Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

laps in a very small pool

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • laps in a very small pool

    I just bought the forerunner 920xt tri bundle. I am an open water swimmer, but it is tourist season so I am doing laps at the pool in my development. It is a very odd size, I guess it was more important to build one more house than build a real pool. My best guess is that the pool length is 41 feet.. which is well under the minimum size I can set as a custom size in the forerunner.

    I am not really worried about the forerunner tracking my stroke metrics.. All I really want is a lap counter so I can keep track of the time per lap.. and have a total number of laps. I know the pool size.

    This is what I came up with.. I created an activity profile based on Open Water. I set Laps to manual. So every lap I just hit the back button and I get exactly what I want, it saves each lap.

    First.. is this the ideal way to do this? I could not find anything in pool swim that would allow me to manually mark a lap.. I am new to this watch so who knows, maybe I missed something.

    Second.. I can't find a data field for Lap Count.. I would love to put this on the screen so I can see the number of laps I have done. My first try at this I created a lap counter for swimming using the running profile.. and it has this field.. the swimming does not. is that correct?

    Thanks..

  • #2
    if you swim in pool swim mode, it is supposed to auto mark each lap each time you push off the wall and glide for a few feet. That would be easier than hitting lap every time. I've found accuracy in a 25 yd pool to be almost always 100% unless i stop and start up again mid lap. I don't know how accurate it would be in a small pool though. And if it's shorter than the minimum distance allowed by the watch, it will show a total distance much larger than actual distance.

    If you don't trust the auto lap feature, you could run the pool swim app and use the drill mode and hit lap every lap as well. But again the distance will be off.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Erich-Harvey02920 View Post
      if you swim in pool swim mode, it is supposed to auto mark each lap each time you push off the wall and glide for a few feet. That would be easier than hitting lap every time. I've found accuracy in a 25 yd pool to be almost always 100% unless i stop and start up again mid lap. I don't know how accurate it would be in a small pool though. And if it's shorter than the minimum distance allowed by the watch, it will show a total distance much larger than actual distance.

      If you don't trust the auto lap feature, you could run the pool swim app and use the drill mode and hit lap every lap as well. But again the distance will be off.
      The problem I found with drill mode is that the device prompts for yardage every time you end a lap. And I could not find a setting to stop it from prompting for distance in drill mode... Essentially I am doing drills, so that would work if it didn't do the prompt for yardage every time I pushed the back button.

      .. If I push off on turns in the pool I end up gliding 1/4 of the pool length. That is why the auto lap will be problematic, and doing swim lap mode probably won't work.. I have tried it and it probably would work with auto lap, but I would be really cutting short my workout on every pool length. So I am really doing drills and not swimming laps.


      I did use open water mode in the pool.. and while it was erratic with each lap distance.. in the end it averaged out to be pretty close to correct. ..

      Comment


      • #4
        Does anyone know why the smallest pool length is 17m? I swim in a 10m pool and the lap count works perfectly for me but it records each length as being 17m (or whatever I set it to above that). Very flattering but not accurate. The point about pushing off taking 1/4 of the pool doesn't seem to matter, it still detects the turn and records a new length.
        It is very frustrating and seems to have no logic. I have raised it as a feature request with Garmin but I am not hopeful.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by etlprws View Post
          Does anyone know why the smallest pool length is 17m? I swim in a 10m pool and the lap count works perfectly for me but it records each length as being 17m (or whatever I set it to above that). Very flattering but not accurate. The point about pushing off taking 1/4 of the pool doesn't seem to matter, it still detects the turn and records a new length.
          It is very frustrating and seems to have no logic. I have raised it as a feature request with Garmin but I am not hopeful.
          Exactly. I swim in a 13 meter pool and it has no issues detecting laps.. I don't even push off that hard because the pool is small. I wish they would remove the 17meter/18 yard limitation on custom size pools.. even if it is an issue with accuracy they could simply disclaim that results may be inconsistent.

          Comment


          • #6
            Agreed. Custom length should be exactly that, with no limitation. Yes, pool mode will count lengths, just not the correct distance. I would customize the watch to a 20m pool, and then at least you know you swam half that distance.

            Comment


            • #7
              Lots of people are doing running workouts. According to my thoughts swimming workouts is best for me. Weekly thrice i swim in the pool. It will give good health benefits to my body. If we noted our workouts it wills also more benefits to our body fitness.
              Swimming is a great workout for body. A swimmer can build endurance, muscle strength and cardio fitness with a proper schedule.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by airborne18th View Post

                Exactly. I swim in a 13 meter pool and it has no issues detecting laps.. I don't even push off that hard because the pool is small. I wish they would remove the 17meter/18 yard limitation on custom size pools.. even if it is an issue with accuracy they could simply disclaim that results may be inconsistent.
                Hi!, I Have exactly the same problem. And I also noted that editing the activity in Garmin Connect can not solve the problem because they don't let you change the pool length or distance later.
                How can we talk with someone in Garmin that can change that?

                Comment


                • #9
                  You can edit - a bit of a fudge but it works.

                  In connect on a PC - edit the activity - switch activity type from Lap Swimming to Open Water Swimming

                  Without leaving the screen change it back to lap swimming

                  This then will allow you to edit pool size!!

                  Change to your desired length and save - your workout will then have right distance and lengths and swolf etc

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe it has been fixed recently, but the last time I tried this it caused the summary statistics to be replaced by incorrect values, because a pool swim activity edited in Garmin Connect adds rest periods into the calculation of averages, which is wrong.
                    Current: nuvi 255, eTrex 30, Forerunner 310XT, Forerunner 735XT, HRM-Tri, HRM-Swim, SDM4, Virb Elite
                    Retired: eTrex Legend, Swim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by elissawilliams View Post
                      Lots of people are doing running workouts. According to my thoughts swimming workouts is best for me. Weekly thrice i swim in the pool. It will give good health benefits to my body. If we noted our workouts it wills also more benefits to our body fitness.
                      Yeah..... it's very true. Swimming is a great exercise. It can make your mind, as well as the body, refreshed. It burns the calories and reduces the body fat. It improves the flexibility and strengthens the muscles.

                      Many people have a misconception that swimming is an exercise that can be performed only during summer. But its not so. It is an exercise that can be performed both during summer and winter months. I do swim in the pool at home that was constructed last year by one of the swimming pool builders of Vaughan. But a few safety tips must be followed while swimming during winter.
                      http://www.soldapools.com/blog/swimm...g-safety-tips/
                      I hope this will help. Thanks!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X