No announcement yet.

Barometer/Altitude issues

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MARTOWL View Post
    Do you think there is something wrong with your unit?
    No, and I think it will eventually get fixed via some firmware updates, just like the pace smoothing (hopefully!). It's simply a matter of fine tuning the algorithm it's using. Smoothing it out, re-calibrating it periodically based on GPS, etc... Perhaps I'm being optimistic though. In theory, it doesn't seem that hard of a fix in the software, but, there's not a lot of transparency with the developers/code to let me know if it's as simple as I say. Be nice to have someone from the dev team give a little 'state of the union' update on some of the issues thus far.

Comment

Garmin where are you?

It would be great to hear back from Garmin on this one. I think they may loose some business to Suunto if this issue doesn't get resolved soon.

Comment

They've been out in the field for exactly ten days. It might be a bit premature to write them off as a failure.

Anyone out there in a position to compare the elevation readings with an Edge or a Suunto or something, as a matter of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by FUJI_RACER View Post
          Don't have mine yet but have been watching the forum to see how I need to set it up (most efficiently) once it arrives. So it looks like turning ON elevation correction is a good bet?
          Turning elevation corrections on or off is done in Garmin Connect, not on the device itself.

Comment

Originally posted by FUJI_RACER View Post
            Don't have mine yet but have been watching the forum to see how I need to set it up (most efficiently) once it arrives. So it looks like turning ON elevation correction is a good bet?
            If you're going to use elevation correction, what's the point of the altimeter? I would have thought Garmin would use the same algorithm as the Edge. I'm fairly happy with my Edge 500 on my bike. It gives similar results as correction except a bit more detail. Probably why more altitude change.

Probably won't upgrade my 310 to a 910 though. The swim lap counter mistakes rule it out. That's the one feature I really would like to have.

Comment

Maybe it's like someone suggested that the arm swing makes the difference? The Edge is stationary on the bike. Perhaps the only thing they need to do is to raise some threshhold in order not to take in the arm swing into the calculations?

It is a silly mistake though, if it's true.
              DISTANCE: 3000M___ - 5000M___ - 10000M__ - 21098M_ - 42195M_ --- Current VDOT: ?
              PB______: 10:50,09 - 18:40,20 - 38:39,00 - 1:25:39 - 3:10:26

Comment

Originally posted by MCBADGER View Post
                They've been out in the field for exactly ten days. It might be a bit premature to write them off as a failure.

Anyone out there in a position to compare the elevation readings with an Edge or a Suunto or something, as a matter of interest?
                I agree but a fix sooner rather than later would be ideal. I for one hope to stay with Garmin but this barometer thing is a real downer for me. Let's hope it's just a software fix.

Comment

Originally posted by MCBADGER View Post
                  I don't have a 910 (yet) but I do have a copy of the manual, and pages 6-7 describe how to save locations with known elevations to do exactly that.

Not that that's any excuse for the other problems you are having...
                  I created a way point just before starting off and manually set the altitude of it to 45'. The watches GPS accuracy was showing under 20'. So I was basically standing in the same point that I created the way point when I hit the start button.

I tried to just go look at the manual pages 6-7 to verify I didn't miss anything but the 910 has been completely removed from the "in to sports" section of garmin.com.

Comment

Originally posted by ALAALA View Post
                    Maybe it's like someone suggested that the arm swing makes the difference? The Edge is stationary on the bike. Perhaps the only thing they need to do is to raise some threshhold in order not to take in the arm swing into the calculations?

It is a silly mistake though, if it's true.
                    Time for another one of my experiments. I have a wrist mount that I can connect my Edge 500. I used it once on a short run just to see if it can be done. Never did look at the elevation though because it was a flat run. Arm swing definitely seems to affect the distance of all my Garmin gps watches. The faster I run, the longer the recorded distance. I always attributed it to my faster cadence and more pronounced arm swing at say 10k pace.

Comment

Has anyone had the way point calibration work for elevation? I have created a way point within 20' of where I push the start button (verified by looking at the map zoomed way in) and it totally ignores the way point elevation.

Right now, my 310 is doing a better job with elevation than my 910. The 910 doesn't fluctuate as much as the 310, but the current altitude is generally more accurate and the ascent is way more accurate on the 310, likely due to the data smoothing.

Good news is I am sure they can fix this with a firmware update. Bad news is this is basic functionality that should have just been working from day one.

Comment

It is known from other outdoor watches with barometers that they tend to fail if they are attached too tight to your wrist. This is due to the necessity of taking proper temperature informations into altitude calculation and therefore for example some Suunto watches need a bit air to breath.

I don't know where exactly the 910XT has it's temperature sensor, but maybe you give it another try without overtightening it.

Comment

I also have the feeling it ignores my manually added waypoint with elevation data. Also, yesterday I spent 45 minutes cycling on a trainer (indoors, stationary) and the 910 thought I climbed 270m during this exercise...

Comment

Originally posted by JESTER_ View Post
                            I also have the feeling it ignores my manually added waypoint with elevation data. Also, yesterday I spent 45 minutes cycling on a trainer (indoors, stationary) and the 910 thought I climbed 270m during this exercise...
                            Temperature changes due to the heat being generated

Comment

Originally posted by MINIMIMIMI View Post
                              It is known from other outdoor watches with barometers that they tend to fail if they are attached too tight to your wrist.
                              These are definitely not the issues here. Doesn't matter if it is attached to my wrist or just sitting on window sill. Totally ignores set way points and never (at least not in a couple hours) adjust to the correct altitude based on GPS updates.

So it isn't the air port on the back/side getting plugged and it isn't the wrist temperature since it was just sitting there no where near my body. It did have a very strong satellite signal with accuracy of about 19'. I am at 45' above sea level and it just stayed at around 200'.
                              Last edited by EKUTTER; 01-26-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KARLW2000 View Post
                                Time for another one of my experiments. I have a wrist mount that I can connect my Edge 500. I used it once on a short run just to see if it can be done. Never did look at the elevation though because it was a flat run. Arm swing definitely seems to affect the distance of all my Garmin gps watches. The faster I run, the longer the recorded distance. I always attributed it to my faster cadence and more pronounced arm swing at say 10k pace.
                                Well, hopefully they use the same algorithm as the Edge 500. I ran 4 laps around my 0.3 mile block which is dead flat around 20 feet above sea level. I actually expected some kind of variation, but it flat lined at 20 feet. Compared the my FR310, the Edge 500 was much better than gps in altitude.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/144728122 (Edge 500)
                                http://connect.garmin.com/activity/144728487 (FR310)

Both devices got the distance short however. Should be 1.20miles, but I get that often from all my gps devices sometimes around my block. Some days really good, some days not so good.

I was running quite a bit slow however (warm up) so not a lot of arm swing. I had the 500 mounted to a wrist adapter so I don't know if it picks up my wrist temperature. I had the 310 in my left hand so I could press the lap buttons.

Comment

Working...
                                X