had recalculated the whole route, which it had done, but only to add these waypoints. It is now possible to drag between just those two and even add more waypoints between them on the intended deviation. Great simples. Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Great. Glad it's resolved. I'll close this thread.

Comment

Working...
              X