Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forerunner 405 - Dead!

Hi everyone,

I've had my 405 for about a month now and just uploaded a course for the first time, using GPSies. Five minutes after upload the watch shuts down. It won't re-charge (23% before crash) and holding down either buttons or both at the same time for 5-6 secs results in nothing.

What do I do now?

Got it working using a HARD reset

To perform a Master Reset on the Forerunner 405:

1. 1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2. 2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3. 3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4. 4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5. 5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

Be sure to not touch the Bezel when performing the reset- this may make it difficult to complete the Reset. I recommend placing your unoccupied fingers on the wrist strap.
    The tracks from GPSies seems buggy. Anyone with experience?

Comment

Forerunner 405 - Dead

I have had my watch for 4 days- it's brand new.
      I pressed the enter and quit button simultaneously for 7 seconds ( as per the manual). The screen went blank and has stayed blank. I can't turn my watch back on. I have then tried to hold the lap/reset button ( quit button) for 3 seconds with no result.

Comment

Originally posted by ANYJAY View Post
        I pressed the enter and quit button simultaneously for 7 seconds ( as per the manual). The screen went blank and has stayed blank. I can't turn my watch back on. I have then tried to hold the lap/reset button ( quit button) for 3 seconds with no result.
        What happens when you put the unit on the charging clip?
        Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

Originally posted by ANYJAY View Post
          Try looking at my steps again, seems you're forgetting to hold the lap button after holding both buttons.

Comment

Dead 405cx Screen?

My 405CX is dead. It was on the charge clip overnight. This morning, it was working, but I just noticed now that the screen is dead. I tried the Master Reset above. I use my 405CX as a watch, and for runs later. I have a 10K tomorrow! HELP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JYEWMD View Post
              My 405CX is dead. It was on the charge clip overnight. This morning, it was working, but I just noticed now that the screen is dead. I tried the Master Reset above. I use my 405CX as a watch, and for runs later. I have a 10K tomorrow! HELP!!!
              Have you tried connecting to the charging clip? Does the unit not respond to the clip at all? Here are two variations of the master reset--perhaps one may work better for you:

Prompted (you'll be asked to confirm the reset):
              Hold both mechanical buttons down until the screen goes blank. Let up on the ENTER button but keep the QUIT button depressed. You should see the prompt at that time.

Non-prompted (your unit will just be reset to factory specs):
              Reset the unit (hold both buttons until the screen blanks) then briefly release the buttons and press them both back down again.
              Wait for the unit to tone
              Release the START/STOP button and wait for a second tone.
              Once you hear the second tone, releasing the bottom button will clear the user data and restart the watch.

The second one can be a bit tricky to perform.
              Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

I got freeze screen - then it went black after first attempt of hard reset.

I have now tried both hard-resets. I get a thin line in screen - and hear the tones - but the screen continue black. It wont react to the charging clip either. Any tips?

I've been using it for 4 runs and it happened now after taking it of the cycle (for the first bike tour). I had no problem using it during cycling - and stopped it/reset the timer.

----------------

Just got answer from Service - have to return it - I've done everything possible....
                Last edited by OKRISTI2; 04-21-2010, 04:56 AM. Reason: Update service

Comment

I just got a brand new Forerunner 405. I'm getting a thin black line in the screen once the 405 goes to energy save mode, is brand new, what is happening to the device??

Comment

Originally posted by KIKOKU49 View Post
                    I just got a brand new Forerunner 405. I'm getting a thin black line in the screen once the 405 goes to energy save mode, is brand new, what is happening to the device??
                    It sounds like your power save software might be corrupted or missing. You can try updating from the web to restore it.

If your are not able to correct this issue by updating software, you should contact Garmin Support.

Comment

just followed your invaluble advice to get my 405 working again a million thanks

Comment

My 405 is dead as well

I had my 405 for 14 months only and it is completely unresponsive. You cannot update any firmware or do a master reset when the only thing that comes on the screen is a small black line if you hold the buttons down for about 10 secs. For the money I spent, being told to send it in for repair and wait weeks is unreasonable as I use this almost daily and have a marathon in a few weeks. I am a personal running coach and I have supported Garmin products, even holding training sessions on their advanced functions. Now I really question if I should be training and endorsing on another product as I honestly have had nothing but problems with my 405 since I got it!
                        Does somebody have a alternative to repair this or do I have to buy a new unit as I said before waiting weeks won't work.

Comment

Nothing but trouble

I have had nothing but trouble with my Garmin 405 since I bought it
                          initially Mac connectivity software was not available. months later , I think about 9 months - it was release.
                          more importantly, initially the battery life was pathetic, months later a firmware update fixed this.
                          practically, the touch sensitive bezel was non-functional in high humidity - try running in the summer in Chicago without humidity - this problem has been a constant and my queries to tech support were answered by "newer firmware solves this" or "we've never seen this"
                          Finally my watch has frozen periodically, usually when I take it off the charger , sometimes later - any I have successfully used the reset procedure to bring it back to life.
                          the latest insult was last night, when the watch started beeping while on the charger, a plaintive call, a squeal and then a couple beeps, then I removed the charger clip and went to sleep. when I checked the watch today - dead to the world, nothing visible on the screen, reset doesn't work, charging does nothing.
                          It's very hard for me to recommend Garmin with my experience. Very disappointing, it's a $350 watch and is dead after about 2 years

Comment

Fixed my latest problem

cleaned/scraped the 2 charging contacts on the watch - corroded or obscured by salt
                            the watch can back to life when I reattached the charged

Comment

Garmin fitness watches are essentially disposable. I personally think they should be advertised as such.

If you've gotten 14 months out of yours you've gotten 2 more months than I've ever been able to get out of one.

Throw it away and buy a new one. At one a year it's still a lot cheaper than running shoes.

Originally posted by BARKYPUP View Post
                              I had my 405 for 14 months only and it is completely unresponsive. You cannot update any firmware or do a master reset when the only thing that comes on the screen is a small black line if you hold the buttons down for about 10 secs. For the money I spent, being told to send it in for repair and wait weeks is unreasonable as I use this almost daily and have a marathon in a few weeks. I am a personal running coach and I have supported Garmin products, even holding training sessions on their advanced functions. Now I really question if I should be training and endorsing on another product as I honestly have had nothing but problems with my 405 since I got it!
                              Does somebody have a alternative to repair this or do I have to buy a new unit as I said before waiting weeks won't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X