No announcement yet.

Satellite prepopulation

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite prepopulation

Just started using my new 220 and very happy with it. So much lighter and smaller than my faithful old 305.

But gps lock-on is very slow, ie several minutes. Not a problem in itself as I can leave it to find the satellites as I get ready. But I thought it was meant to be faster because of prepopulation - is this done by usb from the computer or by bluetooth from a phone?

Thanks in advance :-)

AKAMUTTLEY - I've been using my 220 for a week or so now and it hasn't taken anything longer than 10 seconds to find satellites. However, I am assuming that you have had it connected with your PC/smartphone (via bluetooth) to get the satellite info? If so, it sounds like there is something wrong.

Comment

Hi Filthycelt ... the unit has only been connected to a pc via the usb cable. I don't have a smartphone.

Comment

Problem solved. I uploaded a workout via the usb cradle using Communicator, and assumed that the satellite pre-cache would be downloaded to the device at the same time. Wrong. What I needed also was the Express Fit app. Which is mentioned in the manual but only in passing.

Now all installed and working perfectly.

Comment

Question about the pre-loading

So I got the watch yesterday, downloaded the Garmin Express program and clicked the refresh button. It said stuff was uploaded to Garmin site, but nothing about the satellites being pre-populated. I tried the GPS today and it took forever to get a lock. Am I doing that wrong?

Comment

So the satellite pre-population happens in the background when you connect with Express Fit? I just received the FR220 yesterday and used it for the first time today. It took a long time to acquire satellites, but I figured for the first time it will do that. I have connected it with Express Fit but didn't see anything about the pre-population.

Thanks.

-Ken

Comment

The ephemeris data (pre-population information) is loaded to the Forerunner 220 any time data is transferred (i.e. uploading data to Garmin Connect, downloading software updates to the watch), and not just connecting it to the computer. This can be done through the USB connection (7 days worth of ephemeris data), or via Bluetooth (3 days), from your compatible smartphone when used with the Connect Mobile app.

Comment

Thank you. Is there any indication that it's loaded that data or it's just guaranteed to happen?

Comment

At this time there is no indication from the watch or application that the data downloaded to the watch. To be specific here are the scenarios where the watch will be loaded with the satellite data:
                  1. - USB – connecting to the data cable which is plugged into your computer's USB port and having Garmin Express Fit recognize the device should be enough to facilitate a satellite data update
                  2. - WiFi (Forerunner 620 only) - Pressing the Connect button on the Forerunner 620 to check for files will facilitate a satellite data update
                  3. - BLE/Phone app – Connecting to the phone app should be enough to facilitate a satellite data update (We currently support the iPhone 4S and above at this time)

The above only occurs when the data is either not present on the watch or when the data on the watch is expired. Updating through your computer downloads 7 days worth of data and downloading via Bluetooth downloads 3 days worth of data.
                  Last edited by bb1975; 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM.
                  Garmin Product Support

North America Support:

US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
                  Canada: 1-866-429-9296
                  Mon–Thurs: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
                  Fri: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
                  Central Time (closed holidays)

United Kingdom Support:

Freephone from UK landline: 0808 238 0000
                  Within UK: 0870 850 1242
                  Outside UK: +44 870 850 1242

For other locales please visit: www.garmin.com/support for contact details

Comment

Thank you so much. That is the most perfect and concise explanation anyone could ask for.

Comment

Hi.

Sorry if I'm being stupid but how / where do I actually set up satellite data to download to my 220.

I understand the process above but not how to set up the satellite data to be transferred.

Thanks.

Comment

It happens automatically when you use Garmin Express Fit and/or the Garmin Connect app.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMGROSE View Post
                          It happens automatically when you use Garmin Express Fit and/or the Garmin Connect app.
                          Thanks.

Is it possible to define the data to download such as for satellite information for an upcoming race?

Comment

No - see the detailed explanation on how the download works further up this thread as given by a member of the Garmin Support team.

Comment

What about updating via wifi, do I get 3 days of satellite data or 7? I rarely have 3 days off unless injured or sick - so not much difference as I need to charge pretty much every 2nd day, but curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X