Recovery Heart Rate Message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Heart Rate Message

I recently started receiving a message on my 310xt several minutes (I think between 3 and 5 minutes) after I stop any workout (running, biking, etc.) - it is a square box in the middle of the display that says "Recovery Heart Rate" and displays whatever my heart rate is at the time. Usually the display lasts for about 5 seconds then disappears, a few times however the display freezes and I have to cycle my unit (off/on) to get it to go away. Two questions: i) what is the recovery heart rate message (I can't find any info in the manual or online) and ii) has anyone else had troubles with it freezing on screen?

This was a new feature implemented in the latest firmware update. Therefore, it is not included in the manual. I have not had an issue with it causing the unit to freeze. Are you letting the message go away on its own?

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:
    • Fixed file corruption that was causing transfer failures with Garmin Ant Agent.
    • Added a Memory Details feature to the History menu.
    • Recovery HR message will now only show when it is supposed to.
    • ANT+ power data improvements.
    • Added safeguards to correct issues where a unit would not power on.
    • Improved execution of courses.
    • Fixed various minor issues.

Recovery Heart Rate is the heart rate that your body will decrease to after an exercise session. It is used to evaluate your fitness level after exercise.
    Last edited by SEILOGRAMP; 09-09-2009, 05:10 AM.
    Phil M.
    myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
    F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
    nüvi 67LMT

Comment

The message does stay for quite a while. I think it goes away if you press the ENTER key....

Comment

Guys - thanks for all the comments, that clears up a lot. As for it freezing on the screen I would say that it has stayed up on the screen for 45 seconds or so. I haven't tried pushing the "enter" button to remove it but will try that next time.

SEILOGRAMP - How can I use the recovery heart rate to evaluate my fitness? Are there certain thresholds that it should be in as a percentage of my max?

Thanks

Comment

http://www.gbboyscadetepee.co.uk/HeartRateRecovery.doc

This will give you some indication. Basically, the fitter you are, the quicker your heart rate will drop after exertion.

Comment

Does this recovery heart rate message come on automatically after every workout, or is there some setting we're supposed to use to make it come on (or to keep it off)?

Comment

Originally posted by DW152 View Post
              Does this recovery heart rate message come on automatically after every workout, or is there some setting we're supposed to use to make it come on (or to keep it off)?
              Mine just started appearing after the firmware update. Couldn't find any way to suppress it or allow it.
              Phil M.
              myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
              F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
              nüvi 67LMT

Comment

Maybe someone from Garmin could explain how and when they display this. How does the 310 decide what your recovery HR is? Without knowing what their thought process is, this is just a number that happens to be your current HR some unknown time after you hit the stop button. This really should be a configurable property so you know when your HR is down to what you decide is your recovery HR.

In general, Garmin is really bad about documenting new features. I don't think the Edge 705 manual has changed since it came out almost two years ago even though there have been many significant functionality changes/improvements.

Comment

When you say "After a workout", do you mean after a workout where you pressed "Mode->Training Workouts", or do you mean after an workout where you turned the watch on, waited for satellites and pressed "Start"?

-Keith

Comment

Originally posted by EKUTTER View Post
                    Maybe someone from Garmin could explain how and when they display this. How does the 310 decide what your recovery HR is? Without knowing what their thought process is, this is just a number that happens to be your current HR some unknown time after you hit the stop button. This really should be a configurable property so you know when your HR is down to what you decide is your recovery HR.
                    Not a Garmin employee, but I can tell you the "recovery HR" is what your HR is 2 minutes after pressing the stop button. Maybe the label/name should be different than "Recovery HR" as it's more of a 2-minute post workout HR check.

I agree, it would be nice to configure what the minute is for checking. Instead of 2 minutes, maybe I want the check at 5 minutes.

And for a true recovery, it would be nice to ask for an alert when one's HR reaches a certain (configurable) HR after pressing the stop button.

Both those suggestions warrant a note to Garmin Support.

April
                    http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

By workout, I mean any time I press the start button, do my exercise, and then press the stop button. At some point (usually a few minutes) after the stop button is pressed, it brings up the little window that says something like "Recovery Heart Rate: 82". This has nothing to do with the "Training Workout's".

In response to NDURANCERIDER, 2 minutes that you use is an arbitrary number some people and some conventions use. I have also seen it where a specific HR is considered your recovery value and you rest how ever many minutes it takes to get down to that point. I just want to understand what convention Garmin has chosen for this calculation.

Comment

My question is why doesn't it RECORD that number (sure it would be nice to be able to change things like the number of minutes after pressing stop). But the whole person of the wath is that it gives me a record and I don't have to write it down. I don't want to have to remember the number til I get home!

Comment

Yes, I agree it would be handy to have the number recorded as well. I've suggested that already and it would be good if you also suggested it to Garmin Support.

April
                          http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by KAFOLSKE View Post
                            When you say "After a workout", do you mean after a workout where you pressed "Mode->Training Workouts", or do you mean after an workout where you turned the watch on, waited for satellites and pressed "Start"?

-Keith
                            After you have completed a training activity whether that be simple start/stop, manual laps or programmed workout. Sometimes the terminology is a little confusing.

Comment

Garmin 310 heart rate recovery

As I recall the 305 had an ajustable heart rate recovery - but only for interval training, I posted a requist a long time ago to garmin, that It would be great to have this feature also in normal mode, and as said here in this forum, it would be great I we could set our own heat rate and recovery time.

Recovery heat rate is a great way to see progress in your training. But as mentioned it would be best if one could set this by him self, as an exsample I have a max pulse on 200 and a resting pulse around 51...and I am 42 years old..- Maybe 2 min. is the correct time for mesure recovery ??

Comment

Working...
                              X