Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please add bike mode to the 220 not just the 620.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please add bike mode to the 220 not just the 620.

I bought the 220 knowing it didn't have a bike mode. But seeing bike text in the firmware and bike fields in .fit files coming from the 220 gave me hope that DC's suggestion that the 220 may get a basic bike mode may come to fruition.
    Recent chat in some forums suggest that the 620 will get bike mode but the 220 may miss out.
    A basic bike mode would allow us to use the watch in GPS mode without needing to have the accelerometer updating the stride table. It may also allow for the inclusion of a average speed field.
    What would be needed ( not wanted) for a basic bike mode ?

At the ultimate basic... surely you just track it in "run" mode - then change the activity type in GarminConnect (or Strava or ...) - you get the GPS trace, so the speed etc. If you have an HRM, you get the HR trace...

Comment

I think the key would be support for the bike cadence sensor on the 220

Comment

If a full fledged bike mode is too much to ask for, a simple "other" sport mode would already be great. It wouldn't mess up for cadence/stride calibration and you could use it for all kinds of sports (cycling, walking, eliptical trainer etc).

Comment

I absolutely agree with that.

By the way, I think is not a good idea for garmin to still develop gps watches as if we still where in the 90's. replacing an 210 by a 220 and not offering anything else as the weight is a real nonsense.

A gps watch is as good as its software / web, so as I can see the 220 its only a watch for runners, because garmin wants this to be this way. They can do this watch be as good as we want, but I think that they don't want, the prefer that people spend a lot of money buying a 620, just for having the "bike mode" (which is still not developed), that's ridiculous.

Every watch they have could be an multi-sport watch, so, what's the point of having an 50m water proof watch, which is not prepared to register swimming workouts ?

I like the 220 for its weigh, not many more things. if it has multi-sports it would be perfect. Why do I have to change configuration from m/km to km/h if I want to use it on my bike ? and then, when finished, change the sport in the web from running to bike... the same with another sport ? why the web has a HR table prepared to running and cycling if I only can use it for running ?

The more I thinking about that, the more I want to change the 220 with a suunto ambit 2s, its a little more expensive, more weight, but... a lot of improvements.

Comment

The reason i ask is that the 620 forum is WAY more active then the 220 and may end up getting what they want.
            There has also been statements by some in the know that the 620 WILL get bike mode , but nothing about the 220 explicitly.
            Some of the .FIT files on the 220 already look to have Bike fields in them, these may just be default shared code leftovers from 220,620,fenix development.
            Most of the plain TEXT in the 220 and 620 FW are still very very similar, and include quite a bit of Bike mode stuff. Again , this may only be shared code that wont be enabled... who knows <:-|

Bike Sensor is on.
            Bike Sensor is off.
            Cadence sensor battery is low.
            Cadence Sensor Detected
            Calibration successful. Factor = %1
            Reset the current activity before calibrating.
            Wheel Size
            Auto %1
            Custom %1
            Running
            Cycling

Comment

I'm sure that both watchs uses the same hardware, plus wi-fi and minor upgrades.

I think its a bad way to develop nowadays watches only for running, because the way to do multi-sport is an software matter.

I've have send a email to social.support@garmin.com explaining my thought about this, its like free software and propietary software, you can do whatever you want with open source but you are tied with propietary software.

At this days, the customer a good product, but wants services, this services this days are comming via internet, so its very easy to give upgrades and better solutions to your customers.

Comment

ok, I have returned the watch, until it became much better I will not waste so much money in this.

I see that the forum 620 has more problems than 220, so I will wait or switch to another company.

good luck !
                Last edited by Tomeu_Sastre; 04-14-2014, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I strongly support the above suggestion on having at least "Other activities" option to avoid
                  (1) messing up all the records and (2) the trouble of changing the screen elements back and forth between speed and pace.

After a bike ride couple days ago, although I corrected the entry as a ride at Garmin-Connect, it still hasn't synced the watch.

Comment

not looking good.
                    See the 3rd post down in this thread:
                    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...-average-Speed

'.. there will be no firmware updates that add additional functions'

Keep emailing Garmin if you want bike mode or a non running mode !

Comment

Originally posted by ZUKJEFF View Post
                      not looking good.
                      See the 3rd post down in this thread:
                      https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...-average-Speed

'.. there will be no firmware updates that add additional functions'

Keep emailing Garmin if you want bike mode or a non running mode !

Wait until Android watches jump into de market and you will see on a 220 whatever you want.

I need a GPS for running, just for see my average speed, buy I will not pay 200€ for that ! I better prefer to change my shoes ! by now I'm going with my Android phone and my cheap heart rate monitor. My new phone costs less than 200€ !!

Comment

Sprinting or running at LTHR or above with a phone in your hand or on the arm is not on the cards , thats why we purchase a light GPS watch with a big water resistant start/stop button.

Comment

yes, you've got the right, but its price is too high just for a only-running device.

it should be multi-sport capable, not just running, there are thousands of sports out there.
                          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 04-23-2014, 01:03 AM. Reason: please dont quote a post directly above yours, it just makes the thread difficult to follow, thanks

Comment

DCRainmaker has inside info that Bike mode will NOT be coming to the FR220.
                            It will be on the FR620 in the next few weeks.

PLEASE keep contacting Garmin for a mode that will allow us to use the GPS of the 220 without affecting the accelerator calibration.
                            Don't just post here, it will not get anything changed.

Comment

Hi there.

What have I done ? my solution :
                              - return the 220 back.
                              - Found a used 620
                              - bought it.
                              - wait for bike mode (that is supposed to going to have)

wish good luck to all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X