Stable firmware

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stable firmware

Hi.
    Just wondering what's considered the most stable firmware for the 935. I thought 8.0 was good, some also say 9.1 is good.
    I think the altitude never has been really good after 9.1. Any thoughts? Wondering to downgrade from 12.1.

not sure if you can. i read that after 11 you could not downgrade back to 8. maybe someone can confirm.

Comment

What problems are you having with latest stable firmware 12.10?

Comment

I have a impression that altitude readings was more stable at earlier firmwares. Also lately the battery drain has been high. I don't remember those kinds of issues earlier. Also the new firmwares don't bring anything that I use. Therefore I'm wondering to downgrade. If it's possible....

Comment

tip...downgrading that far back you should create the same environment in your watch, meaning you have to downgrade all other modules too

FW 8.0 & CIQ 2.4.1
          WiFi 2.40
          SensorHub 5.80
          GPS 4.30
          TimeZone 20.00

FW 9.10 & CIQ 2.4.4
          WiFi 2.40
          SensorHub 6.20
          GPS 4.40
          TimeZone 21.00
          Last edited by OnlyTwo; 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I have a impression that altitude readings was more stable at earlier firmwares.
            Are you having problems?

battery drain has been high.
            Have you added anything to the base device - 3rd party apps, watch faces? If so, have you turned these off to see if there is a problem with one of them increasing battery drain?

We have 12.1 on our 935s and are not seeing any problems.

Comment

my thought is that if it is not broken, then do not fix it. i have been back on 9.10 and have been very pleased with the product. i do not see any reasons for me to upgrade and maybe encounter some difficulties. why take a chance. i am sure that users have had some issues and some not. the firstbeat analytics have the same version. i do not need Galileo as i live at the beach and have no problem getting a lock. If 12.10 works, then great. if you think you have issue with it, then downgrade and see if the issues are resolved. That one thing i like about the device. You can go backward.

Comment

Originally posted by philipshambrook View Post
                Are you having problems?

Have you added anything to the base device - 3rd party apps, watch faces? If so, have you turned these off to see if there is a problem with one of them increasing battery drain?

We have 12.1 on our 935s and are not seeing any problems.
                A little hard to tell really, it seems to drift more than before. It could be to the winter in Norway also, the barometic pressure varies quite a lot now. I got a 10-15 meter difference in a only 20 minutes run the other day, same start and stop. Maybe within the normal, but also only in 20 minutes. This summer it was correct almost down to the meter in one hour activities, but again more stable weather in the summer here.
                I also notice that the altitude in standby drifts a lot more now. Could be to different algorithms in new software? It's set to auto. I'm aware that it's need to be calibrated quite often, but i have newer seen this huge drifting on altitude. And it almost always drift upwards with a 150-200 meters. If it's due to the weather it should also drift down sometimes when the pressure changes. I don't know if garmin made some changes in the firmware to how the watch is guessing if the pressure change is due to altitude or barometric change.
                It was kind of interesting to downgrade to see if it's firmware related or just the weather. It seems like there's no easy way to do this and not worth playing around with and will do some more testing.

When it comes to battery drain I took a soft reset on the watch and charged it up to see if that helps. Have some apps installed, no watch faces. The apps have been there for a year without trouble, but some of them may have been updated and cause battery drain. I will see after the soft reset, if not I will begin uninstalling apps and work from there.

I should also say that I've had this watch for a year now and are very happy with it. This are just minor issues and i'm a little picky about things

Comment

I'm guessing the temperature that your watch is exposed to has much more fluctuation in winter than summer. There is some relationship between temperature and elevation with these devices. You take yours out from a nice warm environment and it will take some time for the temperature of the device to reach ambient temperature possibly leading to the change you are seeing over a short time period.

Comment

Altitude, at least the bugs that were introduced last summer, have been completely fixed as far as I can tell. Latest fw seems perfectly good for me. One of the areas people were having problems with was swimming, but I don't swim.

Comment

Outdoor swimming is most definitely fixed. Seeing some of the best tracks and reliable distance measurements for a long while.

Comment

Outdoor swimming may be fixed for some. I generally OW swim all year round on average 3 times per week.
                        I have been losing satellite contact randomly before and after 2.30. As an example over the last 4 weeks I swam 15 times and lost satellite 6 times. Really frustrating particularly when I do extra distance and want to know how much I have done. I have tried GPS+Glonass, GPS+Galileo and GPS alone. I have one second update. BTW stable firmware with reference to Garmin is an oxymoron IMHO. I have had the watch for nearly 1.5 years now and training results always seem to vary after firmware changes. Why???

Comment

I know it's not quite the same but I've been having problems after the last upgrade so since last Nov I've have at least 1 of my 4 runs/wk with an altitude gain of anything from 16 - 72,000 ft adding itself randomly suddenly along the run. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

• philipshambrook
                            philipshambrook commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A number of reports of issues with the barometer/altimeter possibly failing. Contact Garmin support.

I have been losing satellite contact randomly before and after
                          I've been having some issues with another device and GPS in OWS. What we've found is that sometimes before starting to swim, it's possible to lose the GPS lock, despite having it before going down to the water. We've not been seeing this on my wife's 935 - she just goes down to the water, faffs around with goggles etc, then presses start and off she goes. However, if you don't already do so, it might be worthwhile making sure you have a good lock before you take your first stroke. Once you are certain, then press start and begin swimming. This is of course assuming you are swimming freestyle.

This morning's swim recorded by my wife's 935 is very typical of all her swims in recent weeks - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3299966802 - with 12.10 and GPS 2.40(?) or whatever it is. Certainly all the latest release firmware is in place.
                          Last edited by philipshambrook; Yesterday, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Of course there is a GPS lock before starting the swim. That is why I am sometimes last off the beach. I wish it was that simple. The satellite connection seems to be lost randomly at varying distances like 400m to 600m from the start of the swim.

Comment

Working...
                            X