No announcement yet.

Which models have autolap function

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which models have autolap function

I currently have a vivoactive and have become more interested in 100m splits to see where to improve. My first grievance is that, although a low end model, it still has GPS and a accelerometer like higher end models, which in my opinion makes it strictly a software issue of allowing the app to provide 100m swim splits. Apparently the 735xt, the 935xt and fenix 5 can provide 100m splis for the indoor swim?

Q1: On my vivoactive, I cant see why it can’t give me split data by 100m using an auto feature, because both in Garmin Connect and in the app, it allows you to consult your pace on a time graph, that seems to be precise to a disaggregated level?

So let us assume that it is a software issue, but that Garmin doesn’t allow this function because it wants to avoid a bad user experience with a slow processing watch.... then the next question is:

Q2: why doesn’t Garmin allow us to force the function despite slow processing speeds to our own risk?

Q3: If this is not possible, the question after that is which watches will allow me to obtain 100m splits using the indoor swimming activity? Because i want to upgrade soon!

PS I’m not talking anout intervals, which are the same concept but only activated each time you hit the lap/start/stop button. I’m talking about a similar feature in the settings of running called laps (i.e. allowing you to select custom or autolap...)

Comment

The 735xt, 935 and I believe the Fenix series have laps, but seemingly only in Open Water mode using GPS. Obviously that is no good for indoors, and not particularly accurate in outdoor pools. It works well in open water. But yes, there is no reason it can't exist in pool mode using the lap counting.

Comment

I can't understand what actually you want - to have pop-up on every 100m showing pace?

I have Garmin Swim and Fenix 3 and no one has such a functionality in pool mode.

1) Auto lap is useful when you do not know distance. For instance when running in the park or swim in open water. When you are in the pool you know the distance - you can simply see the time.
        2) In the pool if you do not stop (in case of stop you can use intervals) you have tenths of the second to look at your watch in case of breaststroke, for other styles you can't take a look at all.
        3) You have last length pace field

Comment

Originally posted by Manev View Post
          I can't understand what actually you want - to have pop-up on every 100m showing pace?

I have Garmin Swim and Fenix 3 and no one has such a functionality in pool mode.

1) Auto lap is useful when you do not know distance. For instance when running in the park or swim in open water. When you are in the pool you know the distance - you can simply see the time.
          2) In the pool if you do not stop (in case of stop you can use intervals) you have tenths of the second to look at your watch in case of breaststroke, for other styles you can't take a look at all.
          3) You have last length pace field

Since this post i was mislead by some people from a facebook group that a higher end watch would have auto laps or auto intervals for the indoor swim activity. It was time for an updated watch anyways so I bought a 735xt and was disappointed that this was still not possible.

To answer your question, autolaps, even for running, is useful not to determine your distance, but to look at your metrics in intervals without stopping or pressing buttons. In swimming, this is key because consistency is important. Ex. You do a 3000m TT and your coach wants you to keep a pace that allows you to stay in zone 2-3 throughout. It would be interesting to look at your progression based on the intervals of your choosing and compare this against your perceived effort the first 1000m versus the last 1000m. In addition, if you are training for long distance endurance you do not want to have to stop every 100m to press the lap button to produce intervals, which is, according to my understanding, the only way to obtain interval metrics using the indoor swimming activity. In my opinion, for Some workouts you want to reproduce realistic conditions without rest. Also CSS training and stroke count adjustment, such as ramp tests, would benefit from this. Again, it is not about the laps but about the metrics that are summarized by intervals of your choosing.

But your point speaks precisely to the absurdity of why it is not possible with Garmin! Since Garmin Connect offers post activity metrics and actually allows to you overlap stroke, swolf, pace, with time on the x-axis, this implies that Garmin takes an average based on some aggregate as you go (hence by interval). Yet if you look at the Garmin Connect post activity charts, the data blocks appear to be arbitrarily aggregated. This concerns me Because I do not know how Garmin aggregates my metrics when I click on the chart!

Comment

I actually look at my watch (735xt) after pushing off the wall at certain distances (e.g., 500 yds) to see how I am doing. Of course it is off a couple of seconds since the actual time is at the wall, but I figure that in. The Garmin Swim had a feature where it automatically paused the display for a few seconds at each turn, but I have not seen that as an option here unfortunately. I have not used it but it does have a time and distance alert in the activity settings (I will try the distance one today), and it looks like you can add more than one. People have created GC pacer apps for running (based on GPS), so I imagine the same could be done for swimming for length counts (perhaps they already exist).

Comment

Ok, I tried out the distance alert function and it did not work in pool swimming mode (it does in open water). I had it set to 20 lengths. First time I thought it might be that I had do not disturb tired on, but it did not work when I turned it off. The only thing I can think of is that "lengths" is not a field on my screen (I use interval distance). Hard to imagine that is the issue but will try after inserting a lengths field on the screen.

Comment

Working...
              X