Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature Request: Option to activate Wrist HRM only during workouts (activities)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hernan.russy
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/
    This is Garmin's official link for feature request. Sometimes they are implemented. Garmin doesn't use these forums for request and this is how you'll be heard. Best of luck.
    ??????For every other forum user. If you don't agree with IBeOnIt please refrain from posting your opinion so as to not upset him.
    For any forum moderator who comes across this post, please close it. The OP has been informed how to request additional features and apparently there are individuals who don't understand what an open forum is, or know how to correspond with others who have opposing opinions. It's reached the point of being nonsense. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by TMK17 View Post
      hernan.russy
      This is Garmin's official link for feature request. Sometimes they are implemented. Garmin doesn't use these forums for request and this is how you'll be heard. Best of luck.
      ??????For every other forum user. If you don't agree with IBeOnIt please refrain from posting your opinion so as to not upset him.
      For any forum moderator who comes across this post, please close it. The OP has been informed how to request additional features and apparently there are individuals who don't understand what an open forum is, or know how to correspond with others who have opposing opinions. It's reached the point of being nonsense. Thank you in advance.
      Then this is not an open form if you can request to close it when you feel like it. Another hypocritical statement. This was to point out that a feature is BROKEN not available. If Garmin says Auto then it must mean something different than ON. Thank you for NOT answering my logical question because it would have went nowhere.

Comment

For reference 'auto' means on unless an external HR is connected and off means off.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdwazda View Post
          For reference 'auto' means on unless an external HR is connected and off means off.
          Ok, can you point me to the reference please?

Comment

I see that someone said that in a post but it's not officially documented by Garmin. In the settings of the app it stats, turn HR On or OFF. It does not give any info of what AUTO does. We can assume that's what it does but I've never seen any Garmin devices that doesn't turn off the oHRM when an external one is detected. Either way, it seems that Garmin doesn't feel it's necessary to have the HR on for particular times. This post went out of topic a long time ago because people wanted to say why they did or didn't like the oHRM. I only wanted to know why something that could still make the HR useful for Move IQ activities was on some devices of lesser value but not on an expensive device. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by IBeOnIt View Post
              If you notice in the settings for the 645, you only get two options. Off and AUTO. Well that's stupid because AUTO = ON. So it could be possible that this feature is Broken.
              No, I don't think it's broken.

Ok, can you point me to the reference please?
              https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner645/EN-US/GUID-358696A6-F98D-4772-8507-AF73499DB129.html

Turning Off the Wrist Heart Rate Monitor

The default value for the Wrist Heart Rate setting is Auto. The device automatically uses the wrist-based heart rate monitor unless you pair an ANT+® heart rate monitor to the device.
              1. From the heart rate widget, hold UP.
              2. Select Options > Status > Off.

There is no AUTO function. All it does is turn the oHRM on. So it should be called ON not AUTO.
              The nomenclature is entirely consistent with that on the FR235, FR735XT and FR935. You're welcome to your own opinion, but I expect you to at least acknowledge that your fellow users have every right to and every reason to just accept Garmin's choice of terms in the settings and therefore either expressly disagree with your claim, or just ignore it as noise.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post

No, I don't think it's broken.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner645/EN-US/GUID-358696A6-F98D-4772-8507-AF73499DB129.html

Turning Off the Wrist Heart Rate Monitor

The default value for the Wrist Heart Rate setting is Auto. The device automatically uses the wrist-based heart rate monitor unless you pair an ANT+® heart rate monitor to the device.
                1. From the heart rate widget, hold UP.
                2. Select Options > Status > Off.

The nomenclature is entirely consistent with that on the FR235, FR735XT and FR935. You're welcome to your own opinion, but I expect you to at least acknowledge that your fellow users have every right to and every reason to just accept Garmin's choice of terms in the settings and therefore either expressly disagree with your claim, or just ignore it as noise.
                I have no problem admitting my mistake if facts are brought to the table. Which you did bring and I appreciate that. It doesn't excuse the fact that people in this forum forcefully gave their opinion just to counter the point of this topic which was another topic in itself. If the first Master would have done what you had and not give his side bar comments, then maybe this would have been rectified a long time ago. My only argument was that this feature was on other products (possibly for the reason of battery life assistance) and if so, why couldn't the same feature be given as an option? It is not asking Garmin to do anything that haven't done before and it provides good functionality to people who just don't need 24/7 HR activity and only want it for specific activities like Move IQ. The AUTO portion confuses people, like myself into thinking it does something similar to other products but not being the case. Like I stated, I have never seen a Garmin devices with a oHRM that doesn't automatically connect to an EXT sensor as long as it's parred. Either way, I appreciate the correction. Your title is well received.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that my assumption isn't from my opinion. The VivoMove HR has an Elevate HR sensor and provides this functionality. You can turn it off, but it will come on if triggered by Move IQ. I'm not seeing any difference in the HW or Features so maybe it's just something Garmin didn't think was necessary but for people to tell me I am asking for additional features is a flat out lie. So please try to understand my frustration.

Comment

Garmin didn't think was necessary but for people to tell me I am asking for additional features is a flat out lie. So please try to understand my frustration.
                    Look. I'm not trying to get in any pissing match with you, but I don't understand your frustration. To add a feature that doesn't exist on your watch is adding an additional feature. The word "additional", by definition is "added, extra, or supplementary to what is already present or available." The 645 doesn't currently have this feature. Nor does it have the feature to manually calibrate your altimeter. If these features were implemented on the 645, they would be additional features added to your device. Just because other cheaper Garmin devices have it doesn't mean it wouldn't be an additional feature by adding it to the 645. Your 645 and the VA3 cost less than my 935. They both have Garmin Pay. Adding Garmin Pay to my 935 would be adding an additional feature. I've posted the link for feature request to Garmin. Use that and perhaps they will grant it. People requested canned text responses for the 935. It was recently granted by Garmin adding an additional feature to my 935, which other cheaper Garmin devices already have. That's all I'm saying. If you still don't understand, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Look. I'm not trying to get in any pissing match with you, but I don't understand your frustration. To add a feature that doesn't exist on your watch is adding an additional feature. The word "additional", by definition is "added, extra, or supplementary to what is already present or available." The 645 doesn't currently have this feature. Nor does it have the feature to manually calibrate your altimeter. If these features were implemented on the 645, they would be additional features added to your device. Just because other cheaper Garmin devices have it doesn't mean it wouldn't be an additional feature by adding it to the 645. Your 645 and the VA3 cost less than my 935. They both have Garmin Pay. Adding Garmin Pay to my 935 would be adding an additional feature. I've posted the link for feature request to Garmin. Use that and perhaps they will grant it. People requested canned text responses for the 935. It was recently granted by Garmin adding an additional feature to my 935, which other cheaper Garmin devices already have. That's all I'm saying. If you still don't understand, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
                      I'm sorry but you are trying to get in a pissing match. Adding NFC to a device that does not have NFC is adding additional Hardware. So that correlation doesn't make any sense. We are talking about a software change. The Vivo Move HR has the same Elevate HR sensor as the 645. It also has Move IQ just as the 645. This would require changing the software to allow the same Move IQ setting to which there is no Move IQ setting on the 645 except on and off. Unless you are telling me that they are using two different Move IQ software then what we have is an option that has been removed. I will take the advice and request that they enable that option. If you are arguing semantics then fine, they would need to TURN ON a feature. You could have easily responded in an non-emotional manner and I would have received your comment as such. You also took sides and did not correct the other people who were obviously giving their opinion on a different subject where I was quoting facts about the original subject. Food for thought for the next time. Thanks. I hope this can move forward now.

Comment

IBeOnIt I don't know why you'd think I'm starting a pissing match? I posted my opinion, not taking anyone's side; in post #23. I didn't belittle, insult, or insinuate anything. I don't know how you took that post, but you became defensive in post #24. To say I responded in an emotional manner is the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you agree? I'm not putting blame on you. We both could and should have acted better. Anyway, as you suggested, let's move on. Just some advise should you decide to use the Garmin request site. Request it, then request it again and again. I've done this with two request for the 935 and they were eventually added. I'd like to believe it was because they were tired of hearing from me. I'm currently hounding them to let us edit and add our own exercises in GCM for the strength app. Best of luck.
                        Last edited by TMK17; 08-10-2018, 01:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

IBeOnIt I don't know why you'd think I'm starting a pissing match? I posted my opinion, not taking anyone's side; in post #23. I didn't belittle, insult, or insinuate anything. I don't know how you took that post, but you became defensive in post #24. To say I responded in an emotional manner is the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you agree? I'm not putting blame on you. We both could and should have acted better. Anyway, as you suggested, let's move on. Just some advise should you decide to use the Garmin request site. Request it, then request it again and again. I've done this with two request for the 935 and they were eventually added. I'd like to believe it was because they were tired of hearing from me. I'm currently hounding them to let us edit and add our own exercises in GCM for the strength app. Best of luck.
                          I agree. I believe with all of the crazy responses that I was receiving it is possible I misconstrued yours as adding to the craziness.I did not feel as if I was whining but defending my case versus the other comments that made no sense to the topic. At the end of the day, I want to commend Garmin on the efforts that they put into a product but also let them know that some features they may not have felt were important are to some people, including myself. Hopefully we can get them to address this and put it back into the product line. I have yet seen the benefits of 24/7 tracking (in the way Garmin does it) but using it for sleeping and smaller activities that people don't think of tracking prove valid, to me at least lol. Thanks and I appreciate the response.

Comment

hernan.russy
                            Thanks so much for the suggestion. Will do!

Comment

Working...
                            X