Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Tanita BC-1000 and Forerunner 405

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanita BC-1000 and Forerunner 405

Is it the intention of Garmin to ever offer a software update that would allow the BC-1000 scale to work with the FR 405?

At this time there are no plans to incorporate any 405 version to use the Tantia scale. Only the FR 60 and the 310XT are compatible with it.

Comment

I find myself disappointed with this answer. I purchased the forerunner 405 and in the dashboard section of the garmin connect under health, they mentioned how the tanita BC-1000 can amp up the training data. Since I recently had my ascending aorta replaced (birth defect), I thought I would monitor these health issues as well as condition myself after surgery. Now I find that the 405 doesn't work well with the BC-1000 scale. I hope I can still monitor the data using the ant stick and my PC.

Comment

There is a new product on the market that you may be interested in, the Withings Body Scale which is almost half the price of the Tanita and uploads wirelessly to a web site (so you can check on your iPhone, etc).

Review of the scale here.

I would imagine garmin connect can easily share data since they have an open API to access the data. They might actually be working on it now.
        I train with SportTracks.

Comment

Originally posted by TENOR77 View Post
          At this time there are no plans to incorporate any 405 version to use the Tantia scale. Only the FR 60 and the 310XT are compatible with it.
          Very disappointing. Tanita has lost another customer.

Comment

I too was very disappointed to find out my 405CX won't work with the BC-1000. Wish I had read this thread before I bought it (the 405). Had I known, I would've gone with the 310xt. I was torn between the two anyway.

I like the BC-1000, but the Healthy Edge software doesn't seem suited to Windows 7, and it would really nice to have that data on my Garmin Connect account.

Comment

Originally posted by WATCHMERUN View Post
              There is a new product on the market that you may be interested in, the Withings Body Scale which is almost half the price of the Tanita and uploads wirelessly to a web site (so you can check on your iPhone, etc).

Review of the scale here.

I would imagine garmin connect can easily share data since they have an open API to access the data. They might actually be working on it now.
              Wow! That is a cool scale. I never new about these gadgets. I'm going to look more into this and possibly get one!!

I'm sorry but I just went through Tanita's website and nowhere does it say anything about it working with the 405. It's crystal clear, not vague at all. This is what it says it can mate with "Garmin FR60, FR60LTD or Forerunner 310XT fitness watch". I don't know why people would assume it would work with devices not listed on their website.
              Last edited by thumpertwin; 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THUMPERTWIN View Post
                I'm sorry but I just went through Tanita's website and nowhere does it say anything about it working with the 405. It's crystal clear, not vague at all. This is what it says it can mate with "Garmin FR60, FR60LTD or Forerunner 310XT fitness watch". I don't know why people would assume it would work with devices not listed on their website.
                I guess the expectation is that if all these devices use Ant+, why wouldn't Garmin incorporate the feature into previous devices, especially the 405/405cx. To me, offering updates like that makes a company great.

Comment

Tanita

I just bought the Tanita BC-1000 assuming it was compatible with Garmin connect somehow. Clearly that isn't that case. What a waste of time.

Why bother putting a "health" tab up on my garmin connect page when I can't even use it. Very misleading and a complete waste of time

Comment

The same as you rick_stone, I was quite sure that the BC-1000 was compatible with garmin connect

I was aware that 405 was not compatible with BC-1000. I thought that FR60 and 305 could be used as display screen as BC-1000 doesn't have display screen

But I assumed that through ANT+ the BC-1000 could directly send data to Garmin Connect...

It wasn't the case and still isn't the case. I hope Garmin Developpers will work on a patch that allows Garmin Connect to receive data directly from the BC-1000.

Last comment to Garmin, could you please be clear on Garmin Connect Site and mention that BC-1000 is compatible only for 305 and FR60 watch's owner... And that all other watches owner cannot upload data of BC-1000 to Garmin Connect, even manually...

Perhaps it would avoid a lot of frustration...
                    Last edited by EUSKARAZ; 07-01-2010, 01:28 AM.

Comment

A couple easy fixes

This is really stupidly simple to remedy without making your customer spend tons of extra money.

1) (Easiest) Allow manual entry of all 9 metrics on the Health page at Garmin Connect. (How easy is that???) Then we could at least use the PC software to get the data, then enter it ourselves (inconvenient, but it works).

2) Update your firmware for ALL Garmin ANT+ enable watches to provide BC-1000 pairing. It's ABSOLUTELY STUPID to not incorporate this feature into your highest end products. How you could create the FR405 and not include this feature is completely beyond me. I have no idea what you were thinking.

Comment

For FR405 owners duped like me

Well, if you're like me, and you already spent the $300 bucks to get the scale only to find out you can't use it for anything on Garmin Connect, there is a fix.

Amazon does have the FR60 for $89 (at the time I write this). It's normally $200. There are only a couple left in stock, so they may be gone by the time you get there, but it's worth a click.

If you're like me, I'm angry as all hell, but willing to spend the extra ninety bucks to get what I intended out of this three hundred dollar product.

To find the cheaper FR60 listing go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Men-92s-Garmin...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Comment

Update from Garmin?

Is there a update from Garmin with regards to making their "Top Model" the 405 CX compatible with the BA-1000 Tanita scale?

This is pefect for my needs, but reading the forum is really a disapointment....

And surley the advertisement in Garmin Connect makes this looks like a dupe...

Comment

Good times.... I know it is my fault for not checking before I clicked the "Buy" button but good grief! The 405cx is supposed to be the flagship! The Garmin website is what convinced me to buy the darn scale! Now I have to figure out how I'm going to make this work with some kludge....

Garmin: Either support the scale on your product line or stop prominently advertising on GarminConnect!

Comment

Lost sale

Disappointed Garmin. Just bought a 405cx so I could use it with the Tanita scale. Now I'm going to return it and you're losing a sale. Thanks to the other forum users for their input. I too feel that Garmin is a bit misleading on this, and can't figure out why it's a feature not included with the 405cx...

Comment

Working...
                              X