Using my new 935 for swim workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using my new 935 for swim workout

This is my first sports watch. I want to jump in the water, select swim, then start, then freestyle swim 4x50yds to warm-up, then 4x50 intervals on 65 seconds, press rest while I swim a backstroke 50 to recover, do a 2nd freestyle swim 4x50 interval set on 65 seconds, press rest and do the 50yd backstroke again, then do a 3rd freestyle swim interval as the previous 2. Then kick board with fins 2x50 intervals on 65 seconds. Finally, 2x50 to warm-down and press STOP.

Can I have my 935 do this for me as outlined above or does this workout need to be more than 1 activity? Can it at least do the three 4x50 interval sets as a single activity?

I have tried this 3 times and been unsuccessful. When I try this just walking on the deck the lengths of the pool it reports ZERO yards swam - must the 935 be wet to record a swim (if so, I guess it is smarter than I am).

TIA, Allan

continuing from my post just above, I was not just trying to be funny about the 935 needing to be wet to record a swim distance - if it can record a distance covered without being wet, then I could experiment, with my glasses on and not my swim goggles, and learn how to do more with my 935 in the pool. Can I just submerge it in a glass of water? TIA, Allan

Comment

I like the glass of water trick! ;-) No, it doesn't have a moisture sensor, but it does have accelerometers and algorithms to detect stroke type. So just walking will not start a lap count. If you simulate freestyle with your arms while walking at a constant pace, and then simulate a touch turn with a wall (or sudden stop and start) and continue in the other direction, you can simulate length counts. Note that to ensure accuracy in the example you gave, you should press the lap button in between each 50, and then again before starting the next 50. Alternatively, if the intervals are fast without much rest, you can use drill mode and manually enter the number of lengths at the end. You must use drill mode for kicks as the watch cannot detect lengths without the arm motion. When you hit stop at the end of the workout, it will save everything you did. Finally you can create your own workout in Garmin Connect and download it to the watch. I haven't done that but it seems pretty easy.

Comment

Too bad the glass of water won't work - I'll look like an idiot to all the sweet ladies doing their water exercise class at the gym pool while I stroke walking the deck! Well I really appreciate the information - it will take a bit of trial and error and shows how far a watch is from a human swim coach.

Are most swimmers satisfied using a watch to time and record their workouts? - If not, I suppose I should not invest the time to learn all the ins and outs.

Comment

Could I enter the # of lengths per interval set after the entire workout is complete into Garmin Connect on my iPhone?

Comment

You can't modify the number of lengths per interval set.. you can change the overall distance and time.. I do separate activities for each interval in my workout. It makes it easier to look at the data afterward. I don't like how it handles the rest periods, nor do I like the drill log mode.. Since I am a distance swimmer, I actually want my warm-ups and speed drills not part of my distance swim. The one flaw with Garmin connect is that you can't really do much with the per length interval data. When you export the activity it does not even export the per lap or per length data.

In my distance swims I want to be able to break out data by distance milestones.. which I am not expecting Garmin Connect to do, but I would being able to export it to excel would be great.
            I am on my 3rd week of being new to using a fitness watch for my swim workouts.. I love the Garmin watch, but not really liking the website or the phone app as much, just because I would love to be able to modify more of the data than I can afterward.

Comment

You can use drill log and enter the # of lengths directly into the watch. This is useful for kicking, or sprinting on short intervals, but you will not record the time for each interval. It is more useful for longer distances, as you won't have to count lengths (I do anyway) and can see the lap times in the watch and Connect later. Can do with sprints but you lose accuracy by having to press lap button after each interval. Impossible to do on short rest periods. I am satisfied with its performance but know it has limitations. My "real swimmer" friends wouldn't use one and instead use the pace clock on wall. So it is all one's preference.

Comment

I think I will always use the pace clock on the wall but there is no way I can remember my times for each interval leg - exact time is not important bc they just need to fall within a range and I need to know if they are much out of that range and how many are.

Is the 'lap' button the 'Back' button?

I'm swimming a pure 800yd this afternoon in a 25 yd pool - I sure hope the lap counter is accurate.

And I do hate Image Verification - it's not like we are exchanging nuclear bomb secrets here...

Comment

Yes, the back button records laps and initiates rest and re-initiates start in middle of a swim (also records manual laps in a run/bike). Start/Stop button is only used at the beginning and end of swim.

In my experience the distance counter is accurate 95% of the time. To ensure accuracy, push off wall forcefully each time. Avoid stopping/starting mid-lane, as it will think you reached a wall.
                  If you pass someone mid-lane, it?s best to ramp up gradually as sprinting mid-lane will trick it into thinking you just did a new length.

Comment

G. Allan - I recommend that you set up this activity as a "workout" in Garmin Connect. You can then upload it to the watch and when you start the activity it will give you a count down timer for each 50 (or each interval). You just have to push the lap button when you hit the wall. I do fast intervals all the time with this and also sprints. Of course sometimes it takes longer to hit the lap button than other times so my 50 times are not super accurate, but it's good enough for practice. (on a side note, I heard that polar had a HR strap that if you touched the watch to the strap as you touched the wall, it would trigger the lap button. ...if Garmin added this functionality, I would buy their HRM Swim for sure.)

Anyway if you create a workout (see screen shot attached), you would start the workout, then choose swim mode and then start. push off the wall and hit lap at the end of each 50. (I used 30 sec rest for rest period on the warmup.) then at 25 sec the watch will start to count down and you push off the wall at zero and do your next 50. then hit lap at the end. At the end of the set add a rest set to "lap button press" so you can start the next interval when you are ready. For your next set of 50's, create a new "repeat" and set the number to 4 and duration to 50yd. for rest interval, set it to Fixed Repetition Duration and 1:05. when you swim this set, you press lap to start and then lap at the end of each 50. The watch will count you into each 50 after the first until you complete the 4th.

then you'd add a cool down for 50 yd and the rest after should be "lap button press". If you are swimming backstroke you can set the stroke as back, but if you are kind of floating or doing anything that will confuse the watch, set it as drill. when you swim each drill you have to hit lap as always at the end, but then you'll have to chose the distance. Set it to 50yd and hit select.

I screwed up my first few workouts on Garmin Connect but after a few trial and errors I figured it out. But hopefully this info helps a little.

Comment

Working...
                    X