Garmin Express for Mac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Express for Mac

I would like to point out that the above link to Garmin Express Fit (Garmin Express Fit
    https://connect.garmin.com/help/start/Forerunner620-220) does not actually lead you to download the proper Garmin Express Fit application for Mac. It downloads the Garmin Express application, but that application (last updated May 2013) does not properly configure the wifi for the Forerunner 620. While the Garmin Express application can see the wifi networks and seemingly "save" the selected wifi networks to my Forerunner 620, the settings never stick. My Forerunner 620 was not able to connect to my home wifi; the watch kept saying that it was not yet configured.

I ran into this trouble yesterday when I received my brand new Forerunner 620. After probably about 45 minutes of mucking around, I realized the application I was using (downloaded from that link) was the Garmin Express, and not Garmin Express Fit. So I went to Google and searched for the appropriate application and found the one that I needed to configure the 620's wifi settings. Here is the link I found: http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=6743.

I hope this message saves other Mac users from wasting their time with the Garmin Express application.

Garmin Express for Mac was last updated in May 2013.
    Garmin Express fit for Mac was last updated in October 2013.

Garmin Support confirms that they have the wrong link on that webpage.

This is what they wrote to me on 12 Feb 2014:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International and glad to assist you with this.

You are correct about the wrong product being there on the getting started link in Garmin Connect. The web design team will be making the change to Express Fit within the next few days. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

With Best Regards,

Bill

Customer Care - Fitness Team
    Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Bill 6068

www.garmin.com

Comment

It seems https://connect.garmin.com/help/start/Forerunner620-220 now has links to "Garmin Express" which is the new software to replace "Garmin Express Fit". It seems the page still incorrectly mentions "Fit" however.

I have successfully installed the PC version and got it working with my 620. Can a Mac user please confirm it works OK for you as well and then we can tidy up these posts.

Cheers
      Tim

Comment

Nope. That version doesn't work properly for configuring the wifi on the Forerunner 620. The other functions seem to be fine. It's the Garmin Express Fit for Mac which is able to properly configure the 620; at least for now.

Here's another oddity: Throughout Garmin's website, there are different versions of the "latest" Garmin Express for Mac. Sometimes when I download I get a 2.5.3 version, sometimes a 2.4.4, depending on if you're downloading from their "OS X consolidated software webpage" or model specific webpage such as "Forerunner 620" or some other areas. etc. What a mess.

I'd also like to mention that the latest version of Garmin Express (Mac version) that I can find is version 2.5.3 and that was last updated in March/May 2013.
        The latest version of Garmin Express Fit (Mac version) that I can find is version 2.0 and that was last updated October 2013. So, unless I'm not finding the latest Garmin Express for Mac version, the Express Fit version supersedes the Express version, at least when it comes to the 620.

Yeah...it's a mess.
        Last edited by MurielGH; 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by TIMGROSE View Post
          It seems https://connect.garmin.com/help/start/Forerunner620-220 now has links to "Garmin Express" which is the new software to replace "Garmin Express Fit". It seems the page still incorrectly mentions "Fit" however.

I have successfully installed the PC version and got it working with my 620. Can a Mac user please confirm it works OK for you as well and then we can tidy up these posts.

Cheers
          Tim
          I having no luck with Garmin Express on Mac. Im using Mavericks OSX.

WiFi can be configured in the APP, but nothing appears to be transferred to the 620 (still says it needs to be configured on Garmin Express).
          Updates will "hang" forever (same with synchronizations), but appears to be complete or at least transferred to the watch where it can be installed.

Also the text "Device information" in the GUI hidden behind "Help & guides/tutorials". Im using danish language, so I'm not sure if the text is precisely translated.

But Garmin Express Fit can setup WiFi on a Mac.

Comment

Apparently "Mac v2.5.4 was released yesterday (17th Feb) to resolve the issue."

Please confirm if it now works OK?

Comment

Could you paste the link?

Comment

Not entirely sure but presume either
                http://connect.garmin.com/help/start/Forerunner620-220
                or
                http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Comment

Thanks. I'll check this out at home. When I went to the Mac OS X software section of the website, it downloaded version 2.4.4 (!!!). Luckily, the software was able to update itself to 2.5.4. I say luckily, because with the 2.5.3 version at home, that software had not been able to check for updates at least in the past few days.

It seems to me that there are way too many Garmin pages with links trying to point to the the same thing. Maybe this results in them having to manually relink items every time something gets updated? Surely there must be a more automated way to do this!

Comment

Okay, so version 2.5.4 of Garmin Express does seem to work in managing wifi. I haven't done a complete testing but at work, I added my company's wifi to the managed network list and then requested my 620 to sync through wifi. It seems to work, though I didn't have any actual file data to transfer; I just ran last night and synced using my home's wifi.

Comment

For some reason i seem to get network error again, even though i haven't changed anything on my router.

A couple of things.

I had it updated few days ago version 2.5.4 (83).

It seemed possible to transfer Wifi connections. But the GUI was even more buggy than before when navigating.
                      For example i tried to add a Wifi network 3 times, but nothing seemed to happen.
                      Then i went to "manage networks" to try a fourth time and then the network i tried to add appeared 3 times.

I couldn't scroll all the way to the bottom under "device" and pretty much everything that could be clicked on didn't respond most of the times, and sometimes it did. It's hard to tell if it's was lag or something else.
                      For me that version was working worse than the previous one, except that adding WiFi network was possible with a little work.

Then garmin express announced there was a new update. I installed it, but the program was reading device information forever and never launched.

So i uninstalled it and tried to find a new installer, which appears not to be as easy as one would think.
                      The only one i can find is this:
                      http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html , but that is version 2.4.4 (79) and won't launch either.
                      But it prompts for an update which installs version 3.0.2 (0).

But I'm stuck with the same problem, the program won't launch but is reading device information forever.

Im using MAC with OSX Mavericks 10.9.1.

Update: After reinstalling Garmin Express from the link below, things appear to work MUCH better.
                      GUI is fixed and it looks like it works as it is supposed to, but there is still a lot of visual improvements to be made..

I still get a network error when connecting to WiFi, but thats is luckily not connected to the garmin express.

http://connect.garmin.com/en-US/start
                      Last edited by Tem_VB; 02-22-2014, 05:16 AM.

Comment

I downloaded the latest Garmin Express and added my network, but when i press the connect-button on my watch nothing seems to happen. What, if anything, am i doing wrong?

Comment

Garmin Express for Mac

Probably my own fault but we are getting lots of messages about Garmin Express for Mac in the Useful Links thread which isn't really a "Useful place" for them so moving here...

Comment

Originally posted by AADNEGABRIELSEN@GMAIL.COM View Post
                            I downloaded the latest Garmin Express and added my network, but when i press the connect-button on my watch nothing seems to happen. What, if anything, am i doing wrong?
                            What does it say on your watch?

Comment

Having nightmares with my 620 and GC.

Had once downloaded my programme into 620 seemingly without issue, updated some of my workouts but can no longer update my 620 to reflect changes, won't update at all tbh.

Have tried, deleting all .fit files from Schedule, restored 620, uninstalled Express and returned to Express Fit, deleted workouts from calendar to try and return them one at a time all without joy... actually don't even think transfers are taking place now.

Training Calendar on 620 still says "download you TC from GC" and Express fit says "synced" but no files to sync... could cry, and climbing the walls with this!!

Comment

Working...
                              X