Forerunner 405 Unresponsive Bezel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forerunner 405 Unresponsive Bezel

Hey guys, my Forerunner 405 has become unresponsive for the last couple of days. The current time is working fine, its just the bezel that is unresponsive and the odd time enough if you press the lap/reset button then it will either lock or unlock. Backlight will also turn on occasionally from time to time. Any suggestions?

Sorry man, I'm no help, but will add that mine has done the same thing in the last day; I can lock/unlock bezel, but cannot turn on backlight or move to workout/menu/GPS settings. Kind of weird, because I've never had that problem before, and the watch worked fine a day or two ago. Will prob try Garmin support before doing a factory reset (won't be able to reenter settings without bezel selection if the reset doesn't work). I'll repost if I get the thing working again...

Comment

Originally posted by NATEMARTI View Post
      Sorry man, I'm no help, but will add that mine has done the same thing in the last day; I can lock/unlock bezel, but cannot turn on backlight or move to workout/menu/GPS settings. Kind of weird, because I've never had that problem before, and the watch worked fine a day or two ago. Will prob try Garmin support before doing a factory reset (won't be able to reenter settings without bezel selection if the reset doesn't work). I'll repost if I get the thing working again...
      Any news on this? It appears that my new, slightly used, one is doing this same thing. I'm starting to wish I held out for a 305 or edge. Thanks

Comment

Try a hard reset.

Comment

The same problem

Originally posted by PRESTONBORG View Post
          Hey guys, my Forerunner 405 has become unresponsive for the last couple of days. The current time is working fine, its just the bezel that is unresponsive and the odd time enough if you press the lap/reset button then it will either lock or unlock. Backlight will also turn on occasionally from time to time. Any suggestions?
          Hi Preston, do you a solution yet? I'm having same problem with the bezel.

Comment

I have had the same problem too. However I may have found the root cause in my case (though not necessarily the permanent solution -other than exchange my 405 for a refurbished one!).

The root cause seems to be that the start/stop (top) button sticks in the down position. I discovered this when the bezel would lock when I only pressed the lap/reset (bottom) button when bezel locking should take pressing both buttons at the same time. When I look at pictures of new Forerunner 405's I see that both buttons should protrude out of the watch to the same height. This is not the case for my 405. The start/stop button is currently much shorter. This button probably does not disconnect from its contact below.

For me the solution is just to play around with the start/stop button to slightly raise it off its contact (including soft taps to the watch). This only help somewhat and this fiddling needs to be done often...

So I suspect that this instability is a hardware/mechanical problem and not a software problem.

I hope my experience helps some of you with this unresponsive bezel issue, and if some one has a a better way of fixing the button, I would like to know.

Comment

I presume you've tried both a hard and soft reset- using the buttons? If not, sometimes a hard reset will fix it.

if not, then next thing to try is to take it off the charger and let the battery fully run down. Like- until it goes blank. then charge it up anew. that has worked for me. Another tip- is when you first put the dead watch back on the charger... tap the contacts a few times with the charger.

this is generally a recoverable problem

Comment

Originally posted by PEFUNNELL View Post
                I have had the same problem too. However I may have found the root cause in my case (though not necessarily the permanent solution -other than exchange my 405 for a refurbished one!).

The root cause seems to be that the start/stop (top) button sticks in the down position. I discovered this when the bezel would lock when I only pressed the lap/reset (bottom) button when bezel locking should take pressing both buttons at the same time. When I look at pictures of new Forerunner 405's I see that both buttons should protrude out of the watch to the same height. This is not the case for my 405. The start/stop button is currently much shorter. This button probably does not disconnect from its contact below.

For me the solution is just to play around with the start/stop button to slightly raise it off its contact (including soft taps to the watch). This only help somewhat and this fiddling needs to be done often...

So I suspect that this instability is a hardware/mechanical problem and not a software problem.

I hope my experience helps some of you with this unresponsive bezel issue, and if some one has a a better way of fixing the button, I would like to know.

Two years of frustration, countless months of searching on the internet, a new battery and you finally solved the problem. its a failure of the mechanics of the buttons!!! my watch would be on, but if i pressed only one button it would either lock or unlock, which is an action that requires both buttons to be pressed. I would reboot holding both buttons and it would never come back on. I could get it to constantly reboot, show the line, beep but always a blank screen. Recently this happened before a run so i started my run with a blank screen, took a spill, watch face hit the ground and instantly it rebooted. I let the watch die, charge to 100%, remove from charger and buttons were unresponsive. soft reboot and still blank screen, lightly tap the watch on the corner of a table between the two silver buttons and it rebooted instantly. now to spread the word to all those with the same issue! The buttons both appear to always be fully extended and have a full range of motion(returning to fully extended after pressing). The failure is either contamination deep in the mechanics or a miss alignment in the mechanics.

Comment

Hasnoshoes, I'm a little confused about what you did to fix it. How much of what you wrote is relevant?

Comment

Tip

Originally posted by PHILIPMAGNIER@GMAIL.COM View Post
                    Hasnoshoes, I'm a little confused about what you did to fix it. How much of what you wrote is relevant?
                    My watch spontaneously fixed itself. I no longer have that issue with my Lap button locking the watch every time.

I feel the issue possibly happened because I was constantly locking the watch in order to only get the fields I wanted displayed during the run. However, if you only enable one type of display of fields (there are three displays you can set up in all), then you never need to lock because the display can't jump to another.

Comment

Working...
                    X