No announcement yet.

Heart rate zone

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart rate zone

I use the %of HRR when i compute my HR zone. It asks for my resting HR. I use my average from the watch. Is that a correct assumption ? Should the watch know this value ?
    Just to be sure i am doing things correctly.
    Thanks

Resting HRT is usually advised to be measured when one wakes up, after a couple of minutes and while still rested.
    Garmin takes into account sleep time as well, which is debated by many.
    Bottom line...they don't differ much and I use Garmin's data for getting a good notion if I'm rested enough after my last training.
    I use the traditional common measurement for zone calculations (put the watch in activity mode and record the value when stabilized).
    Again, either way the numbers are so close the zones shall only differ no more than 1-3 bpm for %HRR which is mostly negligible.

Comment

In addition, your watch uses the average resting heart rate of the last 7 days in the HR zone setup.
      Facebook: MakkasCIQ
      Watchfaces: UltraSlim, X-Face, Big Piet
      Datafields: HRZMon+, TRIMP-Meter

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris View Post
        Resting HRT is usually advised to be measured when one wakes up, after a couple of minutes and while still rested.
        Garmin takes into account sleep time as well, which is debated by many.
        Well, they don't actually, but in some way do. With RHR being kinda fuzzy even in medical terms, Garmin does look at the phase close to waking up in retrospect, which is the debated issue, but accepted by most, I'd say.
        My HR drops to about 32 during the night, and while getting a min point on the graph, this number is not taken into account for my avg. RHR which is usually around 42ish, and 38 when well rested.

Pierrotsc
        You can make it a habit and schedule a daily "Other" activity that's 5 minutes long a minute after your alarm goes off. By that you only have to press Start twice, laying in bed, without even looking at the watch skewing your RHR. Keep still, and when the activity is done you look up your min HR in GCM. That way you also save quite a bit of battery because you can disable 24/7 HR.

Comment

phl0w Thanks for the answer. In your case, what value do you use ? My average RHR is 44 and my lowest is 38 during the night. I used to have a Philips watch and it would give me an average of 50 for RHR. Does it really changes the zones that bad if i pick 45, 48 or 50 ? Would it be better to pick the higher number ? I like to use % of HRR as it also uses your Vo2Max I think. When i am in anaerobic mode, sometimes, i get the no zone message. I guess i am higher than my max zone. So i am trying to find out the best way to handle that. I noticed that recovery time is mainly when you spend time during anaerobic exercise. Is my assumption correct ? I got a 4.2 score today and the watch is telling me to rest for 3 days. Sounds a little bit much though.

Comment

Accumulated fatigue, and illness can lead to a higher RHR. And I see Garmin's RHR graph as broadly reflecting how well recovered I am. Especially during a block of hard training, the RHR graph will reflect that fatigue, rather than my true RHR. For zone setting purposes, I prefer to deliberately measure my RHR directly while sitting quietly on a recovery day.

%HRR uses your RHR, and your maxHR. It does not use VO2Max. Different RHR's may affect the boundaries of your lower zones (eg. zone 1, zone 2), but will have little effect in calculating zones 4 and 5 (which will be more affected by maxHR). If you are exceeding your maxHR (as defined by the rubbish 220 minus age formula), then I would suggest turning maxHR autodetection on. This will then automatically recalculate your %HRR zones.

Comment

Originally posted by mcalista View Post
              Accumulated fatigue, and illness can lead to a higher RHR. And I see Garmin's RHR graph as broadly reflecting how well recovered I am. Especially during a block of hard training, the RHR graph will reflect that fatigue, rather than my true RHR. For zone setting purposes, I prefer to deliberately measure my RHR directly while sitting quietly on a recovery day.

%HRR uses your RHR, and your maxHR. It does not use VO2Max. Different RHR's may affect the boundaries of your lower zones (eg. zone 1, zone 2), but will have little effect in calculating zones 4 and 5 (which will be more affected by maxHR). If you are exceeding your maxHR (as defined by the rubbish 220 minus age formula), then I would suggest turning maxHR autodetection on. This will then automatically recalculate your %HRR zones.
              Thanks. Where do I turn autodetection on? In the app or on the watch? Right now, I have entered 190 as my max hr. It could be higher but it would it best if I leave the watch computes it.

Comment

right now, i have my max hr set at 190. i can push to 175 on the elliptical and i can still talk. so not sure what max is. the thing is that i use the %hrr and when i am at 173, the watch says no zone i think. i do not have my glasses I just know that the arrow is past the red. I thought that the maximum limit would be 190. am i wrong ?

Comment

Pierrotsc Are you using the oHRM or a chest/arm strap? The oHRM can have inflated readings. If you're talking/conversing at 175 bpm, most would say you're in your moderate zone anywhere from 55-80% of your Max HR. Let's just say the 175 is your 80%. This puts your Max HR at 219. You know your body better than anyone else. Does this sound correct to you?
                  Last edited by TMK17; 12-22-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

TMK17 When doing intensive workout, I use the chest strap at the gym. same thing when i do strength training. Although i get good results with the oHRM, I do not trust his accuracy when i push hard. I really like the HRM-tri. I agree with your formula but my question was about the zone on the watch. They do not match the zones on the app it looks like. If i have 190 as my max HR and that is 100%, why does the watch shows no zone when i reached 175. The arrow goes pass the red line. Should zone 5 on the watch ends at 190 ? i am still using 9.10 so it could be a bug there.

Comment

Make sure your zones are set the same on the watch, in Garmin Connect and Garmin Connect Mobile. If they are not, one will override the other and keep changing your zones.

Comment

i can push to 175 on the elliptical and i can still talk. so not sure what max is.
                        If you can still talk you are probably not at max HR ;-)

Note also that since you are not supporting your body weight like you would when running, you are unlikely to get a max HR that you could use to create running zones. As TMK17 notes, make sure the zones are correct at each of the locations. I always set mine on GC on the interweb and synch down from there to the device and GCM.
                        Zones based on talking:
                        Z1- easy to talk with no problems at all.
                        Z2 - slightly breathless, long sentences.
                        Z3 - breathless shortened sentences.
                        Z4 - Two or three words at most at a time.
                        Z5 - Can't talk. Just want to die!

Comment

Originally posted by Pierrotsc View Post
                          phl0w Thanks for the answer. In your case, what value do you use ? My average RHR is 44 and my lowest is 38 during the night. I used to have a Philips watch and it would give me an average of 50 for RHR. Does it really changes the zones that bad if i pick 45, 48 or 50 ? Would it be better to pick the higher number ? I like to use % of HRR as it also uses your Vo2Max I think. When i am in anaerobic mode, sometimes, i get the no zone message. I guess i am higher than my max zone. So i am trying to find out the best way to handle that. I noticed that recovery time is mainly when you spend time during anaerobic exercise. Is my assumption correct ? I got a 4.2 score today and the watch is telling me to rest for 3 days. Sounds a little bit much though.
                          I don't know, I leave max, and rhr empty, and let the watch set whatever it comes up with. Since I train by LTHR I don't care about maxHR, and only observe RHR in combination with HRV Stress to gauge recovery or general well-being.
                          Regarding recovery time: No, it's not necessarily based on anaerobic. After a 10mile tempo run my watch would also advise to rest for ~60 hours, and a tempo run is not an anaerobic exercise. The recovery feature doesn't want you to rest as in do nothing. It's just a ballpark estimation until your body is ready for another quality session (intervals, tempo, reps, long run, race). You can still do easy maintenance runs (2-3 TE, or in the low 3s if you feel particularly well).
                          Since you seem fit enough to complete a workout that puts you above 4.0TE, I suggest doing a 30-min lactate threshold test (or Garmin's built-in but it needs a maxHR ballpark to pace you) , and set your zones based on LT in GC.
                          Last edited by phl0w; 12-23-2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X