Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea when we will see the next sw update?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Or, as my neighbor said after his 910 shut off twice during our 60 mile ride "I wish I kept my 310".

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ZEROZED View Post
      I hate to say it, but Morotola's MotoActv looks pretty interesting.
      I'd be interested in your review after you have swum with a MotoActv.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by HESHER View Post
        I agree that Garmin is succeeding because of a lack of competition.
        I don't think a phone will ever be a replacement for a watch because:

        1. You have to hold the phone during the run, very uncomfortable and obviously not suitable for a triathlon.
        2. If you are an endurance athlete, the phone's battery is insufficient.
        3. The phone costs much more and is more fragile

        Functionality-Wise the iPhone 4s (for example) can do so much more than what 910xt can do, so that's not the reason to get a watch, in my opinion.
        Thats why i said a year or 2 away. What if there was a simple watch that communicated with your phone and provided a display and basic keys? Accessories will likely be available for hr, cadence, etc. Swim would be a challenge.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by MADEUPNAME View Post
          I'd be interested in your review after you have swum with a MotoActv.
          I'm not a swimmer so that's not going to happen

          But seriously....my point was/is that Garmin now has a whole host of companies beginning to compete in this market. The MotoActv is just one example (and my point was that the NEXT generation of the device will probably be very compelling--not the current iteration).

          I've owned 4 Garmin Forerunners, one GlobalSat (GS-Sport), and the new Timex Run Trainer GPS. I'm sort of a GPS watch junkie. I generally prefer the Forerunner line, BUT Garmin has been doing a rather poor job in both the firmware and software department. The Timex Device Agent software is far superior to Garmin Connect, and there's absolutely no excuse for that. Motorola has delivered an Android-based GPS watch with built in maps, music, and more--that's pretty cool innovation. Garmin made us suffer through the FR405 line of buggy touchscreens and weak watch bands. Garmin just needs to bring it's "A-game" if it wants to remain the industry leader in this market. And I think there's one thing we 910XT users can agree on--Garmin isn't currently bringing their A-game.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by HESHER View Post
            3. The phone costs much more and is more fragile
            Not were I live. Our last phone upgrade, we got two HTC andoid based smartphones for nearly the price of my 910XT.
            Michael - Why is it after I 'push one for English', I still cant understand the person on the other end?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ZEROZED View Post
              I'm not a swimmer so that's not going to happen
              And neither is the MotoActv

              Comment


              • #22
                At least the ANT+ agent update that rolled out yesterday fixes some of my problems.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by KARLW2000 View Post
                  Or, as my neighbor said after his 910 shut off twice during our 60 mile ride "I wish I kept my 310".
                  interesting...anyone else seen this?
                  It happened to me yesterday twice while I also had course navigation on on a 36k run, the watch just turned off!
                  I also see the course disappearing and/or redraw very slow, this is definitely worse than on the 305

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by LEFTY01 View Post
                    interesting...anyone else seen this?
                    It happened to me yesterday twice while I also had course navigation on on a 36k run, the watch just turned off!
                    I also see the course disappearing and/or redraw very slow, this is definitely worse than on the 305
                    The course issue is very well know. :-(
                    Try to use GPSies to download courses to your 910. Choose format "Garmin course TCX/CRS". Klick on "show options" and mark "set points evenly".
                    This will fix disappearing track and most of crahing.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The problem is not so much a disappearing courses. It is simply taking too long to draw the course. This worked great on the 305, what did they mess up in the 910. Does the nee micro sot have some graphics features that the older micros. Can this be fixed with sw?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by AVIKOREN1 View Post
                        The problem is not so much a disappearing courses. It is simply taking too long to draw the course. This worked great on the 305, what did they mess up in the 910. Does the nee micro sot have some graphics features that the older micros. Can this be fixed with sw?
                        Please just try GPSies. The 305 is a different device type and does NOT have this bug. This bug currently affects FR 310/910XT and Edge 500. It affects several aspects incl. speed, disappearing, crashing.
                        So you can't compare the 305 with the 910.
                        Hopefully you got the point

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          it displays I am doing 12 minute miles but when I upload via the ant it is corrected

                          I am new, probably duplicating other messages.
                          I purchased the Garmin 910 to help with run pace..
                          (Giving up my Polar and Cateye)
                          When I am running, it displays I am doing 12 minute miles but when I upload via the ant it is corrected to the pace I expect.
                          Is that the issue everyone has and waiting for a fix?
                          To clarify, I am looking at the main run screen; Time, Pace and Distance.
                          Maybe I am looking at the wrong screen?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by TINTOR01 View Post
                            I am new, probably duplicating other messages.
                            I purchased the Garmin 910 to help with run pace..
                            (Giving up my Polar and Cateye)
                            When I am running, it displays I am doing 12 minute miles but when I upload via the ant it is corrected to the pace I expect.
                            Is that the issue everyone has and waiting for a fix?
                            To clarify, I am looking at the main run screen; Time, Pace and Distance.
                            Maybe I am looking at the wrong screen?
                            You are right. This happens to mine too. I have called Garmin over the last couple of months about this issue (and others) They deny that this is a problem with the unit. I put it to them that those that don't have this variable current pace issue do not use this feature. I borrowed a friends who said his was fine and it was not fine at all, he just liked to use average pace not instant pace. Hopefully a software fix comes soon.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              They sure are taking there time there at garmin.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TINTOR01 View Post
                                I am new, probably duplicating other messages.
                                I purchased the Garmin 910 to help with run pace..
                                (Giving up my Polar and Cateye)
                                When I am running, it displays I am doing 12 minute miles but when I upload via the ant it is corrected to the pace I expect.
                                Is that the issue everyone has and waiting for a fix?
                                To clarify, I am looking at the main run screen; Time, Pace and Distance.
                                Maybe I am looking at the wrong screen?
                                There is a known issue with instant pace, which should be better with 2.4. If you are already running 2.4 it is what it is.
                                BUT to be honest, instant Pace by GPS is anyway not very accurate due to GPS inaccuracy. In relation to your speed even a good accuracy of 5m would affect your instant Pace calculation in a higher percentage then i.e. for a biker and even for him to inaccurate. When uploaded your pace is calculated by time and track total. (or as well for lap if "auto lap" activated).
                                The inaccuracy of GPS does not affect you total distance a lot. So what the GC is telling you is correct.
                                So the usual recommendation is not to display instant Pace for GPS speed. The better way is to display Pace/lap and configure "Auto-Lap" for distance of i.e. 1/2 mile.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X