Headphone test and experience

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got rid of the Sonys and now using JBL which are fantastic. Stable when running and flawless connection on left wrist:
    Headphone model Left wrist working Tested with FW Comments Link
    JBL Endurance Sprint Yes 4.0 Works fine indoor and outdoor on left wrist https://www.jbl.com/endurance-headphones-series/JBL+Endurance+SPRINT.html

Comment

I used a new Forerunner 645M running 4.0 firmware today with my Trekz Air and with the watch on my left hand it was an exercise in futility. I had to hold my hand all the way up to get a decent signal.

The combo is listed as great in the op, so I'm wondering if the issue is a hardware one with the unit I got. Any ideas?

Comment

Trekz Air is also listed as approved on the Garmin list somewhere, plus they're the ones I'm considering getting :-(. Is this running outside? Does it work acceptably with watch on right wrist or under other situations (not that I want to put the watch on my right wrist, just asking)? Are you also using an external heart rate monitor when you run?

Comment

For those using Plantronics Backbeat, does your pairing show up as 'Plantronics' or 'Amazonbasics' ? Still can't get mine to pair.

Comment

Originally posted by robm View Post
            Trekz Air is also listed as approved on the Garmin list somewhere, plus they're the ones I'm considering getting :-(. Is this running outside? Does it work acceptably with watch on right wrist or under other situations (not that I want to put the watch on my right wrist, just asking)? Are you also using an external heart rate monitor when you run?
            Yes, it was an outside run.

Seemed fine on the right wrist but there were still occasional drop offs when I extended my arm straight down. Manageable though compared to the left wrist.

I was using an HRM-Tri yes.

Comment

Jaybird X4 No 4.0 Used it in active setup. Unbearable, connection keeps dropping. https://www.jaybirdsport.com/en-us/x4-wireless-sport-headphones.html#985-000808

Comment

It is really disappointing that 645M does not work with such popular headphones as the Jaybird X4's. As I see from this thread, the 645M has significant hardware interoperability problems with multiple headsets. It is hard to understand how a company can put out a product without what is seems some basic interop testing. I hope Garmin fix this soon or start giving the additional 50euros for the music model back to their customers since the feature is useless... who cares about upcoming Spotify support when audio doesn't work!

Comment

Jabra Sport Pace Yes 4.0 Works perfectly in all conditions, have run outside in poor weather, good weather, for hours on end and not a single drop out when wearing watch on left wrist, despite bluetooth being on the right. Awesome, and good sound too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabra-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Fitness-Red/dp/B015JAURX0

Comment

Here's my experience with the Jaybird X3!
                    Jaybird X3 YES - indoor
                    YES - outdoor
                    4.00 Tested with the "regular" fit (controls on the right side) and FR 645M on my left wrist. I already run 10Km twice (both outdoor runs using GPS + GALILEO) and not a single cut during the workout. I was listening to a Spotify playlist and audio cues. https://www.jaybirdsport.com/

Comment

• Headphone model Left wrist working Tested with FW Comments Link
                      Apple Airpods Yes 4.0 No drop outs running indoor or outdoor, with arms/hands in normal running posture (outdoor: dropped out with hands at sides walking or hands behind hips stretching; indoor was perfect). During 1+ hour run outdoor by buildings but also in open areas: only experienced slight, occasional stuttering/static... maybe once every other song lasting milliseconds, so counting this as a YES; let's say better than satellite radio reception in my car going under a bridge. Also, as previously posted, had watch on left wrist AND synced to left Airpod, since either left or right can be the master.
                      Last edited by HeyInKy; 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Jlabs JBuds Air Yes 4.10 No dropout issues with either wrist indoor as well as outdoor. I can have my arm lowered, etc. I have two issues with these that may prevent these from being my everyday pair for my garmin: 1) EQ mode toggling does not work with garmin (does on iPhone) and I'm not entirely happy with the sound quality. 2) The volume control increments from the headphones are too coarse. From the watch is fine, but I prefer using the headphones.

Comment

• The aftershockz do work well left or right until The weather cools, they drop out with any type or thickness material to cover your ears when worn on left wrist, still works fine on right wrist.

Comment

Audio-Technica ATH-SPORT7TW NO 4.2 Works fine indoor. Outdoor with right wrist only. Right wrist connection is solid and the sound is amazing (a bit more bass heavy than ATH-50Mx). Really secure fit and light to wear despite the bulky look. Doesn't feel bulky at all and comfortable to wear even longer periods of times. Touch navigation takes a bit getting used to with left headphone to control volume and right one to pause/play/skip track. No sound at first even though I got a connection but rebooted FR645M and then it worked fine after that. https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/h...3ac/index.html

Comment

Working...
                            X