No announcement yet.

Map Question - New to Garmin & Basecamp

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Question - New to Garmin & Basecamp

I just got a zumo 595lm and I'm using Basecamp for the first time. First I installed Garmin Express and made sure the device and maps were all upgraded. Then I installed Basecamp and went back into Garmin Express to download the maps off of the device onto my computer.

When I go to Basecamp with the device NOT connected, the map looks very flat, but when I plug in the GPS the map changes and has some texture to it like a topographical map. Is this normal?

Also when the device is NOT connected, I've had trouble creating a route from 2 waypoints. After I enter the waypoints, the rout is just straight lines and recalculating doesn't change it to follow the roads. This works fine when the GPS is connected to the computer.

Thanks in advance from a newbie!

You would have been better posting to the Basecamp forum. But the answer to your first question is Yes, that is normal. On your second point, though BC will cache the map you can only use it when the device is plugged into the computer.

Comment

I'm confused by your statement you used Express to install the maps off your device to BaseCamp. If you meant you've installed a map to your Mac then there's no need to have your device connected. The map should appear in the map list in BaseCamp, just ensure its selected.
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM. Reason: Moved to correct forum
      Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
      Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
      (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Hi, From a multiple Garmin GPS user
        I think I have possibly 20 or more Garmin units over the years.
        I was rather proficient with Mapsource but (stupidly) refused to move to Basecamp. Now I am stuck.

I currently use a Zumo 595, Foretrex 401, Etrex30, GPSMap 76CSX, an InReach Explorer and now just got a GPSMap66s
        I believe I have paid my dues to Garmin

All I would like is to use FULLY featured City and Topo maps on my Mac and PC without having to connect my units every time.
        This does not seem to be an option anymore?

Comment

It is, and has been for years. Use Express to install Garmin maps that you're entitled to to your computers. For non Garmin maps what you need to do depends on the maps but you'll need to ask the map makers.

Incidentally if you already have maps in your computers that MapSource uses then BaseCamp will read the same maps.
          Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
          (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Thankyou.
            I do not see an option to do it in Express. Must I have the GPS connected "first time around"?
            Unfortunately my Mapsource and maps is history on an old drive

Comment

No, but you must have updated the maps on the device first otherwise you won't see the Install to PC option, or do it at the same time as you update your map.

Comment

Is it under the "purchased" tab?
                A downwards arrow in a cloud?

Comment

No, select the device in Express. Under Map Options you'll see three, install to device, computer or both. Or you'll see Reinstall map and Install to computer. Depends where in the update cycle you are.
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I do not have or see a Map option
                    All there is:
                    1. Utilities
                    2. Purchased
                    3. Privacy
                    4. Garmin Connect

Comment

What are you looking at? Express or something else? Can you post a screen shot?

Comment

Hello Sussam, I have the option to install map on the computer only with City Nav maps.... should I have this option also for other map like Garmin Cycle, Topo Active Europe....?
                        Last edited by MaGo77; 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM.
                        MaGo77,Edge 1030, Edge 820, Epix, Oregon 650, Fenix, Edge1000, EdgeTouring+, Edge800, Nuvi 1490T, Colorado 300.

Comment

I don't believe so but then I don't have those maps

Comment

Working...
                          X