Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS errors at start of runs. Can see it on the map.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good customer service can make such a difference. I was an early adopter of the latest Kindle, preordering it. Some of the early units shipped with a bug that made them crash often. I contacted Amazon and within 48 hours I had a brand new Kindle in my hands, with a pre-paid postage sticker to ship the old one back. Stuff like that makes you ignore the original problem and talk instead about their amazing service.

Comment

They overnighted the watch to me yesterday. I should get it today. Talk about a change in support. I'll start reviewing the watch again tomorrow. It will probably take me a week to truly review the watch.

Comment

Originally posted by BIT101 View Post
        Good customer service can make such a difference. I was an early adopter of the latest Kindle, preordering it. Some of the early units shipped with a bug that made them crash often. I contacted Amazon and within 48 hours I had a brand new Kindle in my hands, with a pre-paid postage sticker to ship the old one back. Stuff like that makes you ignore the original problem and talk instead about their amazing service.
        Apple has done similar things. They even replaced a Time Capsule I had that was quite a ways past the warranty expiration, because they had had numerous reports of failures with that batch.

Comment

They sent me a 610 without the HR strap. What's the emoticon where it bangs its head against the wall?

Comment

Comment

Not too surprising but the start error is in this new watch also. No other errors (I think) for the laps. Definitely a software issue and I'm surprised since I reported this problem a month ago a patch/fix hasn't been released in the Firmware update.

I will try the clear Timer Started screen fix tomorrow.

Comment

Im sorry to say this, but this watch with the 2.2 firmware is useless.. Well, its allright if you are gonna do a long run and dont do any start/stop neither any laps.

But using this watch in a race or during intervals = FAIL !

Previously ive owned several 305, 310, 405 watches. 310xt being my favoruite as we speak.

Ive read about the problems on this forum about "autolap" and "start/stop" and today i tested the watch at the track.

I ran a 800m with 1second gps and put a autolap every 100m to force the watch to do a lot of "laps" to see how much error it would make.

The watch measure the 800m track to 710m.. Thats over 10% error.
                I also ran 8 x 300m and those showed between 285 and 309m - and thats pretty okai. When I do those I only get "one" error - when i start the watch.

This watch and this firmware is useless for anything other than long easy run. Why havent Garmin updated this firmware?
                WHat kind of beta testers do garmin use?!

Yes, I know i can "tap" the display - but i dont want to TAP the display during a race and dont trust the pace every mile/km. Yes, I know these watches arent 100% accurate - but this 610 firmware is pretty f***** up..

Garmin need to respond to this issue asap and give us an estimate for firmware upgrade.

Comment

Ohh. I turned OFF the autolap during the 300m's - thats why it was more accurate.

Comment

Espenringom - I feel your pain. However, the track is probably the worst place to gauge the accuracy of any GPS watch, since you are only running straight for 200m and turning for 200m.

Nevertheless, it is rather annoying to have to press/tap the watch after every action to hope that the GPS accuracy doesn't shoot through the roof. I still think there is a slight delay at the start, before you tap the screen to clear it. I just wish this would be addressed in a firmware update. Maybe they are waiting for all the bugs to come in since the watch is in much wider release now before issuing a firmware patch.

Comment

One thing I notice is that there is always a big gap between Time and Moving Time for my first lap/mile. Even when clearing the Timer Started screen. This morning was 7 seconds difference. Yesterday was 5. Sunday's was 0. Saturday's was 8 (I didn't clear the screen on Saturday's run).

All the other laps only have discrepancies of 0 or 1 seconds. Still think something is going on with the start of this watch. Some sort of delay....

Comment

I suggest everyone read this blog entry...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/2...-in-depth.html

Notice, the 610 in the "rambling loop" test, which is probably what 99% of all of our runs are. Distance comes up short by 3+%. However, I'm sure DC isn't clicking/tapping his watch each time a screen appears.

Comment

Are Garmin working on a fix???

I bought the FR610 a week ago (haven't received it yet) to replace my old 405CX, and this issue seems like a showstopper to me.

Has anyone facing this problem actually talked to customer support and found out if they're aware of the severity of this bug and/or asked them for an estimate for when a firmware fix will be available?

Comment

Originally posted by DCV2002 View Post
                            I suggest everyone read this blog entry...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/2...-in-depth.html

Notice, the 610 in the "rambling loop" test, which is probably what 99% of all of our runs are. Distance comes up short by 3+%. However, I'm sure DC isn't clicking/tapping his watch each time a screen appears.
                            The latest test looks even worse for the 610 imo...
                            http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/2...-depth_09.html

Comment

Oh snap... I guess maybe all of the people who were shouting me down because I complained about this over a month ago, might be a little quiet now.

Comment

Hello everyone.
                                I'm currently considering a forerunner 610, but am having second thoughts because of this issue. What I find puzzling is the lack of response from garmin. Do you really expect me to spend 300 EUR in a watch, just to have to tap the screen everytime I start a run or a lap? Right now current and future customers should know :

1) if the problem can be adressed by a firmware.
                                2) when will the firmware be released.

Comment

Working...
                                X