Anyone used the 310xt quick release?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used the 310xt quick release?

I do triathlons and was interested in the quick release. I was on slowtwitch and saw what the unit looked like and how it was to be used. It was a bit unclear so I'm asking if anyone has tried it? It appears you have to replace the original band with a new one (which has a twist quick release feature). I assume you then swim with it, then snap the watch body off the wrist strap, mount it to the mount on the bike and then twist it back off the bike and onto your wrist to run with? I'm not so sure all of that is worth it. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I've got it and it is basically as you describe. I've also seen the post on Slowtwitch, or at least one of them. I also had the quick release for the 305 and will say that this one is better in a number of ways. 1, it is a slimmer profile. 2. The connection to the bike mount is much more solid. 3. And the twisting action allows a much easier release than the 305 version.

Will add wearing the QR strap will give your unit a little higher profile on your wrist than the standard strap (may be a problem for folks who already think the unit is a little thick). I don't like swimming with the 310 on my wrist so much, and the higher profile adds to this, but, what I can do very easily now is just wear the head unit under a swim cap--so net result an improvement for me because I get GPS track during the swim and don't have to deal with the strap.

The QR strap, much like on the 305 version will allow a better fit for the small wristed.

I'm not too much of a fan of the "locking" tab on the strap of the QR version either. The standard strap really holds secure with that little metal clip, the little plastic end of the QR strap not so much. Watch doesn't come off, I just get annoyed when it pops out of the retaining ring. Not sure if that's clear.

Lastly, in the post I read on ST there were some users who doubted or had problems with the pins on the strap being able to hold the unit securely in place. I've had my own concerns initially, but it's held up so far (and I had similar worries on the 305 setup and never had a problem). Will note, however, that the QR strap came with a different set of pins than the standard strap uses. Those definitely need to be used.
    Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

I also use the QR with my 310 and am a big fan. I don't compete in triathlons but do a lot of "brick" workouts, cycling and then finishing off with a run. This makes the transition from the bike to the run effortless. Jump off the bike twist the unit off the bike mount, and twist it onto the wrist strap. I personally haven't had any issues with the closure system of the strap. Yes it does sit slightly higher off the wrist than with the standard strap, but not by a huge amount.
      Lisa

Comment

The picture for the Quick release kit is missing on the Garmin site and I'm unable to find it on the ST site. Any hints?
        - Steve

my GC digest

Comment

ST here means slowtwitch.com and not the usual sporttracks. Here's one post with a pic, which I found with a search, but isn't the one I was referring to in my post (or I might be muddled in my memories about what was posted re problems with the pins):
          http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/...engine#2422828
          Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

Thanks Anthony. I wonder why Garmin is slow to show pictures of this accessory?
            - Steve

my GC digest

Comment

Not sure, could be limited release/quantity perhaps. Believe it was the same initially with the QR system for the fr305s. FWIW the system is nice to pick up even just to use the bike mount which works really well.
              Anthony

My GC Digest

Comment

I'll mention that I like the Quick Release wrist strap better than the one that came on the 310 itself. I have small wrists and the QR strap fits me so much better. And I mount the "bike" mount part on my horse's saddle.

April
                http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Comment

Didn't have any different pins with our QR kits so used the pins from the original strap. Not encountered any problems so far.

Not too keen on the higher profile on the QR. We have heard that the 405 bike mount works well with the 310. Ordered a couple of those - they're not too expensive, to see what they look/work like
                  Last edited by philipshambrook; 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILIPSHAMBROOK View Post
                    We have heard that the 405 bike mount works well with the 310. Ordered a couple of those - they're not too expensive, to see what they look/work like
                    Yes prior to using the QR I used the 405 bike mount and it does work well. The one big advantage of the QR is speed. It used to take me a fair amount of time to do up the strap underneath the bike mount. It was "fiddly" inbetween the brakes, looking underneath. The QR is just a case of a twist and the is unit on. A couple of seconds at most. If you are competing with the 310, in my opinion, this is the one to go for.
                    Lisa

Comment

Thank you all for the posts. I have to admit I was not gong to buy it but it sounds like it will be worth the investment. I'll practice pulling the band off and wearing the unit under my cap so I can quickly mount it to the bike and then to my wrist. Thanks again everyone!!

Comment

where to purchase the quick release kit for the new 310xt

i have not been able to locate where to purchase the quick release kit for the new 310xt (i love the old one from my 305 and am rather irked that Garmin didn't design for re-use!) Can anyone direct me to a good place to buy?

Comment

Should be able to purchase it here.
                          Phil M.
                          myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
                          F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
                          nĂ¼vi 67LMT

Comment

Originally posted by NASTUART View Post
                            i have not been able to locate where to purchase the quick release kit for the new 310xt
                            I just did a google search for "quick release forerunner 310xt," which returned several places to buy. holabirdsports.com had it for about $22.

Comment

Mount on Aero Bars?

I can't really tell how the quick release will mount on the bike. I assume it is designed to mount on the handlebars, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to mount on the aero bars. Would the watch be turned sideways if I did this, or can it be adjusted for either orientation?

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X