Forerunner935 wrong stroke type detection

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forerunner935 wrong stroke type detection

Hello,
    I have a recently bought forerunner 935 that i use on my swim classes.
    I made three sessions in three diferente days. First one was for learning how the device works. As i'm on swim classe i use a lot the Drill Log.
    When not in Drill Log the stroke type detection is always wrong when i swim free (crawl), with the watch assumming always breaststroke.
    The backstroke is always well identified. This happened in all sessions.
    After the second session i watched a Garmin youtube video about stroke accuracy. Then i tried at home (as in the video), yes in a dry mode, and after a few tries the free stroke was detected by the watch. Then i tried breast stroke and it kept detecting free.
    Last monday, at the pool, i swam always free the most accurately possible and it detected again breast. Several lengths.

I'm not a pro that's sure, but also not that bad.

Any one experienced the same? This might be a problem with the accelerometer, or just i should keep training hoping that my technic and the watch finally find each other.

Finally i'm amazed with the watch and Garmin is known for its quality. It's expensive thats also true but when there's quality, money is worthy. For this reason, i'm trying to solve this litle but annoying issue.
    Last edited by ToniSilva; 07-25-2018, 08:04 AM.

ToniSilva have never had a serious problem with stroke detection in either Garmin Swim, 920 or 935 and my technique is very far from perfect. I have had occasional blips usually when in a crowded pool and having to change direction or modify stroke to avoid people.

I would suggest that if possible you borrow another garmin from someone else and try that. If that isn't available then lend your Garmin to another swimmer in your class with good technique and see if it works for him - if not then its probably the watch - if it works then its probably your technique

Comment

Thanks.
      Next monday will be this season final classe. After that, only in september.
      I had already thougth about that solution. If my first strokes remain badly detected, i'll ask the teacher to swim with my 935 and to let me swim with his fenix 3.
      It will be na infallible test!

Comment

ToniSilva OK great let us know how you get on

Comment

I am an experienced swimmer and still often find that stroke detection is lousy. I just ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy275 View Post
            I am an experienced swimmer and still often find that stroke detection is lousy. I just ignore it.
            Garmin Support told me indirectly that it is something that has margin for improvement, but it takes time, due to its complexity.

Comment

Half test made yesterday.
              I swam two lengths with my teacher's fenix 3 and.. it kept breaststroke I'm a lousy swimmer!
              Couldn't ask someone experienced to test mine 935.
              Garmin Support told me by phone that turns are important and to try it with right arm.
              I'll try to improve and give feedback here.
              Last edited by ToniSilva; 08-01-2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Tighten the strap

Comment

Originally posted by Manev View Post
                  Tighten the strap
                  Done that too. More tight don't know if it's possible. Heard that, face down is also an option... but an ugly one.

Comment

My eleven years daughter tested the watch.
                    Every style perfectly identified!!
                    Then she insisted with my arms movements, specially the end of the stroke and the returning movement.
                    With me on the water, face down and she moving my arms. Still always breast. Then she told me to put it in the right arm and we made a swim run, against each other. At the end: Free!
                    So, maybe, my right arm is the strongest and accurate one.

Comment

How you breath? On every cycle (every time on one and the same side) or on 1.5 cycles (both sides). If you breath on every cycle then moves with left and right arm are different.

Comment

Working...
                      X