Workouts and Pace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workouts and Pace

I have a data page on my 310xt that shows two fields: "Time - Lap" and "Pace". When I simply turn the device on and go, the pace field works as expected. It displays "current" or "instantaneous" pace just like my ForeRunner 610 that is setup with a similar data page. However, when I am using a custom/advanced workout this same Pace field seems to show some kind of average. After a period of time during the run it starts to update more and more slowly and in small increments, exactly like an "average" pace field would. Again, just to reiterate, the pace field works as expected (updating quickly and frequently) during a normal "non-workout" run.

My 610 does not behave this way. The Pace field always shows current/instantaneous pace regardless of whether I'm using a workout or just going on a normal quickstart run.

Is different behavior for the 310xt intentional? What pace is actually being displayed by this field during workouts? Average lap pace? Average Pace for the whole workout? How do I display current/instantaneous pace during a workout? For what it's worth, if this IS the intended behavior, then it's a little crazy and definitely unintuitive. I hope that I'm just missing something.

Any tips?

My best guess is that Average Lap Pace is being displayed during the custom workout. I have noticed the same thing with my 310XT and after analyzing the data in GC, especially in interval workouts where the pace varies wildly, it looks like the average pace for the current lap is shown.
    Current owner of: Forerunners 305, 310XT and 610; SDM4; GSC10; eTrex Legend; nuvis 260 and 265W
    Former owner of: Forerunners 405, 201 and 110; ANT+ Adapter for iPhone

Comment

That's a bummer. Surely this isn't the intended behavior, but I guess a bug fix this late in the product's life cycle probably isn't going to happen.

So, no way to get current/instant pace when doing a workout and two ways to get lap pace; the actual "lap pace" field and the broken "pace" field. Peachy. I'm glad I kept my 610 around.

Comment

Something it not sitting right with me about this. I'm going to set up a screen with 3 Pace data fields: Pace, Pace - Average, Pace - Lap. I have a couple of runs this weekend where I will be using custom workouts. I'll let you know what I find. Stay tuned...

If you want, why don't you try the same thing?
        Current owner of: Forerunners 305, 310XT and 610; SDM4; GSC10; eTrex Legend; nuvis 260 and 265W
        Former owner of: Forerunners 405, 201 and 110; ANT+ Adapter for iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by BRIANJBARBER View Post
          If you want, why don't you try the same thing?
          That's funny. I actually did just that this afternoon before I even saw your message. Great minds and all...

I setup a data page with Pace, Lap Pace, and Average Pace. And then started a workout. The workout only had two steps. A timed Warm Up (actually identified as such in the Garmin Connect Workout developer tool) and then a timed lap.

During the Warm Up step, the Pace field did, in fact, seem to operate like it was supposed to. I would slow down and speed up and the Pace field would respond almost immediately whereas the Lap Pace and Average Pace fields would slowly adjust up and down. Perfect. But then, for actual workout lap (a timed step) things got weird. The Lap Pace and Average Pace fields seemed to work as expected: i.e. The Lap Pace reset and the Average Pace continued on disregarding the fact that a lap has started. The Pace field, however, slowly stopped responding immediately to adjustments in speed and started responding slower and slower over time exactly as if it were the lap average EXCEPT that it's values DID NOT MATCH the lap average. So, no, it's not a duplicate of the lap average but it's also not the instant/current pace that it's supposed to be.

Bizarre.

It's not just being evenly smoothed either, because it's response to speed changes becomes slower and slower over time just like an average.

Grrr, very frustrating. I got this because my training over the next few months will involve a lot of different and unfamiliar paths so the ability to install and follow a course seemed like it might be useful, but now I'm not sure if it will be worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X