Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to add a language to Vivoactive HR?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to add a language to Vivoactive HR?

I just bought online from China a Garmin Vivoactive HR smart watch and found that it only comes with English and Simplified Chinese. Is there any way to add Spanish language to it? Is there anybody who is willing to send me the file for spanish language to me?
    Thanks a lot in advance

Sounds like you bought the "APAC" version of the va-hr (Asian-Pacific). It's actually a different part number, etc. It uses different FW than the non APAC version, and language support is different.
    My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
    Facebook - Instagram -
    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jim_m_58 View Post
      Sounds like you bought the "APAC" version of the va-hr (Asian-Pacific). It's actually a different part number, etc. It uses different FW than the non APAC version, and language support is different.
      So is there any solution for this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Legido View Post
        Apart from buying a version of the device model that comes with Spanish language support (and return the other one you have for refund if you can, or otherwise sell it to recoup some of your costs)? Not that I'm aware.

You created a problem by (possibly not doing proper research and/or asking the right questions of the seller) a commercial transaction, and so the most obvious solution would be to undo the transaction and/or make a different transaction (at some cost to you), instead of a technical one (which I presume you're imagining would be without additional financial costs to you).

Comment

Is there any way to add Spanish language to it?
          Did you try connecting the VA to a PC which has Garmin Express installed? There is a setting "Extras - Optional updates" with more language files.
          Regards,
          Wolli

Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music, Garmin Connect Mobile, Android.

Comment

There is also a way to add your own language but that involves editing a re existing language file and swapping out the translations. I believe a good text editor can open the file no issues.

Comment

hummm, actually, i would be interested in adding Chinese (tranditional) to my vivoactive HR

any ways of doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Damian.Holt View Post
                There is also a way to add your own language but that involves editing a re existing language file and swapping out the translations.
                If you mean simply replacing the text string representations for a limited set of tokens or resources, that won't deal at all with the contents of notifications in the target language (including, but not limited to, message content and sender's name), which I'll hazard a guess is the primary reason why users want their watches to support their native (or local) language.

Originally posted by stockae92 View Post
                hummm, actually, i would be interested in adding Chinese (tranditional) to my vivoactive HR
                Surely spending the money, and buying a version of the VAHR that supports traditional Chinese out-of-the-box, must be the most obvious, (technically and operationally) easiest, and most foolproof way available? I know you said “my vívoactiveHR”, but after you buy the (traditional Chinese capable) replacement, it will become “my vívoactiveHR”.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post
                  (including, but not limited to, message content and sender's name), which I'll hazard a guess is the primary reason why users want their watches to support their native (or local) language.
                  I'm pretty sure the message content wouldn't need to be translated as this would already be in the required language, same goes for senders name.

There's a Facebook group and I know it's been done in there where either a new language was added or the garmin provided one was improved.

Notifications would be sent via the phone and therefore the text would be in what ever language the phone is. So yes I am talking about replacing a limited amount of text strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian.Holt View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the message content wouldn't need to be translated as this would already be in the required language, same goes for senders name.
                    Yes, of course. What I meant is that simply by editing a list of text strings, you would not somehow get full character set support in the font files for general use (including for displaying arbitrary content written in another language), even if you manage to fit all the translated strings within:
                    !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>[email protected]
                    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\\]^_`{|}~ ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬¬®¯°±²³´µ¶•¸¹º»¼½¾¿
                    ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö
                    ÷øùúûüýþÿŒœŠšŸŽžƒˆ˜–—‘’‚“”„†‡•…‰‹›€?™

I seriously doubt that the firmware on any Forerunner will support all of the characters in the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets, Japanese kana (let alone kanji), simplified and traditional Chinese, Thai, and so on, and there is no way for the user to replace the font files on a device to support additional languages as such.

Comment

Backup you "tradchn.ln2" file and replace with this one. Delete txt extension.

Saludos.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X