Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin 64 show more data when hiking that Basecamp after...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin 64 show more data when hiking that Basecamp after...

For example I went on a 5 day 100 mile hike in Maine. My 64 while hiking shows : Elevation, Total distance, current speed, max speed, moving time, moving average, stopped time, and overall average speed. When I go to view the data on Basecamp later I see : Total distance, Area, total elapsed time, average speed, ascent descent, max elevation, min elevation. I realize there are customizable screens for the 64. The specific data I would like to be able to access in this case is the average moving speed. During the hike we varied quite a bit but the total moving average was around 1.9 MPH. I want to be able to look at that specific data now. The average speed reported in Basecamp is for the whole hike including non moving time ( I shut the 64 off at night too). The question is can Basecamp record more data types than I am seeing currently?

When you double click a track a new window opens with a Properties tab. Grab the right side of that window and drag it way right to see all the categories available. Then put the cursor on the gray category area, right click, reset headers to show any categories that were hidden. Those are the only data types available in BaseCamp.
    I'm using Win7 and the top Summary box for speed has Avg Moving Speed based on only the Moving Time. Stop Time is removed.
    You can select and highlight any portion of the data and the Summary Boxes will all update showing data for only the selected area. Also the track will be highlighted showing what you have selected.
    Don Huston
    San Diego, CA.
    United States

Comment

Thanks Don!

I am assuming Win7 is a Windows type product. I am on a Mac and my UI may be different (and/or may not understand the terminology). When I double click on a track I do get a window but don't see a properties tab as such. I have Summary and Notes available. In Summary no matter how wide I open the window I only have the data I mentioned in the first message. I wonder if I need to tell Basecamp to accept all data collected by my 64 or tell my 64 to report all data. hmmmmmmmm.

Comment

BaseCamp will only show data in the Summary boxes that your 64 has recorded.
        If you reset the headers by right clicking the gray category strip you will see all the data categories that are available but not necessarily used by your 64.
        You wrote " When I go to view the data on Basecamp later I see : Total distance, Area, total elapsed time, average speed, ascent descent, max elevation, min elevation." There should also be more data unless you are saving your tracks to your 64 using the 64 menu. See the attached JPG screenshot showing the categories you should have data for.
        Some of the older 64's truncated the data when using that save option. Can you attach a copy of your track and I will open it on my machine and see if the rest of your data is there.
        Don Huston
        San Diego, CA.
        United States

Comment

I think the mac and windows thing is making this hard. I don't know what saving the tracks to the 64 using the 64 menu means.
          Attached Files

Comment

The file is 1.9 MB and the forum says it's too big. ???

Comment

Hiking file that is

Comment

Your data looks like everything is being recorded and it is not truncated.
                ZIP that GPX file. That should make it small enough to attach. Or get a free DropBox account, load the file into DropBox and attach a copy of the link to your file.
                Last edited by datezz; 11-12-2017, 08:51 PM.
                Don Huston
                San Diego, CA.
                United States

Comment

Thanks for looking at this, I don't know if there are settings on either BC or my 64 that would keep all the data I see on my hike from being recorded.
                  Attached Files

Comment

When I try to unZIP your file I get an error saying that the file inside the MACOSX folder is invalid??
                    In BaseCamp click your 100mile track > File > Export > Export Selection > pick a folder and Save. It should be a GPX file.
                    Then find and zip that file and send it again.
                    Don Huston
                    San Diego, CA.
                    United States

Comment

Working...
                    X