Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS errors at start of runs. Can see it on the map.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC's trail test confirms what I have experienced. As I run through a portion of my trail that is covered with trees and is curvy, the pace accuracy decreases. It shows my pace as being slower than what I am running.

I am looking forward to Garmin's response to DC's tests and this thread.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky most, if not all of my runs aren't on trails. I have a 5 mile race on Monday evening on open roads, will be interesting to see what it measures.

Comment

Originally posted by TALSELA View Post
        I bought the FR610 a week ago (haven't received it yet) to replace my old 405CX, and this issue seems like a showstopper to me.

Has anyone facing this problem actually talked to customer support and found out if they're aware of the severity of this bug and/or asked them for an estimate for when a firmware fix will be available?
        Yes, Garmin has acknowledged on these forums that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

In my experience, Garmin will not disclose on these forums a timeline on when to expect any new firmware updates.

Comment

Originally posted by PMRLO View Post
          Hello everyone.
          I'm currently considering a forerunner 610, but am having second thoughts because of this issue. What I find puzzling is the lack of response from garmin. Do you really expect me to spend 300 EUR in a watch, just to have to tap the screen everytime I start a run or a lap? Right now current and future customers should know :

1) if the problem can be adressed by a firmware.
          2) when will the firmware be released.
          Garmin did acknowledge that they are looking into this issue.

In my experience with these forums, Garmin does not provide a timeline on when the next firmware version will be released.

Comment

Originally posted by CRMILT View Post
            DC's trail test confirms what I have experienced. As I run through a portion of my trail that is covered with trees and is curvy, the pace accuracy decreases. It shows my pace as being slower than what I am running.
            Are you using GPS or a footpod to measure pace? If you are using GPS, then your pace results won't be that accurate, no matter if you are using a 610 or any other Forerunner.

Comment

Originally posted by DW152 View Post
              Are you using GPS or a footpod to measure pace? If you are using GPS, then your pace results won't be that accurate, no matter if you are using a 610 or any other Forerunner.
              DW152, thanks for the note. I am using GPS not a footpod.

Comment

Hasn't happened yet

I bought the 610 despite this very alarming bug, because I have faith that Garmin will fix it, and I don't visit the US everyday

I ran a warm-up 3km run just to wake up from my 20hr flight here before my HM tomorrow, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised - I did not see the start/lap bug. I set a training screen to show me only the GPS accuracy and even after displaying the lap screen for 5 seconds, it stayed at 6m-9m (~18-27ft) which I think it's pretty acceptable since that's what I usually had on my Garmin 405CX.

Maybe we're talking about faulty units and not bad firmware?

I will update tomorrow after the HM, because I'm not about to touch the screen 22 times (I use km, not miles)

Comment

Vibration?

Could there be any relationship with the vibration alert? I had it switched off and didn't see the start/lap accuracy problem. After switching it on, yes I could see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DCV2002 View Post
                    Oh snap... I guess maybe all of the people who were shouting me down because I complained about this over a month ago, might be a little quiet now.
                    I suppose I'm one of those who was "shouting you down". But if you look back, I never disputed what you were saying. I only said that I thought Garmin should be given a chance to address the issue before anyone started a campaign against the device. They have acknowledged it and seems like they've located the source of the issue.

I agree that they could be a LOT more forthcoming in keeping people up to date on the issue and letting us know the progress. If the issue boils down to the alert screen, which seems to be the case, then it should be a pretty simple fix. But now weeks have gone by since that revelation and no word on when the next update might be. I don't have a big problem with bugs as long as they are addressed and people stay in touch about the progress. Garmin is just contributing to a bad PR campaign at this point by not being vocal about fixing this issue.

Comment

NOT going to purchase the 610

Because of this forum I am NOT going to buy the 610. I was ready and willing to drop 400$ on the thing but Garmin has not chosen to be more expeditious in their handling of buggy issues. I have been told that only 1 of 1000 people who are dissatisfied will say something to a company about their displeasure, 999 will just walk away! I'm walking away.

Comment

Good choice SCIL. My 6+ mile run this morning was about 0.08-0.09 miles short this morning and that is with tapping the damn watch every time a screen came up. I had to stop 25 minutes in because I had a piece of glass embedded into the bottom of one sneaker. No cut, but could feel it each step.

Everything else about this watch is great, but the GPS information is just damn frustrating.

BIT - I wonder how long we'd still have to wait if I didn't get on them in the first place. It's June 12th. It's been over a month and nothing. All they did was send me a new watch which still has the same problems and told us to tap the screen to hope that it remedies the problem. To me, still bad PR. I think they might be being quiet in the hope in blows over.

I wonder what they will tell DCRainmaker since he seems to have asked them a question about the GPS accuracy issues of the 610. He probably has more pull than I do.

Comment

It has been my experience that Garmin releases firmware updates every 2 to 3 months, and that they do not provide timelines on when the next update will be released. The latest version of the 610 firmware (2.2) was released on 11 May. They have acknowledged that they are looking into the beginning of lap GPS problem.

To keep things in perspective, the 610 has relatively few problem compared to other Garmin products when they were first released. An error of 0.09 miles out of 6 miles is less than a 2 percent error.

Comment

DW - Whatever. 2% error over 26.2 miles is 0.52 miles. Hopefully they answer dcrainmaker.

Comment

Originally posted by DCV2002 View Post
                              DW - Whatever. 2% error over 26.2 miles is 0.52 miles. Hopefully they answer dcrainmaker.
                              Consider yourself lucky...my shiny new 610 has an error of 0.2 miles over a ~5 mile span.

Just to be clear, this isn't a random error, it's a systematic error (or bias). I can live with the random error of my 305, as they tend to cancel with more time/distance. With the 610, the error gets worse with time/distance, even clearing the screen.

If you're on the fence about getting a 610, stay away until they're fixed.

Edit: I added a JPG image of the GPS data from a run today versus the actual track, shown roughly as red arrows. Despite an accuracy reading of <20 feet at the beginning of the run, the first recorded position is approximately 300' away from my actual location. Unfortunately, this type of bias occurs on roughly a third of the runs I've had with the 610 and is always the same direction.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ilikebeer; 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM. Reason: added JPG

Comment

fr 610 vs 110

After reading this post I decided to check my new unit with my old 110. So I went to run with both devices, waited for satellites and walked 200 m until both units were showing nearly same pace, then hit start button and start running.

Results were in line with seen in this post:
                                fr 110 - 8,39 kms at 5:31 min/km pace
                                fr 610 - 8,17 kms at 5:40 ( -0,22 km = -2,6%)

I have to say in favour of the 619 thata I forgot to do the magic tapping at start.

Other strange things:

610 recorded minimum height - 88 metres at start of run against + 5 m of the 110 ( I live at sea level)

610 showed 50 secs diff between moving and elapsed time againts only one sec. difference in 110.

I will make in further test in my next runs ( tapping, without vibration, etc.. and keep you posted).

Comment

Working...
                                X