No announcement yet.

Forerunner 110 froze, lost all data, now wrong time

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forerunner 110 froze, lost all data, now wrong time

I connected by Forerunner 110 this morning to upload my latest run and the Connect interface seemed to get stuck in the upload. Then, it quit and when I looked at my Garmin, it was frozen on the battery charge screen.

I shut it down by holding the light button, but when it rebooted, it had lost all of my history and settings. I reset those and when the watch reset the time (using the automatic function) it was 2 hours behind my time zone (EST).

I've tried everything to get it to get the right time....to no avail.

I had a similar problem with it freezing a week ago, but it rebooted without losing data and I uploaded the most recent software.

Any idea what's wrong and how I can have it reset the time?

thanks...

Make sure you have a file called "gmaptz.img" in the "Garmin" folder on your device. This file is used to determine your timezone. If this file is not present, you should be able to use WebUpdater to restore it.

Comment

how can i determine if that file is on my watch?

thanks for the help!

Comment

When you connect the watch to the computer, it should mount on the desktop as an external mass storage device.

Drill down into the Garmin directory and the files are laid out. The file, gmaptz.img, should be there.
        - Steve

my GC digest

Comment

it is there. Watch still is running behind by 2 hours.

Comment

here's what i did. I changed the setup under time to be MANUAL and adjusted the time forward by 2 hours. I then went back and changed it to Automatic. The time stayed corrected, but not sure if the problem is solved.

Comment

I lost all my data during a connection/freeze/reset as well

I've got the latest firmware (ver 2.20) and yesterday when I connected the USB cable clip to my Forerunner 110 it locked up as well on the charging screen. I reset following the instructions in the manual, which states that no history or settings will be lost.

Well, when it came back up it was fully reset as if I just pulled it out of the box. I had a 10k track on there that was saved (reset), but I had not uploaded yet so this is very frustrating.

I went so far as to run disk recovery software on the mass storage device but no lost, deleted, or damaged files were found.

I hope Garmin is aware of this defect and will correct it in a subsequent firmware release. BTW, I'd call it a defect since the flow which caused this and the outcome was the same for two different people.

Comment

Seriously miffed

Brand new watch, the Forerunner 110, already frozen after only uploading correctly once.

I supposed I'll lose the data from this weekend's and this morning's run.

And from the looks of it, this is happening way too much. I sincerely hope Garmin gets their act together and does something to avoid this problem.

Isn't being able to save and upload the data from runs the key selling point of this product? Otherwise I could have bought a $40 Nike watch, no?

I feel like a fool.

Comment

FR 110 crash after usb usages

I had the same; problem appeared after making regular usb connection between MS Vista laptop and watch.
                  I noticed that before making the connection the laptop usb driver did not regonize the watch and displayed it as a plain external drive while it normally detects it as a 'Garmin'. The watch went into the normal USB state with the Garmin name on the screen, but I noticed that the moving battery charching picture was not changing like it normally does (indicating charching). I waited quit some time, but the watch's software did not reboot/restart automatically (no hw/fw watchdog?) and maintained in the frozen state.
                  I had to search&read the manual which advised me to reset by pressing light key. (left top). This worked well, but all data (history and user settings) were gone. Lucky i did have everything stored on garmin connect and only lost 1 single exercise data.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAWNS321 View Post
                    I've got the latest firmware (ver 2.20) and yesterday when I connected the USB cable clip to my Forerunner 110 it locked up as well on the charging screen. I reset following the instructions in the manual, which states that no history or settings will be lost.

Well, when it came back up it was fully reset as if I just pulled it out of the box. I had a 10k track on there that was saved (reset), but I had not uploaded yet so this is very frustrating.

I went so far as to run disk recovery software on the mass storage device but no lost, deleted, or damaged files were found.

I hope Garmin is aware of this defect and will correct it in a subsequent firmware release. BTW, I'd call it a defect since the flow which caused this and the outcome was the same for two different people.
                    Any news regarding the above? I have experienced the same problem twice since I purchased the watch in April (last time it happened to me was today, August 22).

Would highly appreciate any information just to know if this problem is being addressed at all.

Comment

Same thing happened to me too yesterday...

Just want to report that the same thing happened to me yesterday.

I connected my Garmin Forerunner 110 to the computer (Windows 7, 64 bit), but nothing happened, it just froze. It did not respond to anything when I disconnected it, so I pressed the light button until it reset. When it started up again, all data was lost, and it appears that it was completely restored to factory settings (all settings and data were gone).

Fortunately, only one race was lost...

I have done reset of the watch once before when it hang, but then all data was still there.

I did an update of the software on August 21, so I guess I have the latest version of everything.

Comment

I too have been having problems with mine. I took it off of the charger yesterday and it was frozen. I reset using the light button, and I thought it was fine, except the date was off. Not the date on the main screen, that was correct. But all of my previous work outs were off by a day.

Today I tried to reset the stopwatch to go for a run, and I couldn't get it to zero out. No matter what I did. I finally came inside, uploaded the old workouts, and everything zeroed out and the dates of the workout history seemed to be corrected too.

Sounds like some minor glitches that are causing us users major annoyances...

Comment

Similar problems

I've had similar problems since I updated my Forerunner firmware last week. Have not lost data yet, but constantly have to reset device when connecting to my laptop. Could it be the firmware update - has the update been a common event with everyone?

Comment

3rd time my watch Froze

The GPS takes over a minute to locate the satellites and does not work in cloudy/rainy weather. Several times in my long runs the thing will just freeze with no warning at the end of a lap. I often times do not even notice till four or five miles later. The last time it froze it turned off after a half hour and then turned off. The watch had a full charge and will not turn back on. This is very frustrating!!!!! My watch had all the updates and now is out with Garmin to be "worked on." The process to fix my watch could take up to two weeks. Only having this watch for two months I am extremely disappointed with GARMIN and the 110!! I have a race soon and no watch. This is the first watch I have ever owned and now it may be the last watch. I may just buy a new cell phone.

Comment

has happened to me this morning (froze when I connected the unit to my computer - reset and all data deleted). Just lost my 5 hour bike ride data!!! not happy. Is Garmin looking into this?

Have got latest firmware
                              Last edited by PRICEY_UK; 08-30-2010, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X