Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Wong HR with GPS

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wong HR with GPS

Hi
    I have a problem and I wonder if someone can explain why it is happening and how to solve it.
    1 - working indoor. GPS switched off. HR reading is correct, no problem at all
    2 - Working outdoors. The GPS get sat's ok. Then I start running, and here is the problem. The HR goes mad for a few minutes. Goes up dramatically (even if I just walk), after a few minutes it turn down and stabilize on the normal rate, from now on everything goes fine during the run.
    Why do I have this incorrect HR reading when the GPS is on? (Just during the first 4 or 5 minutes) How can it be solved?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Regards

Does this HR spike happen before the timer is started? When you watch the HR section of your watch before you begin running do you see these spikes?

Comment

Do moisten the HR strap?

Comment

Heres a thought also. Are you using electrode gel? Often heart rate monitors "go crazy" until the strap builds up enough moisture to make good contact. Most likely you bounce more outside running and this can cause the strap to be more likely to lose contact and misread outside and less likely inside.

I've had this same heart rate going WAY too high for first 5 minuts or so running outside but no problem using cardo machines inside with Polar. Even bought new straps but problem continued and finely found that electrode gel cured the problem.
        Last edited by julien321; 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

@ HOBSONS - no just after the timer is started, but when the timer is started and I start moving, even if it is walking

@PHILIPSHAMBROOK - I do not think is a problem with the strap. I have tried with it completely dry, moisten, wet, it doesn't matter

@JULIEN - I am not using any gel

Thanks for your input

Comment

Solutions to HR Spike at beginning of run

The problem with HR spikes seems to be from static electricity. The consensus seems to be that when you start running (usually in cold dry weather) the rubbing between the strap and your shirt (mostly technical shirts) causes the static electricity. As you continue running, your sweat reduces the friction or acts as a conduit that stops the spikes. There are some runners who believe that the problem is caused by chest hair. Electrons on hair are loosely bonded and the rubbing could be causing the spikes, but since woman runners also report this problem, it seems that chest hair issues are not the root cause.

I surveyed a number of sites for solutions and included my own experience. See below.

#1 Solution - antistatic agent spray - Description - Commercial products such as "Static Guard" spray. - Use - Spray on inside of shirt and outside of strap before run. - Effectiveness - seems to solve problem totally - Issues - You need to spray each time, to be sure it works. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The US Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The US Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products.

#2 Solution - antistatic agent sheet - Description - Commercial products such as fabric softener sheets "Static Guard" sheets. - Use - rub on shirt and strap before run - Effectiveness - May be as good as spray, but fewer people have tried this - Issues - You need to rub the sheet on the fabric and strap each time, to be sure it works. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The MSDS lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. If you are concerned there are all natural dryer sheets, such as "The Static Eliminator" and "Hand-Maid X-Static". There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The MSDS lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. If you are concerned there are all natural dryer sheets, such as "The Static Eliminator" and "Hand-Maid X-Static". There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products.

#3 Solution - wetting strap - Description - Plain water. - Use - Spray, sponge or simply lick both sides of the strap. - Effectiveness - appears effective almost all the time, but less effective if there is a lag between wetting the strip and going out for your run. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent and needs to be applied just before your run. - Warnings - There is an uck factor if people see you licking your strap. - Warnings - There is an uck factor if people see you licking your strap.

#4 Solution - Gel and water - Description - Electrogel on inside of strap and water on outside. Others have tried various types of gel, including Aloe and K-Y jelly with similar results. - Use - Lightly coat inside of strap with electro gel and then wet the outside. - Effectiveness - Seems more effective than just wetting the strap. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent and needs to be applied just before your run. - Warnings - The electro-gel is expensive, but lasts a long time. - Warnings - The electro-gel is expensive, but lasts a long time.

#5 Solution - Electro Gel on both sides - Description - Electrogel on inside and outside of strap. - Use - Lightly coat inside of and outside of strap, then lightly rub shirt against strap. - Effectiveness - Seems more effective than just wetting the strap and you don't have to rush out to run before it dries. This also works on bikes where the water on the outside of the strap may evaporate during a long ride. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#6 Solution - Strap tightness - Description - Tighten the strap. - Use - Tighten the strap and periodically check that the strap hasn't loosened - they tend to become more slick over time and loosen up. - Effectiveness - This solved the problems for some runners. - Issues - May have to be done many times if strap keeps slipping. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#7 Solution - Battery issues - Description - Replace the strap battery and make sure there is no corrosion on contacts. - Use - This solved the problems for some runners. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - If this doesn’t' work, you may have spent a few dollars on new batteries. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#8 Solution - Tape bands on strap - Description - Tape two rows of first-aid tape around strap a few inches from center. - Use - Semi-permanent until hair tape wears out. - Effectiveness - One runner has reported that this is totally effective. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#9 Solution - Change strap position - Description - Wear strap (upside down) on back. - Use - This solved the problems for some runners. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#10 Solution - Strap cleanliness - Description - Wash the strap after each run. - Use - Wash the strap after each run. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#11 Solution - Replace with other brand of strap - Description - Replace with Polar strap that has embedded anti-static substances. - Use - Search Web for instructions. - Effectiveness - Some runners report that this completely solved the problem. - Issues - You have to jury rig the strap. There are some reported problems with Polar straps being effected by high tension electrical lines. - Warnings - If this doesn't work, you'll have wasted some dollars. - Warnings - If this doesn't work, you'll have wasted some dollars.

#12 Solution - Anti-static tape - Description - 3M makes an Anti-Static Tape - Use - Haven't tried it yet. - Effectiveness - Haven't tried it yet. - Issues - The tape is expensive, $13/roll. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#13 Solution - Duct tape - Description - Try duct tape rows along strap. - Use - Haven't tried it yet. - Effectiveness - Duct tape seems to work for everything else. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - Strap looks funky. - Warnings - Strap looks funky.

#14 Solution - Cellophane tape along strap - Description - Tape the length of the outside of the strap with cellophane (i.e. Scotch tape). - Use - Still experimenting - unknown effectiveness - Effectiveness - Still experimenting - unknown effectiveness - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#15 Solution - Shave hair - Description - Shave hair on chest where strap rubs. - Use - Semi-permanent until hair grows back. - Effectiveness - One runner has reported that this is totally effective. - Issues - Cosmetic if you care. - Warnings - Ask girlfriend/wife first. Since women also report the HR spiking, there is some doublt about the hair being the cause. - Warnings - Ask girlfriend/wife first. Since women also report the HR spiking, there is some doublt about the hair being the cause.

#16 Solution - Garmin solution - Description - Future upgrade to a anti-static strap. - Use - Waiting for Garmin. - Effectiveness - When Garmin gets around to including anti-static materials in its strap this problem with disappear. - Issues - Garmin seems to be in denial on this issue.

Comment

Hi HSCHONZEIT
              Thanks for the detail and elaborated answer, I will try som ofyour proposals to see if I can fix it.
              best regards

Comment

Working...
              X