Courses On the 910XT Are An Epic Fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courses On the 910XT Are An Epic Fail

I attempted to ride my first course today. I created it on Garmin Connect and downloaded it to the watch. I then started the course.

Right away I noticed that it didn't update very fast if I was moving. At first, it would take about 20 seconds to update my position on the map, which made it difficult to know exactly where a turn was supposed to be. I hope I am not misunderstanding how courses are to be used, but it seems like they should work if you are moving. A stationary person shouldn't have much use for following a course.

Later in my ride I started getting a lot of "Off Course" warnings, but I was riding on the course on a road that was straight. I had GPS accuracy of +/- 12ft.

About 1/3rd of the way into the ride the map started going blank with only the zoom level showing or the zoom level and a message saying "drawing" or the zoom level, the triangle indicating where I was and the message saying "drawing". The course to follow completely disappeared. I could get it to reappear if I stopped and waited. I was going about 20mph and road about a mile with the map blank while the watch continuously redrew. Here are three somewhat blurry photos of what I was seeing. Sorry for the quality, but I was moving. I couldn't stop and take a photo, because the problem goes away when you stop.

What good are courses if:

1) You can't see the course you are supposed to be following
    2) The course only appears if you stop moving
    3) Redrawing may take several minutes and you will have missed your turn (or several turns) by the time it finishes.

I have recently moved to a new city and don't know many good biking routes. The Course feature is a great application for this situation. I am really disappointing that it is so unusable. I haven't seen anyone else mention problems like this. Are most people just using it out of curiosity and not really to navigate an unknown course?

I am starting to feel like this is really an overpriced version of the much cheaper Forerunner 110 with the illusion of additional features that only work marginally or not at all.

I got the same problem, downloaded a course made from GF 305 activitiy, will try to download a course from GF 910xt acitivity.

Comment

I had similar issues with the 310xt, as described here. I was one of the first with the new device when it came out. There were several issues with courses and map redrawing that took a software update to remedy. It works great now, but those first few months took a lot of communication with Garmin support before they made it right. You might check with them to see if there is a planned update, or if they are even aware of the problems.
      Phil M.
      myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
      F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
      nüvi 67LMT

Comment

That is interesting Phil. I wonder why they didn't test for that same problem on the 910xt before it was released?

When we have a problem on a product, we typically fix it and develop a test so the following products don't have the same issue. It is expensive to fix the same firmware bug over and over.

Originally posted by SEILOGRAMP View Post
        I had similar issues with the 310xt, as described here. I was one of the first with the new device when it came out. There were several issues with courses and map redrawing that took a software update to remedy. It works great now, but those first few months took a lot of communication with Garmin support before they made it right. You might check with them to see if there is a planned update, or if they are even aware of the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by KAFOLSKE View Post
          That is interesting Phil. I wonder why they didn't test for that same problem on the 910xt before it was released?

When we have a problem on a product, we typically fix it and develop a test so the following products don't have the same issue. It is expensive to fix the same firmware bug over and over.
          Agreed, assuming it is the same issue. Seems the 310XT and 910XT may have similar software, so this should have been tested before final release. Surely, the 310XT issue was logged somewhere for the developers to review.
          Phil M.
          myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
          F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
          nüvi 67LMT

Comment

If you had read simple through this forum you would have noticed the issue is well known. As well to all similar platforms like 310XT and Edge 500.
            It started with Edge 500 Version 2.6.
            This issue is now known for more than 1,5 year to Garmin. A lot of people are dispointed. It is known when it happened(the version mentioned). It is known why it happened (release notes highlighting "Course optimization". And meanwhile it is proven what the issue is (about problems with trackpoints for straight section of a track, where the distance between the trackpoints is quite far).
            But Garmin Software service seems to have other priorities. Selling featured products once looks the better way for Garmin marketing.

Just to tell you - there is a workaround. Create your courses on GPSies.com. Save it. Choose download format "Garmin Course CRS/TCX). Then got to options and mark "Set points evenly". This feature is purely made to be a workaround for this Garmin issue. Your courses will be permantly visible and it will reduce long course crashes.

Finally you should run latest firmware version 2.4
            Last edited by hulster; 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I totally agree and started a similar thread called slow redraw weeks ago. I also called Garmin regarding this issue. I compared the course draw time using the 305 and the 910, same course. The 305 took 1 or 2 seconds while the 910 took about 30 seconds, to draw the exact same course. The 910 missed the mark with this problem and I hope a fix will come soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AVIKOREN1 View Post
                I totally agree and started a similar thread called slow redraw weeks ago. I also called Garmin regarding this issue. I compared the course draw time using the 305 and the 910, same course. The 305 took 1 or 2 seconds while the 910 took about 30 seconds, to draw the exact same course. The 910 missed the mark with this problem and I hope a fix will come soon.
                I remember that thread. I kept thinking this was for a course that had already been run or ridden and it was attempting to redraw the breadcrumb trail.

Now I realize this problem is for both ridden and unridden courses. Sorry for the double post.

Comment

Its okay. The more posts the faster (I hope) it will be resolved. I too follow new courses a lot and this issue is frustrating especially because my older and much cheaper 305 handles this like a champ. In many ways (instant pace) the 305 is better

Comment

That is interesting Phil.

Comment

I have also got this problem and others with my 910XT. Garmins response to this units issues is pathetic. I really think they should issue a recall as this does not do what it is advertised to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JRB005 View Post
                        I have also got this problem and others with my 910XT. Garmins response to this units issues is pathetic. I really think they should issue a recall as this does not do what it is advertised to do.
                        As long as they can be fixed in software, I don't think a recall is prudent. However, these problems need to be fixed relatively soon. Waiting too long and it feels like you are better off returning it to Garmin and buying the next version of the watch.

Comment

As long as they can be fixed in software, I don't think a recall is prudent. However, these problems need to be fixed relatively soon. Waiting too long and it feels like you are better off returning it to Garmin and buying the next version of the watch.
                          Yes i suppose i agree. However some of the other issues are unlikely ever to be fixed with software updates, such as unexpectantly switching off when riding and losing GPS all the time.

Comment

I put in a support request in the hopes that Garmin would take this seriously.

It took two days for them to respond and they told me to do a master reset and make sure I am on the latest firmware. This is the typical canned response for nearly every support issue I have ever submitted.

I am losing hope they will fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by ALORENZEN_DE View Post
                              ...And meanwhile it is proven what the issue is (about problems with trackpoints for straight section of a track, where the distance between the trackpoints is quite far).
                              Just to tell you - there is a workaround. Create your courses on GPSies.com. Save it. Choose download format "Garmin Course CRS/TCX). Then got to options and mark "Set points evenly". This feature is purely made to be a workaround for this Garmin issue. Your courses will be permantly visible and it will reduce long course crashes.

Finally you should run latest firmware version 2.4
                              I observed this problem as well and will definitely try the described workaround.
                              But are you able to say more about the "critical" distance between trackpoints an a straight line?
                              eg. you think its in the range of one kilometer/mile or more of some hundred meters?

thanks for this hint
                              andreas

Comment

Working...
                              X