Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Galaxy s3

Hi Garmin,

I just purchased the new 620. Two question - Can the watch be paired with a Samsung Galaxy S3? When will the updated Android Garmin Connect app be released?

Thanks,
    Greg

S3

I'm wondering about this too. The bluetooth feature was a big part of my decision to upgrade.

Comment

The app only works with an iPhone at present. I think I read in DC RainMaker's review that this more to do with the Bluetooth Low Energy standard that the 620 (and 220) uses only just coming out for Android devices whereas it has existed since iPhone 4S (so couple of years) with iPhones.

The Edge devices must use a different (older?) Bluetooth standard so they are already covered in the Android app version. I guess they are much "bigger" devices and aren't so constrained by "low energy" requirements.

Comment

s4 has Bluetooth 4.0

Well, that seems silly that Garmin would alienate such a large user base (larger than iOS). I did some digging and the s3 does support BLE - http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/specifications.html.. I can find the device using 3rd party Bluetooth Scanners (Smart Scanner), but I cannot pair it.

Hopefully, Garmin will have an unofficial position on what devices support livetracking/Garmin Connect and which ones will in the future...

Comment

Android version coming Q1 2014

In order for the 620/220 to pair with your Android phone, it must meet these requirements:
          • Android Jelly Bean 4.3 Operating Software
          • Bluetooth 4.0 LE
          • Updated Connect Mobile app, coming in Q1 2014

Comment

Originally posted by FENNELLR View Post
            In order for the 620/220 to pair with your Android phone, it must meet these requirements:
            • Android Jelly Bean 4.3 Operating Software
            • Bluetooth 4.0 LE
            • Updated Connect Mobile app, coming in Q1 2014
            WOW! NO connect mobile app update until 2014???? That stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by FENNELLR View Post
              [*]Updated Connect Mobile app, coming in Q1 2014[*][/LIST]
              5 KM -> 18:51 Min.
              10 KM > 37:53 Min.
              half marathon -> 1:22 h
              marathon-> 2:59 h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWMBXyeE1c

Comment

Originally posted by GCULLY View Post
                Well, that seems silly that Garmin would alienate such a large user base (larger than iOS). I did some digging and the s3 does support BLE - http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/specifications.html.. I can find the device using 3rd party Bluetooth Scanners (Smart Scanner), but I cannot pair it.
                It may be a larger user base, but it's also a very, very, VERY fractured user base.

Garmin is not the first and will not be the last to forego the headache of Android support.
                Erik J. Barzeski

Comment

Originally posted by IACAS View Post
                  It may be a larger user base, but it's also a very, very, VERY fractured user base.

Garmin is not the first and will not be the last to forego the headache of Android support.
                  Yup. Android is only now getting BTLE sorted out in a way that will work consistently across new devices running the most recent releases. I don't think I'll buy a 620 until this software is out, because letting my OH livetrack my long runs is one of the things that makes the upgrade worth while for me (but I don't want to buy an iphone just for that), but I don't think Garmin can really be blamed for their software not having features which, at best, would have only been able to support a small number of handsets and would have had to be individually coded for each of them. Fortunately that situation is ending now.

Comment

It's disappointing to me that Garmin uses the generic "smartphone" in advertising livetrack compatibility when it is only currently compatible with the iPhone. I, too, purchased this with the expectation that I would be able to use livetrack. Not sure I'll keep it at this point.

Comment

I believe the Bluetooth 4.0 LE is BY FAR the biggest problem with most Android phones that is a hardware limitation. Here is a list of supported devices.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluet...ices-List.aspx

Comment

Hi guys,
                        I just received a Garmin 220, which should be compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S3, but I can't make my phone "see" the Garmin 220...(although it works on a Nexus 4). Checked everything, bluetooth activated I'm disappointed. Any news about the Samsung Galaxy S3/Garmin 220 compatibility?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

They are targeting mid-February for the Android app, see here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...507#post249507 When that's out, you should be able to pair the watch with your phone OK.
                          As frustrating as it is having to wait, the problem's more about Bluetooth Smart support on Android being very fragmented until very recently than about Garmin dragging their heels on this.
                          So are you saying you can see the watch via Bluetooth on the Nexus 4?

Comment

I think you'll have issues with the S3 discovering any Bluetooth 4.0 device, including your 220...

http://developer.samsung.com/forum/b...=bluetooth+4.0

If Garmin are building the discovery into the Android app, then you may be OK, that's possibly just one reason why it's taken a bit longer to bring it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X