No announcement yet.

310XT for Kayaking

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310XT for Kayaking

I have just purchased a new 310XT & I am using it mainly for kayak training. Has anyone worked out a way of measuring the paddling stroke rate with the 310XT?
    I have heard that it might be possible to use the foot pod stuck to the paddle.
    I don't want to go out & buy a foot pod to find out that it will not work the way i want it to?
    Any ideas?

I suspect it wont work, the cycle cadence meter may be better.

I have tried the footpod on an elliptical trainer, it occasionally detects a revolution, but seems to rely on the fast acceleration (?) as the foot strikes and leaves the ground to work.

I would have assumed that the elliptical would work because the foot speed vector goes from zero to max on each revolution but it does NOT.

Comment

I wouldn't use the cadence sensor, they're not waterproof.

Besides, any time you changed the position of your paddle (steering, etc) you'd either be too far away from the sensor for it to detect, or you'd be smacking it.

As far as I can tell the foot pod does rely on impact, and rotation alone won't activate it.

Kayak forums might be a better source of information - most everyone here are runners, cyclists or triathletes.

Comment

Most of the people I paddle with use 310xt's and I am not sure which Garmin Forum covers the use of their tool for kayaking?? I use this one?? So please don't ditch us "yakkers".

I have been wondering the same thing about the foot pod. I spoke to Garmin support and they indicated the same thing. I think that there is a fair "impact" when paddling reasonably (say under 5:00 /km pace), the motion is far from eliptical with the shaft being inverted from one side to another (and hence the pod being inverted)

Is the communication protocol known? I reckon I could build a device if the communication protocol was documented and understood. It would simply be a straight gravity switch which was transmitted via the correct protocol.

Anyone know?

Comment

Speed - Canoe

I used to use my 301 taped to my canoe as a speedometer - let me try and tune my technique and see how it affected my speed. 301 died due to not being waterproof.

The speed display on the 310XT is woefull. It lags behind actual speed. Best seen when wearing in the car. Stopping for traffic lights from 60kph, I can count to 8 or 9 before the speed settles back to 0kph. Terrible. My Garmin Nuvi 760 car gps takes about 1 sec.

I thought the new 2.90 firmware upgrade was supposed to help this, but it hasn't.

Didn' t the 301 have smoothing that you could adjust? The 310xt could do with this.

Might try to buy a 201 to use a speedo on the canoe....

Comment

I have a solution that works with the 310, it sits on the paddle and the watch picks up the cadence from this. I mount the watch on the foredeck and it will show me heart rate, speed, distance and cadence in real time. Very useful for endurance and sprint training and will also help you decide what length of paddle is best. You can contact me by email at brenooneill@gmail.com

Comment

I have developed a device using an accelerometer which measures the angle of the paddle. works wirelessly with Garmin 305 and 310. Watch needs to be set to bike mode and cadence sensor enabled. This product is not commercially available but if you want to try it out drop me an email. brenooneill@gmail.com

Comment

Vaaka paddle cadence sensor

The paddle cadence sensor has now completed on water testing and is available commercially at very reasonable rate from vaaka.co.nz
                Congratulations to Lisa Carrington new Sprint Kayak 200m World Champion. Lisa a member of the New Zealand sprint kayak squad stunned the world buy claiming the gold medal at the 2011 world champs. Over the last six months Lisa has been training with a Garmin forerunner watch and the Vaaka paddle cadence sensor. Results speak for themselves. Any serious kayak athlete needs real time cadence feedback while training.

Comment

A lot of people use 310xt in my marathon kayak club. They stick them at front of cockpit. It works well.

Several people have successfully used the footpod for paddling cadence. They stick them at the middle of the paddle.

Comment

Last month I had my 305 attached to my PFD, and the strap broke. Now this unit lies at the bottom of the Long Island Sound.

Comment

Originally posted by FRASERFAMILY View Post
                      Last month I had my 305 attached to my PFD, and the strap broke. Now this unit lies at the bottom of the Long Island Sound.
                      Well no amount of dry rice will soak up that amount of moisture

Comment

901XT seems to be picking up kayaking cadence ok

Comment

oops, 910XT

Comment

I ordered the vaaka paddle sensor

I ordered the vaaka paddle sensor which is reportedly in use by an number of national and elite kayaking teams. It should arrive sometime in the next few days and I'm looking forward to getting out on the water, working out and getting a better picture of the results afterwards. I'll report in after I get it out on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by JABUSADC View Post
                              I ordered the vaaka paddle sensor which is reportedly in use by an number of national and elite kayaking teams. It should arrive sometime in the next few days and I'm looking forward to getting out on the water, working out and getting a better picture of the results afterwards. I'll report in after I get it out on the water.
                              Made in NZ so will be brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X