No announcement yet.

memory full alert

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory full alert

I have a garmin 110 and was out on my run today and noticed a full memory alert come up on my watch. I have also noticed spiked HR on watch when obviously taking it easy. I use a soft strap and I also delete the history daily so memory should not even be used at all. I'm with this guy, there may be something in common.

I moved this post to the Forerunner 110 forum (The thread referenced by Affedex is here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=12065) .

The Forerunner 110 will automatically delete history when the drive becomes full, (which should not occur until after about 200 hours of recording). It will only display a memory full alert if the drive is full, but there is not any old history to delete. This means that either, the user has copied files to the drive that are taking up most of the storage space, or the drive is corrupted. I recommend connecting your watch to a computer, and looking at the drive to see if it is corrupted or if it is full due to non-history files.

Our devices receive the heart rate in beats per minute directly from the heart rate strap, and do not process this information in any way. To my knowledge, the only possible source of heart rate spikes is the strap itself.
    Last edited by BBECKER39; 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Same problem, need help!

My Forerunner 110 is saying memory full and I have read and followed the manual's instructions with no luck. My "Activities" folder only shows one Autocad Fit Raster Plot file? Have no idea what this is but that's the ONLY thing showing and no actual activities. The properties does show as memory being full to capacity. I don't know what to do! I need my running partner. Help.

Comment

You will not get this message if there are only activity files taking up space on your device. (The device will automatically delete your oldest activities.) Somewhere on your device, there are non-activity files that are filling up the storage space. (.fit are activity files, not Autocad Fit Raster Plot files. They are only associated that way on your computer.)

If you are using a Mac, it can create a .trashes file, where it will move all of the files you delete instead of actually deleting them, which will cause these backup files to fill your entire storage capacity. If this is the problem, you need to empty the trash files or just delete the entire .trashes file on your computer. If this is not the issue, you will need to find the location on your device that is filling the storage capacity, and delete the offending files.

Comment

memory full alert still...

I am also getting a Memory Full alert that won't let me track any new activity. Looking at my Garmin folder right now while it's hooked up to my computer, I have the following:
          Activities Folder: None
          Device.fit
          FIT folder: nothing
          fs_Image.ver
          Newsfiles Folder: None
          Settings: Settings.fit
          Sports: None
          Totals: None

And it still shows me at capacity.... I have no idea what else to do to get the memory cleaned. I emptied my trash but that didn't seem to help.

Comment

Does your computer indicate your drive is full? There is potentially corruption somewhere based on what you are describing. If you check the size of each folder individually, you might be able to figure out where the lost space is at.

Comment

Originally posted by BBECKER39 View Post
              Does your computer indicate your drive is full? There is potentially corruption somewhere based on what you are describing. If you check the size of each folder individually, you might be able to figure out where the lost space is at.
              I'm having the same problem with my wife's 110. Says only 2KB free space but don't see the offending file. Have tried doing a hard reset which did not help.

Comment

memory full message on garmin forerunner 110

Originally posted by BBECKER39 View Post
                You will not get this message if there are only activity files taking up space on your device. (The device will automatically delete your oldest activities.) Somewhere on your device, there are non-activity files that are filling up the storage space. (.fit are activity files, not Autocad Fit Raster Plot files. They are only associated that way on your computer.)

If you are using a Mac, it can create a .trashes file, where it will move all of the files you delete instead of actually deleting them, which will cause these backup files to fill your entire storage capacity. If this is the problem, you need to empty the trash files or just delete the entire .trashes file on your computer. If this is not the issue, you will need to find the location on your device that is filling the storage capacity, and delete the offending files.
                When I read this post I remembered that I had created a Backup Folder for the settings so I could reload them after a system reboot. So I checked and sure enough that folder had been saved to the forerunner instead of to the computer. As soon as I moved it the offending message went away. Thankyou.

Comment

Forerunner 110,says memory full

My forerunner 110,says memory full,I have tried pressing history but it then says "none found"how do I clear the memory so I can use the watch again?
                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  When I read this post I remembered that I had created a Backup Folder for the settings so I could reload them after a system reboot. So I checked and sure enough that folder had been saved to the forerunner instead of to the computer. As soon as I moved it the offending message went away. Thankyou.

Comment

When you connect your 110 to your computer, it should mount as an external storage device, like a USB flash drive. Navigate to the drive and check to see if there are any files or folders on it. There may be something on the 110 that was copied there by accident or a backup folder that is taking up too much space for the 110 to record your activities.
                    Current owner of: Forerunners 305, 310XT and 610; SDM4; GSC10; eTrex Legend; nuvis 260 and 265W
                    Former owner of: Forerunners 405, 201 and 110; ANT+ Adapter for iPhone

Comment

Help I have a brand new Forerunner 110. I have no recorded activities and I am getting a memory full message. How do I differentiate between what should be there and what should not be there. I am totally confused.

Comment

Where is th list of what should be there? How do I differentiate

Where is th list of what should be there? How do I differentiate

Comment

Hi,

Connect the watch to your computer, it will appear as a USB Drive. Navigate to the Garmin/Activities folder. If you just bought the watch and have not done anything with it yet, this folder should be empty. Delete all files in the Garmin/Activities folder and see if this help. You can find more details in the Owner's Manual page 10 under the header 'Deleting History files'

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Fo..._110_OM_EN.pdf

If this doesn't help, do a master reset of you device by following the steps in this FAQ,

http://support.garmin.com/support/se...00000000000%7D
                          Forerunner 210, Garmin Swim
                          http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com
                          http://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/erunnermtl

Comment

Originally posted by MIKECRANSTON View Post
                            Help I have a brand new Forerunner 110. I have no recorded activities and I am getting a memory full message. How do I differentiate between what should be there and what should not be there. I am totally confused.
                            I imagine you resolved your issue, but I had the same message with a new Forerunner 110. There was a file called speed_test.tmp that was taking up most of the memory. It is a file created by windows. It is not supposed to remain, but sometimes does.

Good luck, Mike

Comment

I had the same issue - I have my PC set up so there are no hidden files and found this on my watch - Speed_test.tmp -which is a 5mb file - after a bit of research it turns out this is a windows file.... see below...

Speed_test.tmp is a file created by Windows Vista and above that it uses to assess the speed of the device to see if it should offer to activate ReadyBoost (a boot speed improver) or not... It should normally be deleted automatically but occasionally it doesn't as you've seen.

Remember, make sure you can see hidden and system files - Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X