No announcement yet.

610 wrong calories count theory

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 610 wrong calories count theory

Since I saw here that I'm not the only one with the problem of wrong calories count after a workout, I tought that I would try to came up with a theory on why it may happen.

I used Firstbeat Athlete software while the trial let me, and on some run I noticed a lot of erratic reading with the heart beat, but obviously, Athlete is able to calculate accurate calories reading and what seems to be a reasonable training effort number.

Could it be that the forerunner 610 does use those erratic reading in it's calculation and somehow came up with wrong data. Like if I say that my maximum heart rate is 186 and the watch read 250Bpm it may think that when I run with a 160BPM that I don't do that much effort. It seems plausible.

I use the old hard strap that came up with my 305. Maybe that's why I got this level of error in reading and that I got so much problem with my calories count. In fact, I perform a full reset of the watch, get good reading and after 4 run it's start to report half calories again.

I wrote to Firstbeat and they told me that the problem is in the firmware of the watch sine Athlete software works fine and that prove that their calculation are right.

I hope tha Garmin can come up with a new firmware that get this back on track. I just upgraded from a 305 to get a watch with a good calories reading and I'm very frustrated to have spend that much $$$ for nothing. I don't want to have to buy athlete for 75$ just to get a data that the watch is supposed to provide !

In the mean time I ordered a softstrap to see if the problem is less obvious that way.

I think you won't see much of an improvement, if any, with a new heart rate strap. I have several heart rate straps (old Garmin, CycleOps, and just received softstrap from Garmin). I have only had the softstrap for a little while, so it will take a few more workouts to see if I see a trend for the better. FirstBeat Athlete tells you the error percentage with your heart rate data, and on all of the straps, it had ranged from 3% to 18%. My newer strap was 3% with the one and only workout (brick workout--bike/run) that I did yesterday. I have had a similarly low number with the other two. Calorie estimation in FBA was significantly higher than what the watch read (I am referencing my experience with the 910XT, which uses the same technology). I have provided my workouts to Garmin to look at (because not only is the calorie count off, but the Training Effect as well). Hopefully the more data they have to look at will help come to a solution. I'm not sure if this is a universal experience, or if it's limited to a few/many watches.

Comment

I was in the exact same situation. I would run 8 miles and my 610 would tell me I burned 300 calories. My solution was a master reset followed by switching to the polar heart rate strap. That initial spike in HR caused by the garmin strap has been eliminated with the polar strap. Just soak the contact patches with water and give the watch a minute or two to settle before heading out on the run.

Also, with FBA i'm in the 2-3% error group with the polar strap.

Comment

Originally posted by COMBATTALON2 View Post
        I was in the exact same situation. I would run 8 miles and my 610 would tell me I burned 300 calories. My solution was a master reset followed by switching to the polar heart rate strap. That initial spike in HR caused by the garmin strap has been eliminated with the polar strap. Just soak the contact patches with water and give the watch a minute or two to settle before heading out on the run.

Also, with FBA i'm in the 2-3% error group with the polar strap.
        I started washing my soft strap by hand after every run. Six runs later and all of my workouts have been in the 3-7% error range as determined by FBA. That is acceptable to me. I am sure my remaining error percentage is a result of interference. The manual states that 2.4Ghz devices can interfere with the watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TEPALLIS View Post
          I started washing my soft strap by hand after every run. Six runs later and all of my workouts have been in the 3-7% error range as determined by FBA. That is acceptable to me. I am sure my remaining error percentage is a result of interference. The manual states that 2.4Ghz devices can interfere with the watch.
          I think the garmin strap's problem is that it doesn't hold the sweat/moisture and then drys out quickly causing the spikes in HR. The polar strap's contact patches are woven into the fabric so it holds moisture in and keeps a good electrical contact with the body.

Comment

I did some tests with the new strap and the reading seems more accurate, I still have glitch that read zero but no glitch that give crazy results like 250 or 300 BPM. Here is a screenshot of an exemple with the old strap in Athlete:

And here is the begining of my run this morning:

As you can see, there is no high glitch with the new. Lets hope it will get rid of the firmware problem that the 610, which is probably using the glitch in it's calculation. I exchange some Email with the Garmin support and they don't seem to aknowledge that there is a problem, even tough my training effect were always 5.0 in Garmin connect.

I also ordered some gel to improve the contact to see if I can get rid of the lower reading, but I don't think that those are problematic.
            For your information I usually had between 3 and 9 % of accuracy in Athlete. This morning I had 2%

And also I finaly gave in and bought the Athlete license since that was the only reliable way so far.I will now have to wait a couple of run to see if the watch stay accurate with a new full reset

Comment

Well, problem seems less bad with the new strap, calories seems more accurate so far (about 70 calories less than what athlete is reporting) but the training effect is still having a tendencies to go easily on the 5.0.

As for the gel, don't bother, water on the strap seems to work just as fine.

My advice, if accurate calories report is important to you, just spend the extra 75$ for the athlete software. Don't rely on the 610 measurement.

Comment

I don't have any problems only using water, but I wet my whole chest and the belt before I put him on..

And the belt isn't tighten too strong...
                Garmin Forerunner 910XT

Comment

Incorrect Calories

I am also experiencing incorrect calorie calculations. I am using the Garmin softstrap and usually dampen the electrodes prior to running which minimizes any unusual "warm-up" fluctuations.

I will attach two links which show an identical run course - with a fairly substantial difference in calories burned - 996 vs. 721. All of the run parameters look pretty consistent, including distance, pace, TE, average and max heart rate, etc. Bottom line is I have no idea why there is such a difference in calories. Hope the data will help solve the issue or if anyone has any thoughts - I would appreciate hearing them.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165394914

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/154242150

Comment

heart rate gone crazy, TE & calorie count now very low

My Garmin 610 is fairly new (2 months old). My Heart Rate readings went crazy for about a week, saying my heart rate was at around 250 for most of my runs, when I was barely even puffing. Now the heart rate seems back to normal, but I'm noticing the Training Effect, which used to be consistently at 5, is now a 1 every time (including when i pushed hard today in a 10k race). The calorie count is also ridiculously low now - e.g. - same 10k race it says I burnt 170 calories, but when I did a very easy 30 min run last week it was more than double that. I've changed straps, changed heart rate monitors - Garmin & Adidas. Any tips as to how to resolve this, I'd be grateful. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GECKOVIV View Post
                      My Garmin 610 is fairly new (2 months old). My Heart Rate readings went crazy for about a week, saying my heart rate was at around 250 for most of my runs, when I was barely even puffing. Now the heart rate seems back to normal, but I'm noticing the Training Effect, which used to be consistently at 5, is now a 1 every time (including when i pushed hard today in a 10k race). The calorie count is also ridiculously low now - e.g. - same 10k race it says I burnt 170 calories, but when I did a very easy 30 min run last week it was more than double that. I've changed straps, changed heart rate monitors - Garmin & Adidas. Any tips as to how to resolve this, I'd be grateful. thanks.
                      You probably should do a complete reset to clear out the system. It probably thinks that your normal max HR is 250, so when you are now running with a normal HR, the 610 thinks that you are slacking.

Comment

Originally posted by COMBATTALON2 View Post
                        I think the garmin strap's problem is that it doesn't hold the sweat/moisture and then drys out quickly causing the spikes in HR. The polar strap's contact patches are woven into the fabric so it holds moisture in and keeps a good electrical contact with the body.
                        I already had a polar strap from my FT7 and have been using it simply because it is more comfortable.

On a side note, if you want to go to the trouble of editing the TCX file, you can eliminate those one-off readings. You just open the file with a text editor (notepad) and skim through the file for anyplace you HBM suddenly jumps from 85 to 200 for a couple of beats and either correct the data, or delete those few track points. I've used this method frequently when converting a hiking track into a route and the track shows me suddenly walking on water for 100 feet before jumping back to the trail.

Comment

Working...
                        X