Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotify - are you nuts?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spotify - are you nuts?

    came to start my run today and when connecting the headphones to a playlist i got the following message:
    "Content expired
    update your downloads to continue offline use"

    i realize Spotify needs to check that i still have a subscription - but the user-experience implemented is CRAZY !
    i get this as a surprise at the most critical time when i come to start my run??!!!?!!?!?!?!
    also i tried to "update" via my cell phone personal hot-spot but as i had less than 50% battery it could not connect

    couldn't they think of a better user experience? - like proactively checking this in advance?
    like after 20 days when at home with the WiFi in range? transparently...
    And they say this is the best streaming service :-((

  • #2
    Do you really think Spotify knows when you start a run, or when you're at home within wi-fi range?

    Comment


    • #3
      No Spotify doesn't know that by Garmin can expose an API where all content providers (such as Spotify or Deezer) register the expected expiration date of their content. Then Garmin CIQ can periodically manage those expiration dates in the background and notify the user let's say a week before expiration and then again maybe a day or two before. Even better, they could expose a setting where the user can set the reminder (1 day before or whatnot) so that they have enough time to update the content.

      I agree with talsarfaty that only catching this right before a run is poor UX design.

      Licence expiration is a well known limitation of offline storage and Garmin (not Spotifiy) can very easily provide a better UX.

      Comment


      • #4
        The impression that I got from DCR's articles is that it's the service that writes the CIQ app and not Garmin.

        Just quickly checking the CIQ store it does list Spotify as the developer so that ball is in their court.

        Comment


        • #5
          Your feedback has been heard and we will use this to hopefully improve the experience for all of our customers moving forward, although I cannot guarantee any changes at this time. Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor.

          In this instance, if the device had been connected to a charger recently, it would have searched for any available wifi networks, and if found, would have updated this library from Spotify. On a related note, the inability to sync when below 50% is by design as syncing through wifi takes quite a bit of battery and we have chosen to limit syncing when not connected to power for devices that are closer to a full charge. We apologize for any inconvenience these design choices have made and have heard your complaints.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Garmin-Blake View Post
            Your feedback has been heard and we will use this to hopefully improve the experience for all of our customers moving forward, although I cannot guarantee any changes at this time. Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor.

            In this instance, if the device had been connected to a charger recently, it would have searched for any available WiFi networks, and if found, would have updated this library from Spotify. On a related note, the inability to sync when below 50% is by design as syncing through WiFi takes quite a bit of battery and we have chosen to limit syncing when not connected to power for devices that are closer to a full charge. We apologize for any inconvenience these design choices have made and have heard your complaints.
            Thank you for the intention to take this forward !
            But you have one BIG mistake in what you wrote...

            The device was connected to a charger one day before and did not update.
            It is actually connected to a charger every ~5 days and the WiFi is all over...
            Just as proof for this, is that after the "incident" i connected it to the same charger with the same Wifi around and only when i manually selected update download it updated.
            So it does not happen automatically and this is exactly the issue that needs fixing to improve the UX.

            BTW just in case it is complicated to update automatically in advance, it can minimize the problem if the user gets a notification in advance (e.g. via the mobile app)

            Comment


            • #7
              talsarfaty I agree that you should get some kind of heads up to notify you that you need to update, but as Garmin-Blake also stated, "Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor." This is something you need to take up with Spotify so they can implement this feature in their app. Garmin can't modify their app.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TMK17 View Post
                talsarfaty I agree that you should get some kind of heads up to notify you that you need to update, but as Garmin-Blake also stated, "Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor." This is something you need to take up with Spotify so they can implement this feature in their app. Garmin can't modify their app.
                Garmin-Blake also wrote:
                "Your feedback has been heard and we will use this to hopefully improve the experience for all of our customers moving forward"
                So they might be able to make it happen. maybe work it out with Spotify and maybe provide them an API etc.
                Let's not make assumptions here please, as we do not have the full picture regarding the implementation and the provided API.

                There is good will to solve a real problem here - let's leave it for Garmin to figure it out and update us what can or can not be done.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by talsarfaty View Post
                  Let's not make assumptions here please, as we do not have the full picture regarding the implementation and the provided API.
                  I didn't make any assumptions. I'm trying to assist you by saying you should contact Spotify, but you have the right to interpret it anyway you want. The statement, "Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor.", tells you that you don't need a full picture for anyone to say Garmin can't go and change a developers app. Garmin and Spotify came to an agreement on what the Spotify app will provide on Garmin devices. Yes, Garmin (as well as you) can request that Spotify add this feature to their app (and it sounds as if Garmin-Blake will pass this request on through the proper channels), but Garmin just can't modify Spotify's app without permission. Go to the Connect IQ store, select the Spotify app and go to the "privacy policy" listed on the right. You can allow, or you can grant Spotify permission to share your information. Garmin can't access your personal information, therefore they have no idea when your content expires and can't give you any early notification.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TMK17 View Post

                    I didn't make any assumptions. I'm trying to assist you by saying you should contact Spotify, but you have the right to interpret it anyway you want. The statement, "Garmin does not have unlimited control over the experience of an app that is from a third party vendor.", tells you that you don't need a full picture for anyone to say Garmin can't go and change a developers app. Garmin and Spotify came to an agreement on what the Spotify app will provide on Garmin devices. Yes, Garmin (as well as you) can request that Spotify add this feature to their app (and it sounds as if Garmin-Blake will pass this request on through the proper channels), but Garmin just can't modify Spotify's app without permission. Go to the Connect IQ store, select the Spotify app and go to the "privacy policy" listed on the right. You can allow, or you can grant Spotify permission to share your information. Garmin can't access your personal information, therefore they have no idea when your content expires and can't give you any early notification.
                    Of course "Garmin can't modify Spotify's app without permission.". It goes without saying...
                    But the issue may be due to a missing API that Garmin does not expose for the App developers...
                    Also Spotify is not just an App, it is a strategic App for Garmin and one of the biggest values of the music watches.
                    And Garmin has a better position than i have in a discussion with Spotify :-)

                    This is a redundant argument - so PLEASE let's leave it for Garmin to check (as promised) what can be done and update us
                    Last edited by talsarfaty; 12-07-2018, 02:58 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      talsarfaty I have confirmed that the update 4.00 brought in the functionality of automatically updating libraries when connected to a charger. Just for good measure I tested this again on my own 645M, and it automatically started updating both of my libraries since it was within range of a known wifi network. I'm not discounting your experience which has not gone this way, I just wanted to let you know that your device appears to be functioning in a way that is ignoring recent design changes.If this issue is still occurring with the latest 4.20 software update (depending on region of device) then we will need to escalate this experience.

                      I will send you a PM to request more information to help us escalate your issue. My apologies for the inconvenience.
                      Last edited by Garmin-Blake; 12-07-2018, 07:58 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by talsarfaty View Post

                        Thank you for the intention to take this forward !
                        But you have one BIG mistake in what you wrote...

                        The device was connected to a charger one day before and did not update.
                        It is actually connected to a charger every ~5 days and the WiFi is all over...
                        Just as proof for this, is that after the "incident" i connected it to the same charger with the same Wifi around and only when i manually selected update download it updated.
                        So it does not happen automatically and this is exactly the issue that needs fixing to improve the UX.

                        BTW just in case it is complicated to update automatically in advance, it can minimize the problem if the user gets a notification in advance (e.g. via the mobile app)
                        Hi, auto update was announced with firmware 4.0, but for me it started functioning only after update to firmware 4.2. Suggest you to check whether you have latest firmware in your watch. And I’m using Deezer, but this shouldn’t make any difference.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X