Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forerunner 310XT - Heart Rate Accuracy Issues - caused by v4.50 software upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forerunner 310XT - Heart Rate Accuracy Issues - caused by v4.50 software upgrade?

I've had my 310XT for 2 years and have updated the software on it twice. The first time a year ago and afterwards I began to notice spikes and non-reads on the heart monitor. So, I did a factory reset back to the original software and things worked fine. Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade to v4.50.0.0 and lo-and-behold the heart rate accuracy issues are back. I tried installing a new battery in the strap sensor and even bought a new strap (the soft one). Now I am getting spikes, non-reads, and inaccurate calorie counts - looks like I will be doing a factory reset again to see if that clears up these issues (again). Has anyone else experienced issues like this? I was a long time Polar user before this Garmin device and never had these types of issues - I switched to Garmin because of the built-in GPS, but perhaps I should reconsider my decision? Any and all input/comments welcome.

Currently living in Colorado has caused me much pain and suffering with my Garmin 310XT with heart rate reading issues. I have many years of experience with Garmin and Polars. This is my first winter in CO and dealing with super dry air. From my experience, Under armor shirts cause a lot of issues. Spectra 360 Electrode Gel has helped. Spraying Static Guard on my T-shirt and running shorts has seemed to help. Scrubbing the rubber portion of the chest strap around the electrodes with soap and a toothbrush has also helped. I still get time to to time spikes but easily identified. What I don't have is drop outs. Although I have drop outs on my foot pod which is why I am currently looking on the board for solutions. 310XT is a great tool as are the Polars.

Comment

Similar accuracy issues!

Were you ever able to find a solution to your problem with non-reads and spikes? I'm experiencing the same issues w/ my 310xt and HR strap. I had no noticeable issues the first few months of using it, but in the past month, it's all over the place. It may also be related to a software update...I didn't pay that close of attention to when the issues began though. I'm doing specific zone training, so HR accuracy is important (the thing jumps from 110bpm to 170bpm!). I've tried some of that gel that's supposed to help conductivity... it was iffy. Was the factory reset the only solution you were able to find?

Comment

DannyM

Originally posted by STEPH.GOB View Post
        Were you ever able to find a solution to your problem with non-reads and spikes? I'm experiencing the same issues w/ my 310xt and HR strap. I had no noticeable issues the first few months of using it, but in the past month, it's all over the place. It may also be related to a software update...I didn't pay that close of attention to when the issues began though. I'm doing specific zone training, so HR accuracy is important (the thing jumps from 110bpm to 170bpm!). I've tried some of that gel that's supposed to help conductivity... it was iffy. Was the factory reset the only solution you were able to find?
        I had similar issues this past winter here in NY, HR worked great for about two months then huge spikes. I was either at 220bpm or 112bpm. Called Garmin they recommended washing it, which i did but didnt remedy the issue. However i decided to purchase a Polar HR Strap (totally compataible) and I had any issues with HR spikes or non-reads since.

Polar HR strap cost me less than $20 on Amazon

Comment

I spray the insides of my synthetic running shirts with Static Guard and that seems to take care of the spikes. I do use Bah Bump on the electrodes. I would NEVER scrub the electrodes with a toothbrush. I did that once and essentially all I did was to scrub the electrode coating off of the strap so that the heart rate monitor wouldn't work at all any more.

I only use the original strap. The newer straps have an additional point of failure where the snaps are. In fact, I've been worried that it might start getting harder to find the original style strap at some point, so I actually bought a spare last week. I've never had any drop out problems, and likewise I've never had any cadence issues with the foot pods and I've used them a lot.

Comment

Resting heart rate above 200? I don't think so.

I've had a forerunner 310xt for a few years and use for a variety of sports. I had issues with v high heart rates so sent forerunner and strap back to garmin. They couldn't find anything wrong but I persisted so they sent me new units. It was all fine for a couple of months then the problem returned. I gave up on heart rate and have just been using other functions but I really need to get back to HR for training. It's expensive kit and I don't see why I should have to invest in something else. I've changed batteries, reset settings, updated software, tried it without static-y t-shirts, nothing works. Why doesn't garmin address this issue? Totally arrogant and poor service.
            Attached Files

Comment

Today I have had dropouts with my Garmin while surfing.
              The reason I bought the Garmin was owing to a heart issue so as to monitor, while surfing.
              It works perfectly running, just inaccurate, and constant dropouts while surfing.
              Soft heart rate monitor & processor/data logger mounted to nose of my board.
              GPS works perfectly.
              Also unit mist up when you hit the water. (Then slowly clears.)

Really dissappointed Garmin.
              Last edited by PUKKA13; 03-29-2014, 09:25 PM. Reason: xtra

Comment

You can't expect heart rate data to be collected if the heart rate monitor or the 310 goes under water. The ANT+ transmitter in the heart rate monitor isn't strong enough to transmit through much water.

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by TRAVIS.VITEK View Post
                  You can't expect heart rate data to be collected if the heart rate monitor or the 310 goes under water. The ANT+ transmitter in the heart rate monitor isn't strong enough to transmit through much water.

Travis
                  Obviously.
                  But the transmitter was rarely underwater. While paddling today it dropped out frequently above water.
                  Or, gave spurious readings of about half what it should be.
                  Whilst sitting, I adjusted the transmitters position & sometimes got a reading, usually inaccurate.
                  I suspected the wetsuit material was the culprit so did a test walking on the beach. There it operated correctly with or without the wetsuit covering it.
                  I tried another test paddling ( duck-diving ) with it repositioned, & got slightly better results, but not enough to rely on.
                  The misting came and went. Usually after entry to ocean. Disappeared about ten minutes later. Possibly assembled with humid air inside and drop in temp results in condensation forming
                  when the glass temp drops?
                  I can live with the condensation as I get the log later, but I definitely can't use the HR data.

Comment

I got same issue. My 310XT work well in 2 months, but now HR statistics is wrong, I knew it because when I run pace 5', my HR was 75bpm.
                    I already try to fix in some ways like: clean chest strap, wet it. But they don't work.

I'm try to downgrade the software version (now is 4.50).

Comment

Yep I'm with you on that. Tried just about everything to stabilise it.
                      Apart from the 3mm rubber wetsuit there is nothing stopping the wireless connection as I'm out of the water.
                      Running it is fine. Several ppl have mentioned using the polar T31 strap, suggesting a conductivity problem.
                      I'm surprised Garmin haven't addressed this as it seems to be happening out of the water as well.
                      I think I will order an aquapulse. Just I will have no data log for it.
                      Either that or switch to a Polar FT80 & T31. (5.4Ghz supposedly works better)

Post how you got on with retro software.
                      Last edited by PUKKA13; 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RVDOWNING View Post

I only use the original strap
                        . The newer straps have an additional point of failure where the snaps are. In fact, I've been worried that it might start getting harder to find the original style strap at some point, so I actually bought a spare last week. I've never had any drop out problems, and likewise I've never had any cadence issues with the foot pods and I've used them a lot.
                        You mean the hard strap?

Comment

Garmin 310XT HR Monitor totally erratic

Does anybody have any further advice. My Garmin 310XT HR monitor is all over the place. On a nice easy 12 km run, the device showed heart rates between 50 bpm and 220 bpm, constantly changing. I have done a hard reset, downloaded all the latest firmware and depolarised the transmitter. I still can't get it to read properly. Can anyone assist?

Comment

Did you try using electrode gel (a la post #2)? I used to experience erratic readings and electrode gel fixed it. It really improves conductivity between your skin and the contacts on the HR strap.
                            Current owner of: Forerunners 305, 310XT and 610; SDM4; GSC10; eTrex Legend; nuvis 260 and 265W
                            Former owner of: Forerunners 405, 201 and 110; ANT+ Adapter for iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by BRIANJBARBER View Post
                              Did you try using electrode gel (a la post #2)? I used to experience erratic readings and electrode gel fixed it. It really improves conductivity between your skin and the contacts on the HR strap.
                              I might try and grabs some today. I am not confident though as the HRM was working fine one day (with saliva), and just not working properly the next day, and hasn't since.

Comment

Working...
                              X